In this article I will go over in detail the Metabones III Electronic Lens Adapter for Canon EF lenses and the Sony Nex E-Mount Camera System. I tested the Metabones III lens adapter using my Sony Nex-6 and Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS lens so far, and have several high res sample photos for you to check out. I also have a detailed video review so you can see the adapter in my hands and get a closer look on how it works live on my Nex-6.
I’ve been wanting an electronic lens adapters for sometime, but I could never justify the $399 US price, considering how much my Nex-6 camera itself cost. The new Full Frame Sony A7 and A7r changed that justification though, because full frame optical coverage is going to cost a lot more money! I already have several high quality Canon lenses, so why not take advantage? The slightly larger camera body will also accommodate the larger lenses better than the Nex-6 will, although it does a great job in my opinion with the 24-105mm lens.
|The Metabones III lens adapter supports Contrast Detection Auto Focus and Image Stabilization, if the lens has it. The adapter also retains the lens exif data such as aperture and focal length. I do some focus testing in the video below so you can see the speed of the AF yourself. It’s not very fast, but it works and is very accurate.The Auto modes on the camera also work, so the camera can select the aperture for you and limit the shutter speed with aperture control. This is basically all the functionality of a native E-Mount lens with a Canon EF lens. Incredible to say the least and extremely valuable to those with large lens investments from past camera systems or pro gear.|
Metabones III Electronic Lens Mount Adapter
A closer look at the Metabones Canon EF Lens to Sony NEX Camera Lens Mount Adapter.
Lens Side – Canon EF
You can see the lens release lever, the usb port for firmware updates, and the mode button below that in this photo, but it’s a bit dark on the bottom side where the button is. In the video it’s much easier to see up close.
Camera Side – E-Mount:
With the Canon lens and my Sony Nex-6 mounted.
The Metabones Canon EF Lens to Sony NEX Camera Lens Mount Adapter goes for $399 US @ BHPhoto (Click Here), and if you have several high quality Canon EF lenses laying around like myself, you may want to consider checking this adapter out. Especially if you plan on getting on the new Sony full frame cameras or if you already have the full frame Nex-VG-900 Camcorder.
Hands-On Video with My Sony Nex-6
A Few Sample Photos
My best bud Chubs on the deck in direct sunlight.
Layla’s pumpkin near the end…
Layla on the deck in direct sunlight.
Hand-held in really low light and and at the minimum focus distance to the chair baluster. IS really helps!
A lock on the ice chest outside the deli I frequent.
A very quickly processed hand-held HDR Photograph. -2,0,+2 exposures and Photomatix were used to create the hdr.
So far I’m very happy with the Metabones Canon EF Lens to Sony NEX Camera Lens Mount Adapter and I’m looking forward to trying it out on the new full frame cameras and testing out more lens combinations. The image quality is excellent and I don’t notice any flaws in optical quality when using the crop factor sensor Nex-6. Corners look excellent, CA and vignette are pretty much non-existent, and the image stabilization performs excellent on the 24-105mm lens.
That is about it for now, and Happy Holidays everybody! Your support is greatly appreciated and links to the latest Sony gear and deals below…
New Sony Gear links, Black Friday Deals and More…
- All the New Sony Camera Gear @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony A7r (body Only) $2298 @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- In Stock – Sony A7 (Body Only) – $1,698 BHPhoto | Amazon
- In Stock – Sony A7 w/ 28-70mm lens – $1,998 @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony FE 24-70mm F4 ZA OSS Lens – $1,198 @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony FE 35mm F2.8 ZA Lens – $798 @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony FE 55mm F1.8 ZA Lens – $998 @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony A7 and A7r Vertical Battery Grip – $298 @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony A-Mount to E-Mount Lens Adapter (LAEA3) $198 @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony A-Mount to E-Mount Lens Adapter with Translucent Mirror Technology (LAEA4) $348 @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Digital Camera $1,298 @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony W Series Battery Charger – $48 BHPhoto | Amazon
Your support is greatly appreciated as we run this site in our spare time and are not paid. We can however, make a small commission if you click a product link that your interested in. That click will then give us credit if you choose to purchase any given item. This has no effect on the cost of the product, and is a simple way to give back to SonyAlphaLab.com for the effort and info we provide.
Tip Jar: https://www.paypal.me/SonyAlphaLab
Support SonyAlphaLab by becoming a | Patreon
Direct Shopping Links – Thanks for your Support!!
- Sony A7 vs Sony Nex-6 – Depth of Field Compared @ 50mm
- Sony A7 w/ kit lens In Stock @ BHPhoto!!
- Fast Primes On the Sony A7 – Sample Photos – EF 135mm f/2 and MC 50mm f/1.4 lenses
- Sony A7 and Sony Nex-6 Compared – Size, Weight, Build Quality, Buttons, Menus, Ect..
- Using Lens Adapters with the Sony A7r and Live Focus Testing!
- Sony A7 VS Sony Nex-6 – Lab Testing with Kit Lenses..
- The Creepy House – Sony A7r w/ Canon 17-40mm f/4 L Lens – Killer Combo!