Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SAL Photography Challenge #9 - Water

Wonderful composition!
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

Great long exposure Obelix! Love the subtle colors and reflection (also, I'm a sucker for lighthouses).

Heres one with 2 types of H2O. Thick fog was rolling in at sunset & it was really impossible to capture what we saw in the 5 minutes before it was blotted out, but I made a few attempts. Liked this the best. Actually, this is my second edit attempt - posted one already on my other flickr acct, but thought it was not really true to what I saw. First one I lightened too much. Probably should've tried the in camera HDR at the time. This was on the Oregon coast in the small town of Yachats, where we stayed a couple of nights.

fogatsunset07651b
    by Will, on Flickr

Willie

Hardcore Member
    I envy those that live on the Great Lakes or by the ocean. Super photos of the sunsets (Willie and OldNoob) ) and lighthouse (Obelix).
    I have a soft spot for lighthouses....there are also so many cool ones along the west shore of Michigan worthy of a trip one of these days.
    Gear: Sony A6000, Canon T5i, Zeiss 16mm-70mm, various Canon lenses, PS Elements, various Topaz plug ins.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
    Lake Michigan, from Milwaukee harbor just before sunrise.
    Flat out of superlatives on your work, Mr. Obelix. Thanks for schooling us

David, that is a limpid shot of the Mississippi headwaters, especially handheld on a canoe!

I'm with Willie on gazing at the ocean sunset, OldNoob. I'd go with the waves as a focus, too, unless the dolphin was a lot closer.

Thanks for the lovely Alpen fall shot, Phil! Lots to look at there.

Sweet ride, LuSan, even if it is all wet.

Gorgeous waterfall shots, Willie, and that sunset you just posted! I've been quite enjoying your series on flickr.

We went out to Tent Rocks and had an adventure in a slot canyon with a dramatic (and soaking) thunderstorm. When we came out, we went to the lake overlook and saw the product of the canyon washing approaching...

Red tide by Brian C, on Flickr

a6000/ Vivitar 90 S1 f:11 (probably) 1/200 200
    Last edited by BrianC; Aug 18 2015 at 05:14 PM. Reason: fixed link

Thank you guys, here is another one from same morning.

Sony A6000, Sigma EX 17-50 f2.8 OS HSM, LA-EA1, ND filter

Hardcore Member
    Finally found a rowing team on the river. It was an overcast evening and took about 20 shots with a paltry few being much of interest. The only angle I could get was from the side. Would have liked some head on or going away from me views but from the side was pretty much it.
    This one is cropped given the distance and lens I was using and brightened up some. Not tack sharp, but "ok".

Name:  alpharowers3.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  230.5 KB
    Gear: Sony A6000, Canon T5i, Zeiss 16mm-70mm, various Canon lenses, PS Elements, various Topaz plug ins.

Mike

Nice shot Mike. Really like this composition. I find the colors and reflections draw me into the photo.

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post

We went out to Tent Rocks and had an adventure in a slot canyon with a dramatic (and soaking) thunderstorm. When we came out, we went to the lake overlook and saw the product of the canyon washing approaching...

a6000/ Vivitar 90 S1 f:11 (probably) 1/200 200
    Really great shot Brian. Love how you captured the dark clouds and their prior impact on the water - contrasting colors really tell the story well.

Obelix, Like the wider angle on the lighthouse/pier shot - long exposure gives nice softening effect on the water/reflection, while the stopped down aperture picks up detail throughout the shot.

Willie

Willie

David, I really like your shot on the previous page of the canoe scene. Obelix, your sunrise scene of the lighthouse is really nicely captured. I thought it looked like a lighthouse scene on Lake Michigan from this side of the pond instead. Brian, I like the canyon scene and the red tide. I'd love to explore that area. And Mike, the colors of the people in the crew are great, particularly with the reflection.

I was able to rent an A7RII from Friday morning until Monday night this past week. No water shots because I was too busy putting it through the paces (and I even shot a wedding). Pretty nifty little camera.
    Everyday Camera: Sony A7; 55mm f/1.8
    “I am not interested in shooting new things – I am interested to see things new.” -Ernst Haas

Ran out after it rained to finally get back into the water mood.

Name:  grass_rain.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  129.2 KB

Sony A7 and FE Zeiss 55 at f/1.8
    Everyday Camera: Sony A7; 55mm f/1.8
    “I am not interested in shooting new things – I am interested to see things new.” -Ernst Haas

Quote Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
    Thank you guys, here is another one from same morning.

Sony A6000, Sigma EX 17-50 f2.8 OS HSM, LA-EA1, ND filter

If not one of the best shot I have ever seen.
    A very well done from me on this one.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

The caliber of photos on this forum is really getting up there- - I better get more creative. Here are some photos out of my usual element to fit the water theme.

Lens: 16-35mm FE
    Last edited by Panza; Aug 19 2015 at 10:29 AM.
    (Insert list of camera gear that lets others know how much money you have here.)

Really great additions since I last poked my nose in here. It is cool to see even the forum master photographers stretching. Thanks also for the appreciation and feedback on my river/canyon shot, guys!

Here is another from this past Sunday hiking the slot, before I buckle down to work...

Stream/path in the slot by Brian C, on Flickr

It is a good thing to bail on a hike when the slot canyon you're in starts to look like this.
    (Shot w/ Vivitar 90/2.5 f:11 1/60 400)

Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    Really great additions since I last poked my nose in here. It is cool to see even the forum master photographers stretching. Thanks also for the appreciation and feedback on my river/canyon shot, guys!

Here is another from this past Sunday hiking the slot, before I buckle down to work...

It is a good thing to bail on a hike when the slot canyon you're in starts to look like this.
    (Shot w/ Vivitar 90/2.5 f:11 1/60 400)
    River looks like its starting to get bad, bad weather tends to make great pictures though. Seems a bit unbalanced in the composition, right side looks dramatically busier than the left.
    (Insert list of camera gear that lets others know how much money you have here.)

More nice water shots.
    Sean, Like the B&W - nice isolating the droplets with narrow DOF.
    Pan, good aquatic shots, particularly like the Jellyfish.
    Brian, like the brown streaming water over the rocks - definitely time to bail out of that hike.

Here's some everyday water. As I got a drink, liked old brass fountain and the sparkle of the water in sun - this was cropped took about 1/3 from top and right side, as thought it focused on the water better.

Name:  RoseFountain08037.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  223.9 KB

I remembered there being a lot more umbrellas than in this photo .... was quite wet and dreary this day but I had my camera with me luckily. I feel like I could have cropped this better. I have tons of fun with the amount of distortion 16mm has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Panza View Post

The caliber of photos on this forum is really getting up there- - I better get more creative. Here are some photos out of my usual element to fit the water theme.

Lens: 16-35mm FE
    Seaquariums and Aquarium exhibits are much much harder to shoot than most people realize. Or at least they used to be. With todays cameras being able to go past 28000 ISO its gotten easier,, but still there is glass reflection and refraction to deal with. It is a challenge for sure. it's nice to have an exhibit near buy to hone ones skills.
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

Pan, really like that motion rainy day shot in Toronto. Curious, was that using monopod or tripod? Very sharp background for that shutter speed.

Willie

So went to wetlands for an hour today, didn't take a lot of photos but this is my fav straight from the camera

Name:  DSC06277.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  142.1 KB
    I used to own stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Panza View Post
    River looks like its starting to get bad, bad weather tends to make great pictures though. Seems a bit unbalanced in the composition, right side looks dramatically busier than the left.
    Thanks for the feedback, Pan. That tuff wall isn't very interesting unless you zoom in. It is helpful to lean on, though! Not sure if cropping helps that much:

BTW, love your new sig line.
    Last edited by BrianC; Aug 20 2015 at 11:38 PM. Reason: link!
    BrianC a.k.a. cougarox
    Constructive criticism welcome

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

Current gear: Sony a6000, SEL55210, Fotodiox MD-NEX adapter; Garmin GPSMap 64S
    Old glass in use:
    Minolta MD 28/2.8, Rokkor-X 35-70/3.5, Rokkor-X 50/1.4, Rokkor-X 135/2.8, MD 100-200/5.6
    Vivitar 17/3.5, Series 1 90/2.5 macro

Mike, good job on the rowing shot! Like the water capture, motion and eye-popping colors.
    Sean, Your raindrops on grass B&W is lovely.
    Willie, Great stop-motion on that water fountain!
    Pan, that wet street shot is great. Really like the wide angle and motion.
    Andrew, Nice capture on the interesting duck, and the reflection is great.

Thanks for sharing, and for the appreciations and feedback, guys!

Awesome work everybody

Mike, Well balanced pano style composition and it adds to the long sleek design style of the boat in play.

Obelix, Killer frame and certainly a stand out in this tread for sure!

Pan, it looks like you are underwater! Killer streaking taillights shot in the rain as well.

Sean, really well captured!

Willie, loving the fountain flow!

Brian, nice river scene and perhaps a vertical crop of just the river area of the image?

Tikcus, Very nice capture and way to balance the composition with the branches and enhance more with the reflection!

I am off on Monday, so I will get some kind of water themed shot for sure...
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

I was just going through all my photos from August in Lightroom to see if I had anything with water, and I found one! Well, sort of

Layla from the Jase's B-Day party the other day all wet and freezing. She got new goggles and played in the little 3 foot deep pool all day with her cousin's and friends. This snapshot was taken with my Canon 5d Mark II, but I still thought it was worth sharing considering I have not participated much this month...

Thanks for looking,
    Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

A post after a long break . Life had been so busy to say the least . The ideas I get from each variety post is simple awesome . Hard to say which is the best . Too good . Keep posting

Name:  scenery.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  190.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by OldNoob View Post
    Seaquariums and Aquarium exhibits are much much harder to shoot than most people realize. Or at least they used to be. With todays cameras being able to go past 28000 ISO its gotten easier,, but still there is glass reflection and refraction to deal with. It is a challenge for sure. it's nice to have an exhibit near buy to hone ones skills.
    The tip to shooting with a little reflection as possible is: 1. Shoot as close to the glass as possible to reduce the amount of reflections in the glass. 2. shoot away from light sources so light doesnt show the glass
    Fish behave different as well and wont move how you want, stoke somewhere scenic and wait for them to pass by.

more nice shots - ideas!
    Pan, thanks for the tip on shooting aquariums. I still haven't had an opportunity recently, but may have to make one happen to try this out.

Playing catch-up after about 10 days away from the action. Lots of excellent images lately, too many to comment on individually but I would single out:

- The sunsets by OldNoob and Will

- The underwater scenes and train in the rain by Pan

- The lighthouse by Obelix (that one is truly magnificent)

- The red tide and lake vista by Brian

- The waterfalls by Phil and Will

Great work all around guys!

I am severely behind in reviewing and uploading new material but here are two recent shots from Lac St-Jean area in Quebec...

This first one was taken on the beach midday. It was a quick shot and I didn't think too much of it but for some reason it got "explored" on Flickr so maybe it's worth showing here also:

Aground by Stef, on Flickr

The second one was part of a series I did on a river just before supper. I prefer the lighting and effect on this one.

Waterfall by Stef, on Flickr

All taken hand-held using an A6000, with the Zeiss 16-70mm in the first case and the Sony 55-210mm last.

Cheers.
    Stef (leuius is latin for more light)
    Using:
    Sony A6000 + A6500
    (Native E-mount)
    * Sony: 16-50mm | 16-70mm/4.0 | 55mm/1.8 | 55-210mm * Samyang: 12mm/2.0 * Trioplan 50/2.9
    (Adapted to E-mount from SR | C/Y | AD2 | M42 lenses)
    * Minolta: 24mm/2.8 | 45mm/2.0 | 50mm/1.4/1.7/2.0 | 85mm/2.0 | 135mm/2.8/3.5 | 35-105mm
    * Tamron: 28mm/2.5 | SP 90mm/2.8 macro | SP 35-80mm * Tokina: RMC 500mm/8.0 | ATX 100-300mm/4.0
    * Pentax: 50mm/1.4 * Vivitar Series 1: 70-210mm * Soligor: 85-205mm/3.8

Quote Originally Posted by Cinjith View Post
    A post after a long break . Life had been so busy to say the least . The ideas I get from each variety post is simple awesome . Hard to say which is the best . Too good . Keep posting

Name:  scenery.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  190.4 KB
    Beautiful panorama!! Lush forest and clear sky. Great depth!

Name:  LM3.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  261.3 KB
    My sister and her Great Granddaughter enjoying time together on the lake.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  218.1 KB
    My sisters at Lake Michigan.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast