Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SAL Photography Challenge #9 - Water

bit of out of focus sillyness.
    Last edited by OldNoob; Aug 8 2015 at 09:52 PM.
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

Sean,

Killer frames man! Love them both, but the second speaks a little louder with your wife walking and all Great color and all other technicals...

Thanks for sharing,

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Quote Originally Posted by OldNoob View Post
    bit of out of focus sillyness.
    Impressive out of focus silliness

Thanks for sharing,

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Great images Sean. Very effectively conveys a summer mood and a peaceful time...

Thanks Ken for the video and a very nice image on your part too.

Water, water...

I keep crossing fountains these days, so here are a few night and day images of such. All taken with an A6000 and SEL1670Z. Hand-held with minimal treatment in post processing.

The first image is oriented towards the wavy pattern in the foreground (the camera was nearly touching the water - I wish I could have oriented it lower but I would have cut still more of the top - all in all I'm not so pleased with the composition and will want to do this one over) while the second one is focused on water rebounding.

Wavy illumination by Stef, on Flickr

What goes up... by Stef, on Flickr

The next one is really about water vapor in the sky. Captured at Montreal Botanical Gardens yesterday morning.

Vapor filaments by Stef, on Flickr

Lastly, if you hang around a fountain in strong daylight, you are bound to see this...

Natural prism by Stef, on Flickr

Regards.

Very impressive series Stef and all of the images offer something special The foreground wave is a perfect lead in light line and the water vapor in the sky fits so well. Prism's are awesome and I like the vibrancy and punch you captured here. Very cool frame!

I've been trying to get my review work done behind the scenes, but I will get some new photos to share soon enough!

Thanks again for sharing,

Jay

Hardcore Member
    Nice job Stef. Each of the 4 photos is a very different capture.

I went out to the same area of Griggs Dam (Columbus) with the hope of getting some shots of the rowers, but I was too late. I will have to find our what their schedule is and go again. In the mean time, I did take a few:

1) Not exactly an extraordinary shot of a boat and had the guy in the boat been wearing a color other than green it would have been less so, but he helped by wearing a green shirt that coordinated with the background. Having been on power boats in my earlier years I was always memorized by boat wakes (as well as bow waves). The guy in the boat later kicked me off the "private" dock.

Name:  alphaboat.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  298.5 KB

2) This is similar to one I posted recently, but I was able to get closer to the ducks this time for more detail.
    Name:  alphaducks3a.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  124.2 KB

3)Just another ducky shot.
    Name:  alphaDucky4a.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  249.8 KB
    Gear: Sony A6000, Canon T5i, Zeiss 16mm-70mm, various Canon lenses, PS Elements, various Topaz plug ins.

Mike

Come on people, I think you all are getting way too clever in this one.
    I will post one sooner or later I just need to get over the Man Flu and I should be right but I have got a lot of top shot here to compete with.
    I really mean this, I hope some of you are thinking of putting some of you images on the wall as they need to displayed.
    I will use one for instance that should be on a wall is anyone of Stef's shots.
    This forum has some very talented people in it. And yes I mean you.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

Mike the last shot is a Canadian goose.
    I like the movement in the 2 duck capture.
    Stef, the sky in that 3rd shot is killer. And the rainbow is just showing off. Heh.

This is a scene I captured on our walk through the Saugatuck Dunes State Park. The sand dune in the background gives some perspective on the hike we took from the park entrance about a mile or 2 away. I don't do a lot of landscape so this is pretty new for me to try.

Name:  20415462516_0ab328f159_b.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  305.7 KB

Original on Flickr
    Everyday Camera: Sony A7; 55mm f/1.8
    “I am not interested in shooting new things – I am interested to see things new.” -Ernst Haas

Stef, Vapor filaments and Natural prism are the ones my eyes like. Thanks for validating water vapor

Mike, it appears a water elemental has hold of you, man. Grokking water shots, you are. I like the goose best.

Sean, your excellent eye carries you forward on the landscape. Good frame, representative and colorful. Almost looks HDR-ish.

Cheers,
    Brian

p.s. some shots coming soon...
    BrianC a.k.a. cougarox
    Constructive criticism welcome

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

Current gear: Sony a6000, SEL55210, Fotodiox MD-NEX adapter; Garmin GPSMap 64S
    Old glass in use:
    Minolta MD 28/2.8, Rokkor-X 35-70/3.5, Rokkor-X 50/1.4, Rokkor-X 135/2.8, MD 100-200/5.6
    Vivitar 17/3.5, Series 1 90/2.5 macro

Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    Stef, Vapor filaments and Natural prism are the ones my eyes like. Thanks for validating water vapor

Mike, it appears a water elemental has hold of you, man. Grokking water shots, you are. I like the goose best.

Sean, your excellent eye carries you forward on the landscape. Good frame, representative and colorful. Almost looks HDR-ish.
    Thanks guys for the nice comments. I have taken other watery shots yesterday (completely different spectrum) that I will try to display later this week. All in all, this challenge topic is a lot of fun...

Mike, I also prefer the goose but water reflections in general are a favorite of mine.

Sean, that state park is just calling to bring a book and relax or take a long stroll along the beach. I suspect the water is cold though for a swim? Beauty sky as well...

Cheers.

We went in search of water this past weekend, but didn't find much. Most of it seems to be up in the clouds...

Rather Meh to me, but here are a few:

Cochiti Sailing by Brian C, on Flickr

Rio Chiquito crossing by Brian C, on Flickr

Rio Chiquito by Brian C, on Flickr

Cochiti Lake below by Brian C, on Flickr

No water here, but for the cumulus on their way to being cumulonimbus...
    In the burn zone by Brian C, on Flickr
    Last edited by BrianC; Aug 13 2015 at 10:28 AM. Reason: clarification

great shots, i love that last one.
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

Zero interest in technique here - shot on iphone in wobbly canoe - but the subject may be interesting. This cute little stream is the mighty Mississippi River, about 60 miles downstream (I say downstream, even though it actually flows north for the first 40 miles or so - weird!) from the headwaters at Itasca State Park in Minnesota. I vacation near here each summer, and most years we do a canoe trip a few miles down the Mississippi. This is from a few days ago. The Mississippi here is quite different from the one most people are familiar with.

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  283.4 KB

My contribution to the wonderful element of life, water! Made in Rietzlern, Tirol, Austrian Alpes.

Name:  20131020-klein.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  318.6 KB

Sony A77, 16-50 2.8 @22mm, f4, 6s ND1000 applied

Hardcore Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seanlancaster View Post
    Mike the last shot is a Canadian goose.
    Sean....I am not the best judge of critters in nature. If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck are my criteria for identification. I am about as skilled with fish, birds, and plants. Nice photo of the coast and sky. Nice grass too (or are they weeds?)
    Gear: Sony A6000, Canon T5i, Zeiss 16mm-70mm, various Canon lenses, PS Elements, various Topaz plug ins.

Mike

Hardcore Member
    Brian....like the last two in your series the most with number 4 being the leader of the group.
    David....that is a pretty good photo with an IPhone and being in a canoe. I may have to investigate my Iphone's capabilities in the photo realm if you can produce such decent photos.
    Phil....great job on the waterfall plus the interesting rock formations.

Mike

This is how we do 'water' in my house.

Lu, you're all wet behind the ears....
    the HepKitty from Hepcat City.

Very cool shots here. Playing catch-up, as have been out of town past couple weeks and really no internet time.
    Can't comment on all, but do like everything I've seen so far.
    Kudos to Jay for starting things with stellar examples. Keep going back to your macro water droplet on the blade of grass shots. Really find that exceptional. Was that a red flower bloom in the background and that is captured as image in the droplets?

Nothing to post yet, but I'll find something. Sorting through about 1200 shots taken on vacation (probably at least half will get deleted :-)).

Again, great shots from everyone!

Willie

Hard to get everything in focus with such a shot.
    Do you focus on the Dolphin or on the Waves or on the Sun?
    Peacock Designs

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_the_German View Post
    My contribution to the wonderful element of life, water! Made in Rietzlern, Tirol, Austrian Alpes.

Name:  20131020-klein.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  318.6 KB

Sony A77, 16-50 2.8 @22mm, f4, 6s ND1000 applied
    I love the shutter speed you chose for this!
    Peacock Designs

Really some top shots here and great to look at them all.
    So well done to all who have posted here, give yourselves a pat on the back.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

Killer contributions everybody!

Loving the slow shutter speed and silky water, because it just looks like magic every time in my mind

I also really like the sunset photo and would focus on the waves in this particular composition. I would be tempted to see how slow I could get the shutter for wave blur effect, but probably would give up on that quickly...

Really nice landscape shots from Brian, David, Mike, and Sean as well

Lu, always enjoy your car frames and the water drops look great on that car!

Multiple B-day parties going on, but I promise to get something soon,

Jay

Old Noob, think I looked at that sunset so long that I scorched my retinas - I do appreciate a good sunset.
    I have a lot of shots with water in them from past several days, but closest thing I had to water effects so far is my attempt to capture these falls with slow shutter and unstabilized lens. Some were slower and more creamy, but the focus/shapness was not acceptable. Think I should have had a tripod, as not totally content with the sharpness. these were at 1/10 and 1/13 with the sigma 30mm.

madisonfalls07134
    by Willie, on Flickr

marymerefalls07148
    by Willie, on Flickr

Willie

Beautiful waterfalls, reminds me of an area in Washington State.
    Peacock Designs

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    Zero interest in technique here - shot on iphone in wobbly canoe - but the subject may be interesting. This cute little stream is the mighty Mississippi River, about 60 miles downstream (I say downstream, even though it actually flows north for the first 40 miles or so - weird!) from the headwaters at Itasca State Park in Minnesota. I vacation near here each summer, and most years we do a canoe trip a few miles down the Mississippi. This is from a few days ago. The Mississippi here is quite different from the one most people are familiar with.

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  283.4 KB
    This is a peaceful shot. I really like this.
    Peacock Designs

Quote Originally Posted by OldNoob View Post
    Beautiful waterfalls, reminds me of an area in Washington State.

Thanks, yes, these were in the Olympic peninsula area near Lake Crescent. Tried to capture with what I had on hand, but really seems hard to do them justice. Totally agree with your comment on David C's canoe shot as well. Really nice frame & the water/scenery looks very serene.

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by wilmeland View Post
    Thanks, yes, these were in the Olympic peninsula area near Lake Crescent. Tried to capture with what I had on hand, but really seems hard to do them justice. Totally agree with your comment on David C's canoe shot as well. Really nice frame & the water/scenery looks very serene.

Willie
    Hey i've been to lake Crescent! I was there at night. i remember being impressed how clear the water was and that i could see the bottom in the moonlight, in the shallows.
    Peacock Designs

Lake Michigan, from Milwaukee harbor just before sunrise.

Sony A6000, Sigma EX 17-50 f2.8 OS HSM, LA-EA3 adapter, ND filter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast