Thread: Blade 180QX RTF HD kit

Hardcore Member

Blade 180QX RTF HD kit

Not going to call it a 'review', because frankly I don't know what is what to review anything!
    Just observations:

#1: Really easy to assemble, you just have to have tiny fingers and good eyes for the really, really tiny screws that hold the landing gear on. The props are in place, the camera is just a Velcro loop away from being in place and the battery charges through a USB charger. The plastic body is light and doesn't need a lot of thought to be installed, it slips onto pins that have a rubber grommet to keep them from being 'weird'.

#2: The kit should be sold with maybe three or four batteries instead of the one(keep you flying longer).

#3: Flight times are short. About 5-7 minutes depending on whether the camera is riding underneath. Less weight equals longer flying times....

#4: Camera was supposed to include a 2gb microSD card, mine for whatever reason did not have it inside the box? (I sent a message to the support link on the website for Blade-still waiting to hear back from them.) I have since ordered a few microSD class 10 16gb cards from Amazon-they arrived yesterday. The camera supplied is a 720p unit that can be controlled through the supplied radio controller(I haven't used it yet to say one way or the other)

#5: The 180QX is fragile! The ceiling in the living room is not forgiving to the props(it already bent one). Had a pretty good day yesterday(no wind to speak of) and I had it outside for some fun! After making sure the radio was turned on, battery in place and connected....I checked the controller with a 2' hover(all good-let it rip!). Very quick, as it shot straight up with a flick of the thumb-too cool! Flying around at 50-70 feet off the ground is a bit more challenging then hovering around the living room. The props are colored(orange forward/black in back), guess what? At 70' you can't tell which is which!!!

#6: The crash! Yup, it's not if, it's when..... Wheelbarrows are hard. Popped the prop out of its gear hub, and lost a 3x6x2 mm bearing in the grass(even tried using a big magnet to 'suck in up'). So I'm waiting on a set of 'parts' to come in(maybe Wednesday). So that means I've had time to do some more reading about aeronautics, gains on the remote, and a few things about radios in general are now tucked into my brain!

Overall....too much fun. The company might want to think about making sure everything that they advertise is actually in the box!
    I would recommend getting one to anyone that would like to think about aerial photography!!!

BTW........
    I have a DJI F450 with NAZA/GPS/H3-3D/HERO 3+ on the way......it was too good to pass up(got it for less then the camera costs)

I'll get it fixed up as soon as parts come in and then try the camera out.
    Not sure if I have the software to do video? Picsas3 might not be what I need.....and I figure un-edited video might be boring?

Scott (no photo's of the crashing-sorry) B

Nice review Scott and you had so much fun that you went ahead and purchased the DJI 450? It's insane how much fun flying these things around can be

Where did you buy the 450 kit and how much did it set you back if you don't mind me asking? I want one so bad and have been saving!

Where are the photos of the drone in action? Video is a lot more work! I'm sure google has something for free by now, Picasa3 might just be that. Ill look around, but didn't the GoPro come with software?

I only get about 5-7 with my new Hubsan X unit as well, and more batteries are on the way. I did break a blade so far, but it came with spares. Still waiting on the blade guards.

Thanks again for sharing and nice review!

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Hardcore Member
    Ahhhh. Sent PM about the F450.

Update, found suitable bearing locally. So I went and picked it up!
    Flight time: 20 minutes! The quad decided to go 'nuts'....I was leaning on the throttle to go forward and she dropped from the sky! Well, the fence broke the fall....now we are really waiting on parts! Left front arm snapped at the body mount....good thing those come in pairs.

So, as you can see....I'm having way too much fun(sarcasm intended right here). But learning to repair one might be a good idea....
    Certainly be flying this a lot more before lifting anything 'new' with a real payload under it!!! I do need to find a spot with more room and fewer obstacles, but certainly not near water. Parts and soldering will need to be high on the list of 'things to learn' if anyone decides to take up this fun flying.

Well, useless without photo's right? I think so too....was able to finally get with another builder that gave me a few 'pointers' on how to make the camera work. The video quality is adequate(a lot of 'jello'-but that is normal from a camera hard mounted under the frame). Here are a few screen shots from the video it shot @720p

About 45 feet off the ground, hard on the neck while it is directly above me!

Scott (waiting on parts....yeah!!!!) B

Hardcore Member
    BTW, these photo's above are untouched. No crop, no leveling, no tuning.....nothing.
    Think after actually seeing them here, the 'jello' transfers into screen shots from the video more then I thought it would....hmmmm?

Scott (Jay, get the crash pack) B

They look pretty good to me, but I do see the in the corners a little mushiness. I think that has more to do with micro vibrations though? The props have to be perfectly balanced apparently, to avoid any shake. Looks pretty good to me considering the cost of the drone

Thanks for sharing, and always get the crash pack! lol

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

learning to repair the drones is half the fun I say It's just like the RC cars. You know if we were driving those around they would be breaking left and right from crashes as well I kind of want one of those now after realizing the fun of the drone. I was thinking I could make a little track around the house and get a off road style RC can to rip around with. So many toys, so little money for that and time....

Jay
    Last edited by Jay; Aug 25 2014 at 06:22 AM. Reason: typos

Hardcore Member
    Things on this one pretty snap together, but seldom ever break in a spot that is anywhere near it's easy to get ahold of them. Go figure....

Luckily, many, many years ago I had a 'tether car'(the thing could hit speeds of 80mph-as in real miles per hour, not scale). So I already have a pretty good soldering background. The only thing that has changed....the eyeballs. Guess I'm going to need a magnifying glass on a stand with a light source?

Scott (need to make some pens to pay for all this stuff) B

Hardcore Member
    Parts came in yesterday.
    This quad is a 'pull apart quad'. Meaning the arm that was broken just pulled out of both ends and then unplugged, plug new pieces into the motor and 'motherboard'. The new arms' wiring....was backwards on the color coding. That took a minute to figure out why the thing wouldn't spin the right direction?

But she is back to flying!

Scott (got a bigger one now too) B

Awesome news and that sucks the wiring was backwards? Really weird, but nice work figuring it out and let me know what your looking at if your thinking about going bigger at some point

Jay

Hardcore Member
    Jay......ummm, it's already here.

Waiting on the Futaba 8FG radio to get here.........that should be Thursday coming. Then to 'bind' and get the 'BEAST' set-up for my first flight(no GoPro Hero 3 hanging). And it'll probably go up in GPS mode. Only have one 3600mAh battery, so it won't be in the air too long(probably just hover in the backyard). I need to find a spot that is BIG, that doesn't break any of the rules of flight(FAA crap), and is soft(in case I oops).

As far as I can tell....bigger is easier to control. Wide equals stable(just like in the automobile world).
    I guess another 'review' might need to happen? But I can always mount the Hero 3 on a tripod and record the flight.......hmmm.

Scott (Woohoo! bedtime, I'm beat) B

Good news and oh yeah, duh! You got that killer deal on the f450 fully loaded kit! Sorry, I totally forgot! Man, I am losing it Scott

Can you show some pics of the quadcopter parts and what not? snapshots are fine, but I'm curious what the arms look like that broke? I also would love to see the new unit, but good photos of that would be appreciatted. I'm chomping at the bit to just buy something now....... Good thing I can't

I would absolutely use GPS mode and I would recommend getting a gps tracker device for the drone as well. not sure how much they are though. A review is not necessary, just some photos and general thoughts would be awesome, I know you are busy milling wood and what not in your spare time!!

Thanks again and I hope you have a great weekend,

Jay

Hardcore Member
    Jay....

Here is the photo of the 'part' that broke. It broke right at the connecting joint too(sort of a PITA to get out)....of course nothing is supposed to be really easy? Best way to describe this break location would be to follow the orange connector to the 'arm', and then move over to the left to the frame...that is the break spot.

(Apologies, I used a Canon SX10IS for these photo's)

(without the plastic body, props are 4" long for scale)

The new(to me) quadcopter!
    DJI F450 Flame.....too many extras to name now!!!!

(close up of some of the visible 'stuff')

(from above, props are 10" long for scale)

Scott (bet you have questions now....hehehe, does this make me evil?) B

Yes it makes you evil and yes I have questions!! Thanks for the photos Scott and they look great even though a Canon took them I really appreciate it, and what is all that stuff? I recognize the NAZA lite gps module and f450 chassis, but that is about it I see some shinny gold looking antenna and some hardware below that? Transmitter and/or receiver I'm guessing. Oh yeah, if you are ever looking to sell that by any chance, let me know!

Jay

Hardcore Member
    I antenna is for the FPV set-up, it transmits what the GoPro is seeing back to a base station monitor....or goggles!
    The GPS stuff, and the NAZA M module is under the plate....along with the receiver.

The battery pack rides on the top(the Velcro).

You know I'll sell it....hahaha, not even thinking about it.

Scott (not trying to be evil...just happens) B