Thread: Is f:2.8 zoom lens for sony A7 not possible? ?

Is f:2.8 zoom lens for sony A7 not possible? ?

Hi folks
    i am considering upgrading my nex6 for the A7 but so far i am not really happy with the choice of lenses. I must say i need and use autofocus... So adaptors etc... not an option
    So my question is: why there is no zoom lens like 24-70 f:2.8?
    Is it just technically impossible to make a lens what wont be too bulky to achieve f:2.8 for the sony A7?
    Or it will come sometimes in the future?

Actually if it is impossible, then my choice would be a 24mm f:2.8 prime lens
    But nothing close to that on the today's market...
    Any rumours about a 24mm coming soon?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum shaktimage!
    For f2.8 and OSS lens will have to be big, that's why Sony is making f4 and not f2.8 zoom lenses.
    No rumors about 24mm. Here is Sony's FE mount road map

http://www.sony.com.au/DSLR-E-Mount-...-lenses/582208

A full frame 2.8 zoom lens is always going to be big and heavy, specially if its a good quality lens. They can make a lens a bit smaller and lighter, but there's always a compromise in IQ, build quality and price.
    If size (and price) is not a big problem, you can use A mount lenses with the LA-EA4. The Zeiss 24 f2 and the 24-70 2.8 are great lenses.

Sony is going to release one fast prime lens this year, can be a 24, 35 or a 85. But its more like an 85mm.

So no fast zoom lens unless huge and heavy hu?... Then the advantage of mirrorless is somehow not so... Truth is i use canon 5dmk2 with 24-70 f2.8 (90% of the time) and 70-200 f2.8 and i dream about relieving my back from these heavy gears... I started with the nex6 and a prime wide angle (i actually bought the zeiss 24mm and then the sigma 19mm and found the sigma was just fine so i sold the zeiss)

Based on what i have seen online regarding the A7 it look much more pro than the nex6, the settings, etc... and of course the FF sensor. How good is the kit lens? Many online reviews say it is close to the 24-70 zeiss (or ZINO) Will it take hours to turn on like the one on the nex6? I suppose in the future there will be a good 20 to 24mm prime lens with f:2.8 or so

Another question if i may: How is the auto focusing compare to the nex6? I suppose better right? But big difference or small little difference?

Thanks everyone for making there forums alive

hello and great questions with some solid answers already

The A7 focuses about the same as the Nex-6, but better when using the Eye-AF feature in my opinion. Yes no fast glass due to size and weight, so an adapter will be needed. I use my Canon lenses on the A7r with the metabones adapter and it's pretty awesome. More Native lenses will be coming this year, but it's hard to say what. The 24-70mm f/4 Zeiss is not the greatest lens from my experience. I got a bad copy apparently, so I still need to try and get another lens. The kit lens is pretty good overall, but not zeiss sharp.

I hope that helps a little,
    Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

That's it bro... i ordered it...
    At Beach Camera they give you 20% off for an open box A7 (check clearance tab). Then if you order a lens at the same time, you get another 200$ off so i paid 1198$ for the a7 body and 298$ for the 28-70mm, witch is quite funny because if you get the a7Kit as open box, you end up paying 100$ more.
    I thought some of you guys could be interested...

quick question Jay: What Metabones model are you using? adapter, booster? And with it you use the canon glass right? How the focusing works? (i mean a bit slower or very very slow?)
    Couple days ago i had to shoot a dance show and man, the focusing in the "almost dark" with the 24-70 f2.8 Canon (rigged on the 5dmk2) is so fast and accurate... I'll pray that someday it'll happen with these lightweight Sony babies...

Quote Originally Posted by shaktimage View Post
    That's it bro... i ordered it...
    At Beach Camera they give you 20% off for an open box A7 (check clearance tab). Then if you order a lens at the same time, you get another 200$ off so i paid 1198$ for the a7 body and 298$ for the 28-70mm, witch is quite funny because if you get the a7Kit as open box, you end up paying 100$ more.
    I thought some of you guys could be interested...
    Killer Deal thanks for sharing!

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Quote Originally Posted by shaktimage View Post
    quick question Jay: What Metabones model are you using? adapter, booster? And with it you use the canon glass right? How the focusing works? (i mean a bit slower or very very slow?)
    Couple days ago i had to shoot a dance show and man, the focusing in the "almost dark" with the 24-70 f2.8 Canon (rigged on the 5dmk2) is so fast and accurate... I'll pray that someday it'll happen with these lightweight Sony babies...
    I'm using the regular version III with no speedbooster for my A7r. The focus is very very slow compared to a native lens. It's not even comparable really but still usable for most work. Portrait work can be hard with a moving model and AF. It's just not that fast honestly. Check out this video where I did some live testing on the A7r: http://sonyalphalab.com/2014/03/usin...focus-testing/

Jay

Thank a lot Jay for this info and for putting up this video online... Very interesting... I think i am going to look for an old fully manual 20mm good quality lens with cheap adapter and later i'll get a metabone adapter for my Canon L lenses
    Any suggestion for a used 20mm manual lens? Witch brand should i look at? Sorry i just don't know nothing about these old school lenses...

Check out this old school manual lens guide for a list of killer manual lenses on Ebay!! 24 and 28mm seem like the most common wide angles available for a reasonable price. Wider than that and it get really expensive, plus the lenses don't work so well compared to the newer technology.

http://sonyalphalab.com/2012/05/the-...camera-system/

Jay