Thread: But which one - A7-III A7R-III or A9 - Right on the verge of buying...!!!

But which one - A7-III A7R-III or A9 - Right on the verge of buying...!!!

Over the last 3 or 4 months now I've really become to finally get to understand and relish the capabilities of the A6000, which I have had now for about 3 or 4 years (can't remember which). You see when I first bought it, I soon got tired of it's terrible battery life and that led me to simply put it in the cupboard and just carry on using the Nikon D600 and D750. Recently however, I found a way to make up of that poor life with an external powerbank and a corded dummy battery adapter, which gives me virtually endless power (wow, it's really incredible) and I have used the A6000 at every opportunity, experimenting with its settings and modes etc and really discovering what the Sony mirrorless cameras are capable of and I have to say, now I can see why the A6000 may well be one of, if not thee very biggest selling cameras of all time...

However, now that I am really in love with these Sony cameras, I am right on the verge of "stepping up". I have held off from purchasing one of the 3 cameras (in the title) to get over a huge family tragedy, and now inside a month I am finally going to go full frame with the A7-III,, A7R-III or the A9,, only I haven't quite made up my mind - which one..!!! I know that any one of the three will "do it" for me big time but in this countdown month I am going to just watch a few YT reviews and do a lot of reading about them - pro's and cons etc. Originally I was going to settle on the A7III full-stop, but the A7R seems also to be a great camera with extra resolution to boot,, but why the A9..?? In the past month or two the A9 has dropped in price by 'almost' 50% - yes 50%,, and are now virtually the same price as the A7R-III - that's why. This could be a golden chance to pounce,, or is there a newer model on the close horizon or something..??

But why wait a month though..?? Because it's Xmas right now and there things to do, AND, first I have to buy myself a motorcycle that I have also held off from buying for the past year or more... No, I haven't got too much money, just that I have been busy saving and planning my own budget for this for just on a year now while also trying to hang in there to get through the tragedy I mentioned above,, and tragedies of this magnitude is oh so taxing mentally, emotionally and physcally on a family,, but we all have to move on and this is my way of doing so...

Cheers and Merry Xmas, if I don't post anything for a while...

AlSony

Hi,

May be too late to chime in but I think you should consider what you are trying to accomplish first...

A7R3 is about resolution (large printing, heavy cropping, etc)
    A9 is about speed (sports)
    A7.3 is a compromise, but a very effective one, probably the best one out there for the price. Stills and video.

I am also on the APS-C platforms and sometimes I think about upgrading. Very soon now a successor to the A6500 is anticipated. The capabilities and orientation of that body will probably seal the deal for me. I am a bit disenchanted by the A6500. Focus is fast but all over the place. I am finding it easier to use the A6000 in a lot of situations and I can't tell the results apart. So the next A6x00 for me may be an A7.3 because I can't justify the cost difference with its bigger brothers and I expect that the new APS-C body will probably cost as much as the A7.3 anyway. With Sony not putting any real effort in APS-C glass in years, the writing is on the wall to move up but not as far up the price line as the R3 or A9. At least for me...

Good luck!! And happy new year!!
    Last edited by leuius; Jan 5 2019 at 12:38 AM.
    Stef (leuius is latin for more light)
    Using:
    Sony A6000 + A6500
    (Native E-mount)
    * Sony: 16-50mm | 16-70mm/4.0 | 55mm/1.8 | 55-210mm * Samyang: 12mm/2.0 * Trioplan 50/2.9
    (Adapted to E-mount from SR | C/Y | AD2 | M42 lenses)
    * Minolta: 24mm/2.8 | 45mm/2.0 | 50mm/1.4/1.7/2.0 | 85mm/2.0 | 135mm/2.8/3.5 | 35-105mm
    * Tamron: 28mm/2.5 | SP 90mm/2.8 macro | SP 35-80mm * Tokina: RMC 500mm/8.0 | ATX 100-300mm/4.0
    * Pentax: 50mm/1.4 * Vivitar Series 1: 70-210mm * Soligor: 85-205mm/3.8

Quote Originally Posted by leuius View Post
    Hi,
    May be too late to chime in but I think you should consider what you are trying to accomplish first...
    A7R3 is about resolution (large printing, heavy cropping, etc)
    A9 is about speed (sports)
    A7.3 is a compromise, but a very effective one, probably the best one out there for the price. Stills and video.
    Happy New Year to all...
    Leuius, I hear you on that, and it's good advice,, and believe me that's the very argument going on in my head even right now, 3 weeks later. In many ways I think the A7-III is probably the best all-round choice for me, even before price enters the equation (although its lower price would make the deal even sweeter). Even though I like the thought of more resolution (A7R-III) or more options/performance (A9), the truth is that I may not really be capable of consistently taking the quality photos that can take advantage of those extra features. I'm sure that 24 mega pixels is more than enough for most of us.

I think of myself and my style as completely off-hand with no predetermined subjects, an opportunist, as I like to wander around taking quick shots of, well, anything that catches my attention. I really don't take those award winning scenic shots and nor do I do any studio portrait work where you might take half an hour to get the lighting spot on for the mood etc. Yet, some of my shots can be of priceless value and meaning to me, even years later as I browse through them and remember, and sometimes you can surprise yourself with top quality shots that just "happened" eg,, recently my mother died (my father died 4 yrs ago and she really missed him) and now they're both back together again in the same grave. Just before dad got even iller than he already was at the time, I snapped an off-hand shot of them both together hugging on his birthday. It was a bright summers day but inside the house and I thought I might use a flash to even out the light. It was a good call. The shot came out brilliantly, lit up beautifully and virtually no shadows. For me, every aspect of that photo was perfect. My mother was always quite camera shy but she had a real smile on that day and I am so glad I took that shot at that magic moment and that's how I'll always remember the two of them.. You see, perfect shots do happen some of the time.. To me, perfection is a gift which cannot be created because it's already there. Every now and then it presents itself to us, we just have to recognise and appreciate it. That day I was using a Nikon D600 and I am completely happy with the way I take my shots. We all (brothers, wives and I) agreed that when we unveil her, this photo will be on the headstone for both of them,, because it IS them.. I think your contribution may have just helped me make up my mind - the A7-III it appears to be "It". Your wording - "A7.3 is a compromise, but a very effective one, probably the best one out there for the price. Stills and video." - seems to have tipped the balance enough for me to go that way,, I am sure.. Thanks..!!

Oh, it may have to wait once again (hopefully only for a very short spell) as the motorcycle I spoke of also getting in my original post, is being prepared today for me to pick up tomorrow. I was all set to get a less costly sports/tourer bike when I was suddenly presented with what I call the deal of a lifetime,, a bike called a Suzuki GSX-R1000 ABS, brand new and for actually $1,000 less than the sports/tourer bike I was going to get. Normally GSX-R1000 sells for $7,000 local dollars more than what I got it for... I just can't believe I got it at this unbelievably low price (approx a 30% saving on normal price) - 2 days before Xmas, I asked him to hold on to it 'til roughly now, and with a $500 holding fee, he agreed..
    Perfection has presented itself twice to me now.. Once in each of my best loved hobbies - photography and bikes. Hopefully in a day or two I will post a shot or two of the new bike - taken with the A6000 of course..

Wow, what can I say...!!!

AlSony

Hi again,

One thing I forgot to mention (but you are certainly already aware) is that the sensor format of the A7III (any A7 really) being full frame will require you to also change lenses. The E mount lenses that you have for the A6000 will physically fit the A7 but the image circle of native A6000 lenses is smaller than the A7 sensor. This is the difference between E lenses (APS-C) and FE lenses (full frame). The A7 will recognize this and adapt but you will loose resolution.

Ideally, with a new A7*** body, you should factor one or more new lenses. A good compromise all-around full-frame lens is the Tamron FE 28-75mm/2.8. People are saying very good things about this. Not too expensive also. Sony has a FE 24-105mm/4 for much more money (bigger range but slower and apparently very good optically). There are other choices (primes lenses also, depending on your preferences).

So, to recap, do not forget to budget for what goes in front of your new A7***. That investment is likely more important and durable than the chassis itself.

Good luck with the new bike and condolences for your parents.

Stef

Yes, I sort of have the base semi-covered for the moment. That's the one reason I have never (well at least up until now anyway) strayed away from Nikon DLSR's. We all know that the cameras are expensive but the lenses, oh boy, that's where the real money starts draining away. I've been there before and nowadays I tend to try to stick to one or two zoom rather than prime lenses, if possible. With an A7-III I will have to use my existing 18-105mm lens just to get used to the camera (I know the camera will default back to crop lens, it will be a full size cropped photo, but that's not so bad for a while), then I will get a F/F lens in due course, once I find which one will suit my style, probably something like a 24-70 or similar plus a larger zoom later..

Realistically, I should just go straight for a Nikon D850 (currently have a D600 & D750) but they are huge heavy beasts (even more so with with the grip on). The D850 would be hard, probably impossible to beat in the real world by almost any existing camera, and I already have lenses and lots of other goodies just waiting for such a beast, but Sony F/F mirrorless models have caught my imagination well and true. I feel like a fish on the end of a line - hooked and unable to get away. A break from the Nikon heavyweights right now may pay dividends in the future...

AlSony

Advanced Member
    Hi.
    I was about to buy the fujifilm Medium Format, but after renting it, I realized yes, the photos are incredible, but it is BIG ! So I bought an A 9 instead.
    It is a great camera, however, Christine traded in, her fuji camera & lenses, for the A 7 R III and it is incredible !
    I wish I had waited, but at the time, the A 7 III was just a rumour in the wind !
    Also, I guess I felt I was actually saving money, by not buying the Fuji, and trading my A 7 II to the A 9 , meant I could keep my lenses.
    I would go for either the A 7 III or the R III.
    But thats just me.
    Also, going on the 24 - 70 , I would try the Sony Zeis F 4, before paying out for the Sony 24 - 70 f 2.8 , like I did !
    Good Luck !
    Last edited by Wally; Jan 12 2019 at 03:25 PM.

Cheers Wally,
    You know, I have had a "few" Fuji camera's in the past and they have yielded some awesome photos, but I just don't know anything about their newer models - pity..
    Oh heck, you accidentally re-introduced that element of doubt into my mind - "which one?". Just too much time to think, I guess, because just last night another camera came back into mind, a Nikon D850 yet again, only because I have Nikon stuff that I can use on or with it (lenses etc) along with my own working Nikon knowledge. But, it's sort of an outside chance only, as I feel I have been severely bitten by the Sony mirrorless bug.. Deciding which one, right now, has been made even tougher because I find myself very distracted by by my new dream bike that I spoke of in the first post, which I picked up just a few days ago, and by heavens "what a bike it is". In photography terms to me, it is the equivalent of all the above mentioned cameras all rolled into one.. I thought I would have bought the new camera but right now I am trying to run-in this bike so I am a little pre-occupied. Forgive me lord, for I have sinned...!!!
    I'm still thinking but it will happen...
    AlSony

Advanced Member
    WAY !!! Is it a Moto Guzzi 7 III ???

Then forget the Camera !!!!!±!±!!±

You Have My Blessing !!!!!