Thread: I got VR Goggles for Christmas!!

I got VR Goggles for Christmas!!

I really wanted to try out the VR and I finally got the chance!! My gosh this Virtual Reality thing is going to change the near future. Amazing to say the least. I watched this insane alien invasion type virtual reality simulation and was literally scared out of my freakin mind! I was on top of a sky scrapper about to fall and I really felt like I was going to fall. My feet and palms were sweating as if I was going up a roller coaster hill. You know the click, click, click, anticipation as you climb up and up. I'm scared of heights, so that is always horrifying to me I prefer the newer maglev coasters that start down low and just shoot you off!

In any event the fact that the VR can get my fear response to kick in so hard is jaw dropping. I knew I was just sitting in a chair, but the mind is just fooled into thinking your in that virtual reality. It really is unbelievable guys. Makes me question the nature of our reality even more as a side note....

I got the Samsung Gear VR 2016 unit which goes for $89 US @ Amazon

My phone attaches to the unit and then the VR experience begins... Very easy to set-up! I'm still working out how to use my unit, but will report back with the coolest apps and what not that I have found.... This unit is based off the Oculus platform it seams like. I can probably do more with it though once I figure it all out.

So far I highly recommend this unit for cost and practicality purposes. The real deal VR units go for much more money and require powerful computers, plus cords, etc... They are way better for sure, but not affordable enough yet for me to justify.

Anybody have one of these VR things yet??

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Elite Member
    new toys new toys
    Camera : Sony A6000
    Sony Lens : FE 90mm f/2.8 G OSS Macro , 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS, 10-18mm f/4 OSS ultra wide,FE 16-35mm f/4 OSS ZA Lens
    Sigma Lens : 30mm f/2.8 DN

500 px : https://500px.com/stevemeier

Advanced Member
    Nice! What's excellent is watching your kids play with VR for the first time!

We got the DayDream VR for our phones and it's amazing how engrossing media consumption is when the phone is a few inches from your eyeballs!

Steve,

New toys are fun This one seams to make me sea sick though. More than 5 minutes and I'm feeling woozy no matter what app I try. I am very sensitive to motion sickness, so it's prolly just me. I can't help but wonder if it's just not good enough quality though, and perhaps the frame rate is to slow or something like that? I tried a roller coaster and had to shut it off after like 5 seconds. The rooms I can handle, but the motion is just to much for me I guess.

SP,

I did notice my kids were sucked into the googles like nothing I have ever seen before. Jase literally pulled it into his face tight and held it there! I was a little concerned to be honest, but whatever... All in moderation and he got over it after a minute! It's fun watching people react for sure

Thanks for the comments guys,

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Elite Member
    its the rapid view of level change...messing with your head....

balance is determined by inner ear and your eyes and the brain then gives output......you could also have an inner ear issue....
    Sony Lens : FE 90mm f/2.8 G OSS Macro , 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS, 10-18mm f/4 OSS ultra wide,FE 16-35mm f/4 OSS ZA Lens

Whatever it is, i've always been susceptible to it, even as a kid. Getting sick on boats, car sick, any spinning ride, etc.. It sucks, but apparently runs in the family. Based on the inner ear being critical to balance with motion, I can only assume mine are not the greatest in this regard

Jay

Elite Member
    Jay, you should get it checked might be a simple fix?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Jay, you should get it checked might be a simple fix?
    Yeah, I totally should I suppose. I always thought it was something not fixable, but these days it prolly is!

Thanks,
    Jay