Thread: Unedited images....

Unedited images....

I love post processing, and my desire to learn more has grown in the last year in my quest to improve my photography.

However, being one that used to shoot film and then rely on some lab to process my images, I always have the mindset of getting everything right as possible in camera. I shoot action and still life in manual mode, sometimes my manual adjustments mad one the fly have to be very fast. I don't shoot auto ISO, the only auto anything I SOMETIMES use is AWB.

Anyway I thought a thread with some OOC unedited images might be fun. I know a lot of photographers at various levels of skill, one common theme seems to be this 'I'll save it in post' mentality, which I will admit does work.

But imagine if you can nail it with ZERO editing, and do this on a regular basis, then maybe use your editing to give that image a special look. That is how my mind works, though I tend to slightly underexpose which means I need to bring up my image either local or global in post.

Here is a image I shot a few weekends ago, a UNEDITED OOC JPEG from the A7S and the 25mm Zeiss Batis:

the HepKitty from Hepcat City.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    ... I always have the mindset of getting everything right as possible in camera.
    Me too... and I appreciate the time savings of not having to retouch my images when possible. I find the JPEG that is produced by the A6000 to be pretty much in line with my tastes and very representative of what I saw before pressing the button.

So my contribution to this thread would be:

Iris by Stef, on Flickr
    A6000 + Zeiss 55mm/1.8, fully open

By the way, cool image Lucille. Excellent sharpness and composition. I also like the ground texture and reflections. Do you have an equivalent with the tires burning or showing acceleration?

Regards,

Stef

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    ... Anyway I thought a thread with some OOC unedited images might be fun. ...
    What is OOC?
    Amateur and unskilled photographer with a very small collection of gears.

"Out Of Camera" I believe.... meaning un-edited jpeg photos straight off the camera with no adjustments in post

Fantastic image Lucille and impressive capture/ exposure for sure!

Excellent addition Stef

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Both really great shots! Beautifully framed and lighting spot on. Lucille, that's really impressive capturing the detail and shadow like you did facing into those lights. I'd have to say I have relatively few shots that I've taken where I was content SOOC. I think that is part of what makes photography today so much different than when we shot film. Unless you had a darkroom and knew a bit about film processing and dodging and burning, what you shot was what you got.

Really, with digital, I think up to 50% of a great photo can be in your post processing skills. While this is good, it can also be a crutch. The other thing about digital is being able to take 20 or 30 exposures in a situation where with film, you only would have shot maybe 2 or 3 frames. The "film frame of mind" made you think more carefully regarding the settings and composition, where digital allows us a shotgun approach to shooting, where we may spend less time seeing the image and settings in our head & just do multiple exposures to cover all bases. Then we review and delete when we get home. The bad thing about this approach is the reviewing/deleting/editing can become tedious. Also, we probably don't learn as much from our deleted shots as we should because we don't have the time to review each deleted image for the settings and try to analyze what was wrong.

Another interesting approach I've tried is "shoot like it's film". On a given day, just allow yourself 12 exposures. No do overs - so you think to make each exposure count. I've only actually completed this exercise once, though I've started it numerous times, but caved in and shot more (not wanting to miss a shot after my roll had been exposed). The one day I completed this exercise, I only liked a few of the 12 exposures, but found it to be a good learning experience. If you really want to go old school with this exercise, select one ISO to stick with for all 12 frames.

Perhaps the next SAL Photography Challenge should be SOOC? Could be fun and especially challenging. I do want people to participate though....

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Was trying to think of an image I didn't have any need to edit and this one came to mind. I give credit mostly to nature though. I did have it underexposed 1/3 stop to further enhance the color, but this was pretty much what it looked like with the naked eye.
    Name:  DSC00201.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  215.0 KB

Gorgeous image Willie, wish I were there!

Elite Member
    Hi All,

I am truly envious of you guys skill...that has come from many hours of hard graft.
    I do try to get it right in camera but I still have a long way to go to develop that level of skill you guys show.

SO I do rely on Post to help....so I do shoot in raw now only.

I must admit I am getting better but still have long way to go since really only been serious for about 1 year now...

great shots folks awesome level of skill.
    Camera : Sony A6000
    Sony Lens : FE 90mm f/2.8 G OSS Macro , 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS, 10-18mm f/4 OSS ultra wide,FE 16-35mm f/4 OSS ZA Lens
    Sigma Lens : 30mm f/2.8 DN

500 px : https://500px.com/stevemeier