Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: SAL Photography Challenge #14 - Patterns

Hardcore Member
    This macro thing has captured my attention for sure. Finding patterns by making the small world large has been a great deal of fun.

Name:  leaf 1 (Copy).jpg
Views: 343
Size:  169.9 KB

Name:  prism (Copy).jpg
Views: 340
Size:  132.9 KB

Name:  WATCH 5 (Copy).jpg
Views: 341
Size:  351.9 KB
    Gear: Sony A6000, Canon T5i, Zeiss 16mm-70mm, various Canon lenses, PS Elements, various Topaz plug ins.

Mike

Excellent macro and pattern work Mike

I took a few really high ISO snapshots at work the other day while I was installing a really impressive piece of equipment for our up coming fiber to the home roll out. It will be able to accommodate the new influx of data and then route that data where it needs to go. I was using my old Nex-6 and 18-55mm kit lens, so the quality is not the greatest as the lighting was really terrible overhead fluorescent etc.. I thought the patterns were cool and worked for this challenge though

The circuit boards were some of the heaviest and most complex I have ever seen! About 2 x 2 feet in size and about and inch thick I would say. No idea what they cost, but usual in the 10's of thousands...

Another piece of equipment close by.

Back to my 7750 install

Had to put new 100amp breakers in, run the really heavy 2awg power wire and then step it down to 4gauge in order to terminate in power distribution shelf.

Sliding in one of the cards

Here is just a shot of the entire box so you can see it if curious..

Thanks for looking and I think its time for a new challenge soon.

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Quote Originally Posted by wilmeland View Post
    Stef - Great shots - really like the water beads on leaf and sparkles patterns in that last one. Not sure what that is, but almost looks like water running over a tiled fountain, though I gather it's reflecting off some type of material.
    Thanks Willie, the subject is a windshield heat reflector in direct sunlight. No water, just shiny texture.

Also, I like the boiling water series from Gramps and the drain whirpool from Christopher really hits the spot...

Spencer, great wide angle coverage from that Batis lens. Gorgeous composition and peaceful grace.

Nice architectural work from "the captain" and natural patterns from Steve and Gramps.

Good macro imaging from Mike... I love macro!

Jay, I was interested in your hardware series. No way can I take a camera into our computer rooms, even cell phones need to be checked in before access is granted. Cool motherboards; you just feel the power from those heat sinks and electrical connections. Clean geometric patterns, like it should in good engineering.

By the way, the carpet image was not modified, just taken at an angle.

Great turn out on this challenge.

Stef

Here are a few recent ones... at relatively small scale:

Bullseye by Stef, on Flickr
    A6000 + Minolta MD 135mm/2.8 at approximately f/8

New season by Stef, on Flickr
    A6000 + Tamron SP 90mm/2.8 macro

Exponential by Stef, on Flickr
    A6000 + Tamron SP 90mm/2.8 macro

Stef

... And at the other end of the spectrum:

Sky drama by Stef, on Flickr
    A6000 + Zeiss 16-70mm/4

And of course, no challenge would be complete without:

Moon on day 5 by Stef, on Flickr
    A6000 + Tokina AT-X 100-300mm/4 + Zeiss 2x Mutar II

Cheers,

Stef

Incredible additions Stef and thanks for the comments about the previous frames Loving that water drop splash photo and unbelievable sharp moon frame in particular!!

Thanks again for sharing,

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Elite Member
    nice shots of the gear in data centre Jay....

is it alcatel lucent, juniper...(use to work for NZ's largest telco...so seen many of their data centres....and fibre work...mainly alacatel lucent and juniper and cisco at some edges.
    Camera : Sony A6000
    Sony Lens : FE 90mm f/2.8 G OSS Macro , 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS, 10-18mm f/4 OSS ultra wide,FE 16-35mm f/4 OSS ZA Lens
    Sigma Lens : 30mm f/2.8 DN

500 px : https://500px.com/stevemeier

Wow! Lots more in the patterns! like them all from the church, to the electronics and macro shots. However, I have a thing for water, so have to say my favorites are the shots with swirling, bubbling, splattering and really like the still waters too, particularly the tide pool shot.
    Funny, when this challenge was announced, didn't envision everything that has been presented here.

Willie

Inspired by Mike's glass experiments in the previous pages... an experiment of my own:

Golden glass by Stef, on Flickr
    A6000 + Zeiss 16-70mm/4.0, long exposure on tripod, directly from camera

Lighting glass with controlled reflections can be a pain, but when it works...

Cheers (literally)!
    Last edited by leuius; Jun 18 2016 at 07:36 AM.
    Stef (leuius is latin for more light)
    Using:
    Sony A6000 + A6500
    (Native E-mount)
    * Sony: 16-50mm | 16-70mm/4.0 | 55mm/1.8 | 55-210mm * Samyang: 12mm/2.0 * Trioplan 50/2.9
    (Adapted to E-mount from SR | C/Y | AD2 | M42 lenses)
    * Minolta: 24mm/2.8 | 45mm/2.0 | 50mm/1.4/1.7/2.0 | 85mm/2.0 | 135mm/2.8/3.5 | 35-105mm
    * Tamron: 28mm/2.5 | SP 90mm/2.8 macro | SP 35-80mm * Tokina: RMC 500mm/8.0 | ATX 100-300mm/4.0
    * Pentax: 50mm/1.4 * Vivitar Series 1: 70-210mm * Soligor: 85-205mm/3.8

WOW, that is incredible Stef!! The symmetry is remarkable and the lighting is also extremely good as I know how hard that can be Really excellent job and inspirational shots by Mike to get this vision going...

Thanks for sharing,
    Jay

Inspired by the awesome Bokeh pattern work posted in this challenge so far, I just created these courtesy of the NEW FE 85mm f/1.4 GM Lens, and my A7r.
    The circle bokeh patters are mesmerizing with this lens!!

Bokeh Fun by Jason, on Flickr

Bokeh Fun by Jason, on Flickr

Thanks for looking,
    Jay

Elite Member
    luv this image Leuius.....masterful.

can you explain how you did this...as I struggle...with lighting

Cheers
    Steve
    Sony Lens : FE 90mm f/2.8 G OSS Macro , 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS, 10-18mm f/4 OSS ultra wide,FE 16-35mm f/4 OSS ZA Lens

Cool bokeh Jay. Very even and round. Second picture is my favorite; the blurred table is exceptional.

Steve, with regards to the lighting I used for the glasses, the following diagram (not to scale) should give you an idea:

Name:  golden glass lighting.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  32.1 KB

The most critical aspect of this setup is the placement of the reflecting boards (red elements). They need to clear the field of view (dashed lines), be slightly inclined away from the glasses and aligned one to the other and with the glasses. They are roughly the same height as the glasses. Notice that the glasses separation increases a little towards the back. I used soft-boxes as primary lighting but anything that is not-too-hard should work. Try not to illuminate your lens but you need to clear (be higher than) the reflectors. You can adjust the light source under the table to your taste (power, color, orientation). The back of the glass plate resting on the table is your horizon line.

Hoping this helps...

Stef

Jay, I'm with Stef, great bokeh & that second image is really nice.

Stef, Great shot and very impressed by the planning/set up behind it. You really pulled that one off very well.

Willie

Hardcore Member
    WOW Stef......amazing photo of the glasses and well done!!
    Gear: Sony A6000, Canon T5i, Zeiss 16mm-70mm, various Canon lenses, PS Elements, various Topaz plug ins.

Mike

Thant illustration is excellent and thanks for sharing such a detailed visual explanation

Jay

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leuius View Post
    Cool bokeh Jay. Very even and round. Second picture is my favorite; the blurred table is exceptional.

Steve, with regards to the lighting I used for the glasses, the following diagram (not to scale) should give you an idea:

Name:  golden glass lighting.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  32.1 KB

The most critical aspect of this setup is the placement of the reflecting boards (red elements). They need to clear the field of view (dashed lines), be slightly inclined away from the glasses and aligned one to the other and with the glasses. They are roughly the same height as the glasses. Notice that the glasses separation increases a little towards the back. I used soft-boxes as primary lighting but anything that is not-too-hard should work. Try not to illuminate your lens but you need to clear (be higher than) the reflectors. You can adjust the light source under the table to your taste (power, color, orientation). The back of the glass plate resting on the table is your horizon line.

Hoping this helps...

Stef

Thanks Stef ...thats a great Help....so much to it...

Can I ask Stef...

On the glass base and in the image at the bottom...you can just notice the glasses reflected....whats does the full reflection look like....do you have a capture of it with full glass reflection also? or is it only reflected a little bit ?
    Last edited by Steve; Jun 20 2016 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    On the glass base and in the image at the bottom...you can just notice the glasses reflected....whats does the full reflection look like....do you have a capture of it with full glass reflection also? or is it only reflected a little bit ?
    Hi Steve,

I don't have a picture of the fully reflected glasses, it would have required more reflecting surface than what I had up front, a more compact configuration of the objects placed further back or a more inclined point of view. There is a picture with a different perspective here where you see a bit more of the reflected portion below but the lighting was also different as I was trying various combinations.

I might revisit this subject in the future and maybe a fully reflected image could work. In particular I am thinking of a diamond-shaped glass configuration and others using water-filled glasses. I didn't have time the first time around to explore all variations.

Regards,

Stef
    Last edited by leuius; Jun 20 2016 at 06:08 AM.

Backlit birch:

Taken handheld with a Sony a6300 and Zeiss 24mm, 1/60sec, f/11, ISO 640

Weirdly, I liked this a bit one less in full color.
    - Christopher

Two is one, and one is none.

a6000, a6300, a6500, A7II, A7Rii

Elite Member
    thanks Stef...had a look..very cool...the one on here I like better...but awesome to see from another side

I think some of the shots posting this have really got our thinking matter working on how to get a just right image for this section.
    I have to say I am more than a little stunned by the quality of what has been posted, so well done to you all for your images.

My wife bought a new throw thingo and I seen the patterns in it and knew I had to get a shot of it.

Name:  DSC02397 - Copy.JPG
Views: 222
Size:  170.2 KB
    Brand new and I got the shot
    Name:  DSC02397.JPG
Views: 221
Size:  229.8 KB
    A tighter view of it.
    Last edited by Gramps; Jun 22 2016 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Adding photos
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

Was on a bike trip across England a couple of weeks ago and stopped off at Lincoln Cathederal to take a few snaps. Was just using the kit 16-50mm lens on my a6000 as I was travelling light and tried this one hand held and no flash. It was the patterns on the wall that caught my attention and I was pleased and surprised that it turned out at all.

Name:  Comp 1 13-11-15 LR-22.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  305.7 KB

Very nice back-lit capture Christopher and the B&W really makes the pattern detail pop

Killer pattern Gramps and enjoy the colorful rich detail in both images!

Loving the stained glass cathedral photo John

Awesome work everybody and thanks again for participating in the photography challenge!

Here's a few from the playground exploiting the Sony FE 85mm f/1.4 GM Lens as best I could with the given environment.

Jay

Advanced Member
    Took this on a foggy day, A7 II w 18 - 200.

And this is a wedge shaped building dividing 2 streets in London.

Cheers.

Sorry forgot this, in the rush.
    Last edited by Wally; Jul 2 2016 at 04:44 PM. Reason: FORGOT ONE, SORRY !

Excellent pattern themed frames Wally! Both of them offer some serious eye candy

Thanks for sharing,

Jay

Advanced Member
    Thanks Jay, I got confused in all the lightroom > photobucket > post, thing so I forgot the spiral staircase, sorry.
    I cannot remember what I took the staircase with.
    Cheers

Oh Wow Wally, that spiral staircase is incredible! Really excellent capture and I always wanted a shot like that, but have yet the opportunity to see one in person

Thanks again for sharing and I forget images all the time in posts, so don't sweat it...

Jay

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Thanks Jay, I got confused in all the lightroom > photobucket > post, thing so I forgot the spiral staircase, sorry.
    I cannot remember what I took the staircase with.
    Cheers
    I luv the stair case..I luv the effect on the eyes and brain as you work out which way its going and where photo was taken from.....so cool

Advanced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I luv the stair case..I luv the effect on the eyes and brain as you work out which way its going and where photo was taken from.....so cool
    I Think it was in one of the UK parks, around London, perhaps Greenwich, anyway I lay down with the camera on the floor, and I took a series of shots as I moved it slightly, before another group of people came therough, and that one was as central as I could get
    Cheers

Here is a classic nature pattern taken on the deck last night I would have preferred a more straight on shot, but due to the lighting I was limited to an angle like this. Therefore the Fibonacci sequence is not so prevalent...

Thanks for looking,
    Jay

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast