Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sonyalphalab.com hacked?

Sonyalphalab.com hacked?

I can get to forum (typing domain directly) however every time I try to reach main website it instantly re-directs to a buy this domain page
    Does not happen on any other site (only checked with MS Edge)
    I used to own stuff

Yup, hacked yet again This shit is becoming more trouble and cost than I can continue to bare, I must tell you. It jus keeps costing more time and money with no return on investment at all other than having a cool website of course. The forum is the best part with the community of friends, but man the game is just rigged against me it seams like more times than not.. I have a full time job already, so this is killing me for real...

Most people think websites like this make a lot of money, but the fact is they do not. At least mine certainly does not make enough to justify it on any level these days.. sorry for the bitching, but I'm at the point of wanting to give this "side job/ reviewing gear hobby" up.

I pay a company to watch my website, and they are looking into it now. Not sure how long it will be down or the extent of the damage yet...

Best,
    Jay

Sorry everybody,
    Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Hardcore Member
    I have been having the same problem as Tikus when I try to sign in through my AOL browser but am able to through Google Chrome. I thought it was a problem with my computer and ran an malware program that turned up no results. Now it seems to be an outside hacker that is the issue. Would sure love to know who and why. Makes me want to be a violent person.....grrrr.
    Gear: Sony A6000, Canon T5i, Zeiss 16mm-70mm, various Canon lenses, PS Elements, various Topaz plug ins.

Mike

A Trojan virus was found by my anti virus just after visiting in my web browsers cache, so as a precaution I would recommend people run a full virus scan
    I used to own stuff

Oh no! Coming to the forum directly, using Chrome, I am not catching anything. Getting hacked is horrible. FWIW, I empathize, Jay. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Hardcore Member
    I've had a website going on year four(in about a month). It does a little better then break even-ish....but it is a ton of work. Giving up the time to do it is getting to the point of, eh? why bother? in my mind lately.

It has the ability to have a forum, but I certainly don't want to go there.....not enough time. With that said, I understand the hours you give up.....and wish to thank you for doing so. I'm going to turn a bowl tomorrow, and forget about 'work'..... You should go have a photo trip, without the hassle of trying to 'review' something soon Jay.

Scott (just a few hours of nothingness) B

I often wonder if these hosting companies don't do this from time to time to encourage the customer to pay for extended or higher hosting packages.
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

I know I have never (directly) made money from a website, although I have never tried to.

However with the work that goes on here, Jay deserves to make something.

The firm you pay jay, needs to find out how they hacked the website, not just fix the problem.

Good luck
    I used to own stuff

Thanks guys for the support. I think it's time for a change though, sorry.. Time to enjoy life a bit more and stop working all the time. If I could justify the time with something tangibly worth while, that would be different. It's literally just getting more expensive and the small amount of money I make, ends up costing me in the end on my taxes anyway. Pushes me to another bracket which means they take almost half in the end. So, it's in my best interest to not make more money than I already do from my regular job. If I make more, I lose a lot more in the end. Not only time, but money also. I know this might be hard to believe, but when you do things the honest way, it really does not pay often times in this world. It's a real shame to get punished for working hard, but sometimes that is just the way it is.

Future plans at the moment? Not sure, but spending all my spare time on this website is not going to happen anymore. I think I might start up a JasonHermannPhotography website and just do whatever I want when I get time. Perhaps that will be a more rewarding path for me at this point in my life. The youtube channel is doing pretty good, so Perhaps I will keep doing those reviews. As far as the main website, and hosting it's just not worth the trouble anymore. The reward is not outweghing the work or time involved.

I love helping people and that is how all this started. Perhaps I can get back to basics without killing myself somehow?

Thanks again everybody and I will update when I have more information. I'm trying to not let this get to me, but it really is stressful as heck and I have just had it.

Sorry for the bad news and poor attitude, but I'm just being honest as I always try my best to do. I really don't want to give up on this, but I really don't see another option at this point. The competition is out of control these days, and I honestly can't compete with the limited amount of time I have. Therefore, this venture is dieing a slow death as it is. Sites like SonyAlphaRumors are doubling down with the features, forums, and mini-sites, and so fourth...

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Sorry to hear that Jay. However, I can totally understand what you're saying. Life is too short to shortchange yourself and your family. This site and the members have provided a lot of great information and entertainment, but sounds like it's not working for you. So, whatever happens here, just wanted to express my appreciation for what you've provided.

Willie

So sorry to hear about this. In the end, it isn't worth the stress.
    the HepKitty from Hepcat City.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    So sorry to hear about this. In the end, it isn't worth the stress.
    I agree. It's truly unfortunate that the "bad guys" (hackers) won out in this case. It's hard for me to understand what they think they are proving other than causing grief and then hiding away. Truly a sad state for society in general... and getting worse.

If/when you do close out, please leave a way to contact you personally (you already have my email for the newsletter). I would extend this to many members here which I have enjoyed discussing with and watching pictures of. Loosing that "connection" would be the saddest part of this story.

Jay, thanks for the initiative of building and maintaining this site. It truly was an eye opener for me on so many fronts.

The best to you and your family, always.

Stef

Thanks guys The site should be fixed at some point today I was told. After that I will figure out what I'm going to do. I have some options, so perhaps I can start over and do an even better job using the newer technology that I don't have to worry about. Youtube for example costs me nothing in sever cost, it shouldn't get hacked, and so fourth... If I use a name that doesn't have Sony in it, I might be able to get equipment from Sony directly? Imagine that....

Thanks again for the support, and unless the site gets hacked again it will be back to normal soon.. I will also do everything possible to keep all the content up and in tack!

Jay

You won't escape the hepkitty....

I'll troll you on UTUBE......
    the HepKitty from Hepcat City.

A server admin friend has advised me a lot of sites are being hacked through holes in JavaScript used for a lot of the advertisements.

Although I like reading reviews, video reviews are probably the future.

Good luck with whatever you decide
    I used to own stuff

Working on something here and would love to hear your thoughts? Invite Only, so we can keep the folks we don't want out easily... Just playing around

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communit...63330947305157

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    You won't escape the hepkitty....

I'll troll you on UTUBE......
    Thanks, and I was looking forward to more trolling over there

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Working on something here and would love to hear your thoughts? Invite Only, so we can keep the folks we don't want out easily... Just playing around

Jay
    Like it, clean looking and easy to navigate
    I used to own stuff

Looks like a good alternative Jay. BTW my google account is in my wife's name, in case you don't recognize the name with request to join. Email acct name is same as here though.

Willie

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post

As you can tell, I've happily dived in over there. Thanks for the invite! Very handy for a Google user like myself. The forum still has some significant advantages, but you have done a great job mirroring the forum structure on Google +

It's BACK

If this does close the doors then this will be sad, though I think most are fully understanding just why.
    No we won't like it but if this is what has to happen then so be it.
    Most of this stuff is over my head, though I will miss it if it was to fold.
    But family and your own welfare should always come first.
    So for ever how long this continues I will be here.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

Looks like sonyalphalab.com 's front page is still have the scripts redirecting to third party site is still there.
    At least on my visit:
    visit http://sonyalphalab.com or click any of the category, it will be redirected to chiefcake dot com

My guess is someone injected redirection scripts into comments or into one of many advertisements or fancy plugins.
    Amateur and unskilled photographer with a very small collection of gears.

Quote Originally Posted by antony View Post
    Looks like sonyalphalab.com 's front page is still have the scripts redirecting to third party site is still there.
    Same here Antony .Anyways good to see forum back online . The more popular your website is, the more likely it is to get hacked . If it is a vulnerability in the VBulletin software that is being exploited the hosting team would also be helpless in preventing the attack . VAPT -Vulnerability Assessment & penetration testing on the server to an extend can help to identify & plug the vulnerabilities . Jay if any option like Crowd Funding can be of help to you to bring back the forum live & better , please do count me in .

Same here, redirected to chiefcake dot com

Quote Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
    Same here, redirected to chiefcake dot com
    Yeah, think Jay's disappointed with his current web hosting service, as they say they're working on it, but haven't fixed. If you do want to read any of the main site articles, you can stay on the page, by clicking the "x" by address or whatever stops your web browser from loading. Just have to do it immediately after page loads, before re-direct. Then any time you change page to load new page or link, must do same. PIA, but worked for me for reading a review the other day.

Hopefully Jay can locate another provider and move things, since it seems like this one is not responsive.

Willie

I'm pleased the forum is backup, I did some research on the virus I found in the browser cache after visiting site while hacked. It is a Trojan which infects systems through compromised java script on a site.

It may have been compromised through the adverts on the site (apparently this is not uncommon) or just old/unsecured scripts on the site.
    I used to own stuff

Looks like the main website is hacked again, but the New SonyAlphaLab Google+ Community is really going well. It's so easy to share content in seconds as apposed to minutes like it takes over here

Hackers suck!

Jay

Google+ has its advantage, but for those who concern about privacy, especially those believe Google has too much information about you... want to say away from Google+ as much as possible.
    Amateur and unskilled photographer with a very small collection of gears.

Quote Originally Posted by antony View Post
    Google+ has its advantage, but for those who concern about privacy, especially those believe Google has too much information about you... want to say away from Google+ as much as possible.
    I understand that Antony and I am sorry, but it's a lost cause these days in the USA anyway. We are all tracked by the NSA on every level, so I gave up a long time ago... Sharing photos and other innocent things should not attract negative attention and only members of the community can comment on photos, so you don't have to worry about hate posts or anything like that.

Sorry everybody, but I can't seam to keep up with these hackers or find anybody that can help me that is trust worthy and reasonable priced. WeWatchYourWebsite.com is the company I am using and they completely failed me this time. No help and horrible communication this whole go around. Almost like they are involved in a creepy way as bad as that sounds... Last time they seamed to help quickly.

Not sure what to do with such little time. I'm finding Google+ the best way for me to get the info out there and share content at no cost to me personally. I really wish things were different, but the hackers are clearly out to get me. It's happened to many times for me not to be a target for whatever reason. Perhaps they hate Sony cameras? No idea...

Next month my real job work load changes and I will have more time on the computer to hopefully figure out some of this crap.

On another note, the Hangout test went pretty well and will certainly work for some fun interaction in the future! We can have like a live photography club meeting video conference with Q&A and up to 10 presenters unlimited viewers... Very powerful and potential to do great things if we can get it together of course

Thanks again for your understanding everybody and if you know anybody that can help me fix my website that would be awesome!

Jay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast