Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SAL Photography Challenge #10 - Planes, Trains, and Automobiles...

Lightbulb SAL Photography Challenge #10 - Planes, Trains, and Automobiles...

Ok fellow photo friends, how about some transportation photography for this month!

Planes, Trains, Automobiles, Boats, Bicycles...

I know I have a ton of car shows going on in my area, as do many other folks...

Goals of this challenge:

• Expand your photography skills and knowledge, by trying to capture some planes trains and automobiles...
    • New Photography please, but sharing a older photo to illustrate a concept for learning or teaching purposes is totally cool!
    • Get out and about to places you have not been before. car shows, car museum, train museum, plane museum etc...

Getting creative and bringing it to the next level

• HDR Photography
    • Panning to capture motion blur effects and more
    • Light painting

A few older Sample Photos to get things going:

Thanks for looking and playing,

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Hmmmmmm.........
    the HepKitty from Hepcat City.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Hmmmmmm.........
    lol, oh yeah!

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

my 571 hp Twin Turbo GTO, Sweet Maybellene.

Sony A7R MII & 16-35mm Zeiss f/4

I would not mind getting a ride in that rocket ship Nice capture Lucille and thanks for being the first poster to the new challenge!

Jay

Couple of my older shots for Photoshop and framing illustration.
    Plane is mounted on to the large concrete post that I cloned out in PS

And this one is without PS, just framing around post and mount

Full shot with all distractions.

Very nice work and editing skills Obelix! Really cool trick

I took these to Auto HDR snap shots earlier today with the New Sony A7r II and my Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L Lens via the Metabones III lens adapter. Version IV of the adapter and the 24-70mm f/4 OSS ZA lens is also on the way...

It's a kit car and not the real thing for those wondering...

Sony A7r II - Auto HDR by Jason, on Flickr

Thanks for looking,
    Jay

Here is one more from today using the same set-up as above...

Thanks for looking,
    Jay

Take this one about a week ago with the RX100 IV. Not a great photo but a start
    Going out to search for some photos

Name:  DSC00027.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  207.9 KB

Sony A7S - 16-35mm Zeiss f/4

Quote Originally Posted by FlavioRoss View Post
    Take this one about a week ago with the RX100 IV. Not a great photo but a start
    Going out to search for some photos

Nice detail......

I knew we'd hear from Lucille. She's in her element now.

Jay, your HDR work on vehicles is awesome!!!

Obelix, I thought that jet was flying. You do some great Photoshopping. Love it.
    Everyday Camera: Sony A7; 55mm f/1.8
    “I am not interested in shooting new things – I am interested to see things new.” -Ernst Haas

Name:  edit-1-5.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  184.2 KB
    I have always enjoyed photographing cars. From the small details to a parking lot full.

Quote Originally Posted by seanlancaster View Post
    I knew we'd hear from Lucille. She's in her element now.

Jay, your HDR work on vehicles is awesome!!!

Obelix, I thought that jet was flying. You do some great Photoshopping. Love it.
    Agreed with Sean on all counts. Cool shots!

Here is one of the Durango and Silverton narrow-gauge engine I shot in Silverton, CO this past weekend:
    Durango & Silverton engine by Brian C, on Flickr
    Kit 55210, ƒ/5.6 153.0 mm 1/1000 400

(nevermind about that cache, the train is chugging by!)
    BrianC a.k.a. cougarox
    Constructive criticism welcome

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

Current gear: Sony a6000, SEL55210, Fotodiox MD-NEX adapter; Garmin GPSMap 64S
    Old glass in use:
    Minolta MD 28/2.8, Rokkor-X 35-70/3.5, Rokkor-X 50/1.4, Rokkor-X 135/2.8, MD 100-200/5.6
    Vivitar 17/3.5, Series 1 90/2.5 macro

That's what I call a rapid start. A lot of sophisticated pictures. Great start, Jay!

I forgot to post this when I made my previous post. This vehicle isn't going anywhere:

Name:  tire_flat.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  341.3 KB
    Everyday Camera: Sony A7; 55mm f/1.8
    “I am not interested in shooting new things – I am interested to see things new.” -Ernst Haas

Shot a few hrs ago with the Sony A7R MII and Sony 28mm f/2 prime. HDR tone mapping.

Last edited by Lucille; Sep 10 2015 at 09:26 AM.

Sony A7R MII & Sony 28mm f/2

A few from me and the A7 FE35 f/2.8 combo....

Fat Wheels by Andrew West, on Flickr

Chevy Pickup by Andrew West, on Flickr

Chevy Pickup Dash by Andrew West, on Flickr

Low Rider by Andrew West, on Flickr

Low Rider by Andrew West, on Flickr
    Andy
    All the gear and no idea!

Sony A7
    Sony FE 28-70 / Sony 35mm FE f2.8
    Samyang 35mm f1.4

My Flickr
    My Website> Bigfellaphotos

Really cool shots everyone! Motivating me to try to get a few shots that would fit here. Really don't have anything recent for this challenge.

Brian, really like the Durango-Silverton engine and your series on flickr. Brings back memories from my visit there. Very pretty country and excellent captures.

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by wilmeland View Post
    Brian, really like the Durango-Silverton engine and your series on flickr. Brings back memories from my visit there. Very pretty country and excellent captures.
    Thank you, Willie! Happy to bring memories back to you I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with for this challenge.

Great car shots so far, guys! That mini haul truck is pretty cool, Jay. Looks odd in what I presume is a residential setting.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    Here is one of the Durango and Silverton narrow-gauge engine I shot in Silverton, CO this past weekend:
    Brian, I like your train image. Very rustic atmosphere. Also preferred the "demos" from Jay, Phantom from Obelix, wheel details by Flavio and battled car from Sean.

The order of preference for me is exactly as the title of this thread says. Planes and trains being a bit more out of my reach, I don't think I'll have much to contribute this month... but I'll try.

In the meantime guys/gal, keep shooting and I'll keep watching!

Regards.
    Last edited by leuius; Sep 11 2015 at 03:50 PM.

Unbelievable frames Lucille! WOW

Excellent frame Sean and I really like the not so normal point of view you created....

Andy, Very nice series, with killer color and compositions!

Awesome Steam Train capture Brian!

I really like the detail and comp Flavio

Jay

Jay

Inspired by Lucille and Lu's amazing celestial work in particular, I tried my hand for the first time ever with Stars.... and my car I ended up not knowing what settings to use, so I went with ISO 400 f/4 @ 30seconds. ISO 800 worked better and 30 seconds was a bit to long I learned. I only had my car lights on for about 5 seconds or so. Next time I think I will do much better I feel, but I'm pretty happy with the results considering it's a first for me.

New Sony A7r II and my Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L Lens via the Metabones III lens adapter

Thanks for looking!

Car Stars - Sony A7r II by Jason, on Flickr

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    ... I'm pretty happy with the results considering it's a first for me.
    That is a very good picture Jay and a creative concept for "cars". Lucky you with clear and unpolluted (light) skies.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by leuius View Post
    That is a very good picture Jay and a creative concept for "cars". Lucky you with clear and unpolluted (light) skies.

Regards
    Thank you very much!

Very nice Jay, if anything I would have lit the car some with a flashlight. Those long exposures are tons of fun.

Shot a few nights ago.

At Fastino's as the sun is setting.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast