Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SAL Photography Challenge #9 - Water

Cool SAL Photography Challenge #9 - Water

Closing out the summer with August I figure it will be a great month to see what we can all do with the theme "water" for this challenge.

Goals of this challenge:

• The goal of of this challenge in particular, is to apply the skills learned in previous challenges to capture water in new and creative ways. The standard shots will also work, don't get me wrong, but we have explored many photography elements which should help bring new dynamics to this challenge I'm thinking.
    • New Photography please, but sharing a older photo to illustrate a concept for learning or teaching purposes is totally cool of course
    • Expand your creativity and photography knowledge base
    • Continue practicing using manual mode or other camera modes to get the most out of your creative photography potential.
    • Have some fun and learn a thing or two in the process

Some ideas:

Sprinkler fun
    Pool party fun
    oceans, lakes, rives, waterfalls, ponds, fountains, and puddles
    A glass of water posing with some dew drops and a slice of lime perhaps?
    Macro water drops? Sounds like fun!
    Water balloon fun. Oh yeah!
    Water skiing
    reflections are often a bonus when working with calm water and can really enhance a photo of something else.

Sample Photos

A few "Water" themed Sample Photos I took years ago.... Will definitely get new shots as well, don't worry!

Learning to use macro lenses years ago I managed to get this frame in the grass out front of my parents house in the early morning dew. 100mm with extension tubes and macro flash unit was used.

Ithaca Falls fisherman..

Bushkill Falls Pennsylvania - Waterfall park worth visiting for sure!

Some random waterfall on a farm we visited a few years ago with Layla

Harriman State Park Reflections

Basha Kill Wildlife Preserver Reflections

I'm looking forward to getting wet for this challenge guys!

Thanks again to all of you for continuing to participate and grow the collective abilities of this amazing community we have here!
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Hardcore Member
    The advantage of being retired means when Jay gives an order, I can respond almost immediately. I drove out to Griggs Dam as I recently learned of its existence and it seemed like a pretty cool place. I also found out there are rowing clubs on the river. I will have to go out and try better photos later. As I understand it if you are first to post on a challenge you get 200 SAL bonus points.

1) shot in manual but to me it is so so.

Name:  griggs1alpha.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  322.4 KB

2) I think I used scenic intelligent mode as it was the mode I was in and took this as an after thought.
    Name:  griggsboats alpha).jpg
Views: 785
Size:  262.2 KB

3) These rowers were on their way in to dock and I was in manual and I flipped to scenic intelligent as there just was not time to play with manual (I am not that quick). I missed the rowing part and had to hurry to find a place to shoot where someone was not obstructing the view. So this is not a great shot as the focus is off and I could have used a longer lens.

Name:  roweralpha.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  201.5 KB
    Last edited by MWright222; Aug 4 2015 at 10:46 PM.
    Gear: Sony A6000, Canon T5i, Zeiss 16mm-70mm, various Canon lenses, PS Elements, various Topaz plug ins.

Mike

Impressive, Mike. It is great how you have really delved in and improved in the last while. Methinks you grokked water last month?

I like your challenge choice, Jay. Not an easy one in these parts. Might have to head for the hills. Oh no!
    Last edited by BrianC; Aug 5 2015 at 02:57 AM.

I really like the water flowing over on that slipway for the lack of the word that it really is.
    This is one I can get involved with also.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

Excellent work Mike and I can't wait to retire my friend Doing this stuff full time would be a blast and I could do such a better job I bet! So, Jase is almost 1, I figure I have about 18 years more of work at least? lol

The spillway is awesome and I also really like the team captures in particular. The scene mode really did an awesome job and is the way to go sometimes for sure. Very well done. Even with the focus slightly off the last frame is still a great capture in all other technicals!

Thanks again for sharing and being the first,

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Jay, I have to admit every time you display something out of your archives I am impressed. Really gorgeous introduction set. In particular, I looked at the macro shot for awhile asking myself if/how I could get something like this. Wow is the word for such simple composition and colors but so effective. Good variety and great inspiration all around.

Mike, I like all your shots. Yes, focus is off on the third one but the idea is there; the composition is good and the lighting (for all three) is subdued and works for me.

Water, water... well for sure astro-photography is out for this month hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by leuius View Post
    Jay, I have to admit every time you display something out of your archives I am impressed. Really gorgeous introduction set. In particular, I looked at the macro shot for awhile asking myself if/how I could get something like this. Wow is the word for such simple composition and colors but so effective. Good variety and great inspiration all around.

Mike, I like all your shots. Yes, focus is off on the third one but the idea is there; the composition is good and the lighting (for all three) is subdued and works for me.

Water, water... well for sure astro-photography is out for this month hmmm...
    I really appreciate that Stef and I only wish I had more time to produce quality like that more often Perhaps at some point you could swing south and I could swing north to meet up! Vermont and new Hampshire are killer in the fall foliage months and I have a very good friend that knows countless secret spots in that whole area... That would really be fun! I also want to swing west to meet up with those Ohio/ Milwaukee Friends

Here is the rig I was using for that macro shot and I found without the flash it is not possible to get shots like this hand held. Camera shake at this magnification is exponentially a problem. The lens did have IS which helped a lot and I focus stacked also.

My Canon 5d mark II and the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS II Macro Lens w/ 3 Kenko extension tubes and Sigma Macro Flash Unit. I started reviewing exclusively Sony shorty after this macro madness review I was doing at the time...

And one more from the same shoot:

Jay

I went down to the Basha Kill Wildlife Preserve on the 1st of August and grabbed this quick Auto HDR with my Sony A7r and the New Sony Distagon T* FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA Lens. If I had more time I would have done the full HDR proper, but this is really good for the camera itself in my opinion. Why bother doing the work almost?....

Basha Kill Wildlife Preserve by Jason, on Flickr

Thanks for looking,
    Jay

I'd like to second what Stef said about your intro set, Jay. Beautiful work! I especially like that first macro shot with the flower in the raindrop. Wow!

Hardcore Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    I'd like to second what Stef said about your intro set, Jay. Beautiful work! I especially like that first macro shot with the flower in the raindrop. Wow!
    I will add "thirdsy" to that too. All of Jay's photos are unique and done to perfection. I can't pick a favorite from the group. Thanks Jay, Brian, and Stef for your comments. I will be going back again to do better with the rowers when I can take my time and have the right len(s).

(I am hoping Jay will do some water balloon shots with Layla.....how is that for a challenge! I think that would be a winner myself)
    Gear: Sony A6000, Canon T5i, Zeiss 16mm-70mm, various Canon lenses, PS Elements, various Topaz plug ins.

Mike

Name:  DSC00527-640x457.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  108.5 KBName:  _DSC8592.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  229.8 KBName:  DSC00619.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  443.1 KB
    A few with my A6000. The tanker on the Mackinac Bridge during sunset, the geese in the pond, and Tahquamenon Falls in Michigan. Jim

Water is a cool topic. I'll keep it in mind as I find time to shoot this month.

Jim, I shot the Tahquamenon Falls once when I was shooting my Nikon D70. I only knew how to shoot in Auto mode back then. I remember wanting smooth water on the falls and I asked someone with a big camera how to do it. The guy told me I needed a slower shutter speed. Back then, those words could have just as easily been spoken in Chinese because I had no idea what it meant or how to change it. I also didn't have a tripod, so I would have failed anyway, but that's beside the point. Nicely done, though. I really like your bridge shot.

Jay, you start these topics off wonderfully with a nice range and awesome photos.

Mike, I wish I had your time and flexibility to respond so quickly. Nicely done! That first shot has more of the smooth water I was noting in my first paragraph.
    Everyday Camera: Sony A7; 55mm f/1.8
    “I am not interested in shooting new things – I am interested to see things new.” -Ernst Haas

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I really appreciate that Stef and I only wish I had more time to produce quality like that more often Perhaps at some point you could swing south and I could swing north to meet up! Vermont and new Hampshire are killer in the fall foliage months and I have a very good friend that knows countless secret spots in that whole area... That would really be fun! I also want to swing west to meet up with those Ohio/ Milwaukee Friends
    That sounds like a good idea; the Adirondacks and New England in general are a great location in the fall. It's been a long time since I have been in that area even if it's not that far away. Hopefully we can align our schedules with good weather.

Here is the rig I was using for that macro shot and I found without the flash it is not possible to get shots like this hand held. Camera shake at this magnification is exponentially a problem. The lens did have IS which helped a lot and I focus stacked also.

My Canon 5d mark II and the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS II Macro Lens w/ 3 Kenko extension tubes and Sigma Macro Flash Unit. I started reviewing exclusively Sony shorty after this macro madness review I was doing at the time...
    Woo, this setup is out of my league. I can relate to the hand holding issue but I have never tried focus stacking. Something to add to my bucket list...

Question: Why put extension tubes on a macro lens? Extra magnification?

Stef

I went down to the Basha Kill Wildlife Preserve on the 1st of August and grabbed this quick Auto HDR with my Sony A7r and the New Sony Distagon T* FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA Lens. If I had more time I would have done the full HDR proper, but this is really good for the camera itself in my opinion. Why bother doing the work almost?....
    It's a nice and peaceful image. Very natural looking HDR too, like the eyes would perceive it.

Jim, I like your three images.

In particular, I love the way you caught the sun vs the truck vs the light post on the bridge and the reflection underneath. Perfect timing, composition and exposure.

Here are a couple from me. I think I have got more for this one.
    So I will have a look and post up as I find the good ones.

Name:  DSC02584 - Copy.JPG
Views: 654
Size:  245.1 KB
    Effort one.
    Name:  DSC02626 - Copy.JPG
Views: 657
Size:  237.2 KB
    Second effort.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200

Plus some Filters

Thanks for all the kind comments

Quote Originally Posted by MWright222 View Post

(I am hoping Jay will do some water balloon shots with Layla.....how is that for a challenge! I think that would be a winner myself)
    I'll try my best

Jay

Jim, Great series and I agree about the sun and truck photo! That is a calendar/ poster photo for truckers, I'm telling ya Awesome! Second shot is also brilliant layering with the perfect story to tell. Momma looking over her young in the lush ponds.... Third frame is also excellent and I really like the flowing composition.

Thanks for sharing and really powerful series,

Jay

Awesome freeze frames Gramps, and please remember the challenge is asking for new photos. Unless you are teaching something of course.....

Thanks for sharing,
    Jay

Sorry Jay it was a lack of reading on my behalf.
    You can delete them as I will try to redo them real soon.
    Just got a couple of jobs to do and then I should be free to head out and try again.

Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200

Plus some Filters

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    Sorry Jay it was a lack of reading on my behalf.
    You can delete them as I will try to redo them real soon.
    Just got a couple of jobs to do and then I should be free to head out and try again.
    No worries at all bud

Jay

I got a chance yesterday evening to attend a city special event, essentially a water show with projected lights/lasers, music and pyrotechnics.

All following images taken hand-held, using an A6000 and Sony/Zeiss 16-70mm/4.0 lens, fully open in manual mode. I upped the ISO to 3200 and alternated speeds between 1/30 and 1/10 and fired away. Thank God for OSS providing a stable platform. My first time successfully capturing fireworks also with this camera...

All images as-seen in camera.

Insula 2015 by Stef, on Flickr

Cheers!
    Last edited by leuius; Aug 7 2015 at 12:59 PM. Reason: touch ups
    Stef (leuius is latin for more light)
    Using:
    Sony A6000 + A6500
    (Native E-mount)
    * Sony: 16-50mm | 16-70mm/4.0 | 55mm/1.8 | 55-210mm * Samyang: 12mm/2.0 * Trioplan 50/2.9
    (Adapted to E-mount from SR | C/Y | AD2 | M42 lenses)
    * Minolta: 24mm/2.8 | 45mm/2.0 | 50mm/1.4/1.7/2.0 | 85mm/2.0 | 135mm/2.8/3.5 | 35-105mm
    * Tamron: 28mm/2.5 | SP 90mm/2.8 macro | SP 35-80mm * Tokina: RMC 500mm/8.0 | ATX 100-300mm/4.0
    * Pentax: 50mm/1.4 * Vivitar Series 1: 70-210mm * Soligor: 85-205mm/3.8

okay, so... this isn't a new photo, but I guess more or less introduction to a fun thing to do with macro lens, a flashgun, a piece of glass (well, tables with glass top would work too), and a bottle of Rain-X

a77+Minolta 100mm F2.8 Macro

fun with a macro lens and a bottle of Rain-X
    by Ken, on Flickr

here's the video where I learned it from

Hardcore Member
    Fascinating photos Stef. I think I like the middle one best maybe because it is more defined and has a more uniform color. Also you can see the water so you can tell it is a water event. (I like xmas trees with single lights rather than multiple if that means anything...??)

Thanks Ken for the tutorial link and the photo. It is really unusual and and nicely exposed.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by trainerKEN View Post
    okay, so... this isn't a new photo, but I guess more or less introduction to a fun thing to do with macro lens, a flashgun, a piece of glass (well, tables with glass top would work too), and a bottle of Rain-X

a77+Minolta 100mm F2.8 Macro

fun with a macro lens and a bottle of Rain-X
    by Ken, on Flickr

here's the video where I learned it from
    Thanks for sharing Ken!! Awesome and I want to try for sure!

Jay

Really nice job Stef with the night water shots Impressive color!

Jay

Cool Stef. I would have really enjoyed shooting that night festival.
    Water droplets are great Ken. I need to get a macro lens soon.

I took the theme to heart this weekend as I got the family to head out to Lake Michigan for some hiking and water fun.

Name:  19764411243_3c860d0741_b.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  424.1 KB

FE 28 wide open at f/2 (and 1/8000 shutter because of the sun).

Original on Flickr
    “I am not interested in shooting new things – I am interested to see things new.” -Ernst Haas

Jim, that's a great set. I like all of them, but the duck shot was the best to my eye. I love those ripples and reflections.
    Gramps, cool burst frames.
    Stef, really good job capturing the event, especially handheld. I lean toward the 2nd, great color and definition.
    Way cool Rain-X application, Ken. Thanks for sharing it.
    Great angle, Sean! Very creative; small furry creature perspective with great sea ahead of grass forest.

Does virga count for water? I could stuff the skyscapes thread with it, if not necessarily post it here as water per se.

TraineKen that how to do you you found was so good.
    I thank you for giving me the chance to have a go at this.

Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200

Plus some Filters

Also from yesterday, my wife enjoying some solitude along the Lake Michigan coast.

Name:  20403791352_f99352ff70_b.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  207.3 KB

Original on Flickr

I shot this at f/2 (ISO 100 and 1/8000 shutter speed). That was terrible thinking. I had just shot the previous image (posted above) and stood up and never changed my settings. Doh.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast