Thread: Facebook Group

Facebook Group

Well today I got blocked by one of the people on this local photography group just for our area.
    The person who done it actually lives close on to a day away or if you had to think about the traveling time it would be about 18 hours driving.

Well he does good photo's so don't get me wrong on that point, but I have seen just as good out of my shots and more than one here to.
    So he is not showing anything that none of us could do. But he does sell his photo's which he sends the file and you pay him the $500 for it.
    Sorry for me this is well over priced but this isn't the issue either and if he can get away with that then good on him.

At first he was really civil but then I said this to one of his shots and I will stick by them to.
    I said if you waited a couple of minutes you could have got the palm trees in a full silhouette.
    To which I got a reply about he does not take CC from anyone and that I should not be doing this on his page.
    But the shot was on the groups page, but again not important.

I will not go into what he said but if it was face to face I am sure he would have had a blood nose.
    So I just told him I don't get talked to like that and I understand about his point and I would never make another comment on them again.
    He came back with its his page and threw a few more insults in.
    So while this was going on I unliked every thing I liked and told him this is why he got the boot from the other page.

He thinks its okay for him to give out CC but its not okay for him to get it back and I told him that then said this is the last of him with me.
    I thought of him as a very rude person and someone who can give it out but can't take it.
    I am not sure why he has gone this way as I thought of him a nice bloke but now not a chance.

Just wanted to share this, not sure why but I have done it now, so could some give me your thoughts on this.
    I don't mind if you say I am wrong as this is what I would like to know.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

In a Facebook group I participated a while back, I noticed that many of my messages got deleted once the business hour starts, while other non-useful messages stay.
    It was a Facebook group managed from a business company which we were affiliated with. My posts were generally tend to straight to the points/issues... while others were usually praising the company's new product blindly.
    I was really pissed off initially, but later learned that some businesses take Facebook very serious. And it is important for them to maintain some sort of "positive" appearance, especially on today's social media.

Since my partner and I run a small business, I know the impact of negative remarks. Unfortunately (from business owner's view) all negative remarks spread ridiculously fast.

If you feel there's a need to get back to him, there are many ways online. However, I would suggest you forget about this guy. I know this can be (very) difficult... speaking from experience.
    Amateur and unskilled photographer with a very small collection of gears.

I agree with Antony, people get touchy when they try to run business on internet.
    While back I had a run in with Panasonic sponsored photographers on YouTube. All their comments and reviews ended up praising Lumix products, and they tried to hide fact that they work for Panasonic. They went so far to close their YouTube videos for comments.

The internet is a place filled with many types of people. Sometimes its harder to say "Hrm, you're right, thank you, I'll keep that in mind next time." Or, "I was on a very tight time schedule but I wish I could have." Even ignoring the comment is fine by me. In businesses, managers are trained to deal with harsh criticism and angry customers. Just because you have a business run from Facebook doesn't mean you have good managerial skills. If anything the internet lets those who lack social skills receive more business.
    (Insert list of camera gear that lets others know how much money you have here.)

To you all that have answered here I thank you so much.
    He is trying to run his operation through facebook and he mentioned this a couple of time.
    I just couldn't get over the rudeness he put on display.

You all have hit the nail on the head and thanks for your pointers here.
    I will chalk this one up to, don't back someone until you get to know them a little more.
    Funny how people are your best friend until you don't agree with what they have just said or posted.
    Oh well I have moved on and I will not block him because I finished school many years ago.

Once again thats for clearing this up for me.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200

Plus some Filters

Well said Antony . When the page itself is his Bread & Butter you can't really predict how one would react . From a friend or a member perspective there is nothing wrong in what Badhands did, but from a business perspective you cant really predict how someone would react when it comes to losing a single dollar . Just take it off your head and enjoy the world around. As simple as that.
    I am really happy to see that you are getting a great relief by posting issues here which are irritating your mind and we all could influence a bit to keep your mind calm. I am loving this fellowship .

Cheers
    Cinjith

One little part that I never knew was the photo he posted was on this local photo group that I am in and he is now in to.
    So, I think that this is where I didn't understand the reply.
    But he is now last weeks news and I have better friends here, and this is far more important as you get real responses.
    This is my home and if this person is to stay in the group I will talk with the lady who is incharge there about this issue.
    And I am not saying either its or me. I will just point out the facts which I knew which were only locals, but now it seems to be out the window.
    I don't want to see comments that don't make much sense as he has blocked me.
    So I will not get the full story of a few.
    But yes, he is not worth worrying about.

Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200

Plus some Filters

Quote Originally Posted by Badhands View Post
    One little part that I never knew was the photo he posted was on this local photo group that I am in and he is now in to.
    As long as he is not the moderator/owner of the "local photo group" you don't need to worry too much.
    Just ignore him. If I were you, I would ignore every thread/topic he started, and pay zero (or little) attention to his posts in the threads/topics you participate. (I've been doing similar.)

Hardcore Member
    Facebook is a funny place....mostly a place where people would never talk to each other in such a rude, disrespectful manner. Anonymity, and being miles away from others gives them a false sense of empowerment over everyone(guess the children call it bullying).

I had an individual go as far as threaten to 'put you in a hole'.....not a very bright bulb in the pack, he lives about 4miles down the road and I know his father. Come to think of it, I haven't seen the 'fella' online for quiet some time? Guess that phone call was enough. Had others call me all manners of names for nothing more then voicing an opinion(my skin is pretty thick) on a subject that asked for 'opinions'....go figure?

I fully believe an armed society is a polite society...in other words, if you wouldn't say something to someone's face, then you probably shouldn't type it for the world to see.

Scott (good luck) B

Thanks again Antony, on your point there is no way I can see what he posts up as he has got me blocked so I just don't see them.
    I think I said I don't block people because I have stopped going to school a long while ago and this is how I look at blocking.
    Though if I could I would just not even look at what he had to post as you have said which is so right.

SDB777 I also thank you for what you have said and I know what you have put down to be so right.
    Everyone is a hero on their own keyboard because of what you have said.

I know when I joined a group all about our football game we play here and it was being run by a person who knew a real lot about computers and the way they run.
    In the beginning he was pleasant but as time went along I notice a change and he was becoming a dictator.
    But not to me but to a couple of young lads (around 14 to 15 years old).

He went as far to say he would hunt them down and do harm to them.
    Along with that he knew someone who was supposes to be a bikie and said he would set him on to them.
    Well I closed up my membership there after that, as I don't see why someone of 50 years old would threaten these young lads like that.
    I told him so and then shut my account down.

So you are so right. I understand that there will always be these people who think they are the important one and you just don't matter.
    I know Facebook brings out this is quite a lot of people.
    But I have seen both the good and bad sides of it. I know no one can see too much on my page.
    The wife and daughter set it up this way, I can even go as far as forums of all types are quite the same.
    I think my lucky stars to come and find a place like this.
    Which is the very best to another forum dealing with the same topics being just like facebook.

Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200

Plus some Filters

Hardcore Member
    I know I am a bit late to this discussion but will offer my 2 cents opinion. I don't want to get too psychoanalitical, but no matter what the profession is or with regard to people in general, some have a self esteem problem and cannot take constructive criticism very well. For some, constructive criticism is taken as a personal attack and to resolve the criticism, the easy way out is to diminish the one offering the suggestion for improvement.

Constructive criticism is always a bit touchy for the one receiving it AND the one giving it. I suppose the basic question is.... does one truly wish to improve or are they seeking adulation? Are two eyes better than one??

Mike

Mike I see what you are saying and I will admit to not taking CC well in the beginning.
    I started to learn that what people were saying was them letting me know the ways to improve my photography overall.
    This fella is one who can dish it out because he has a sense for grandeur if that is the right word for it.
    But never think he will take the same back if it was back to his shots.
    no matter where they are.

I have been known to ask a friend if this or that shot works and what did he think.
    So I do believe that a second set of eyes on what you are about to post is good.
    But this to can lead to slight trouble as we all look for different things.

I think this over all is telling me just forget about this fella and move on, and I am doing that.
    One reason is that I am blocked and can't see anything anyway.
    But even if I could see what he was posting I would not give him the time of day.

So thanks for your thinking on this matter.
    Last edited by Gramps; Jun 12 2015 at 09:10 AM.

Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200

Plus some Filters

Scrollin Scrollin Scrollin,, keep that mouse wheel Rollin, while your busy Trollin FACEBOOK!
    Don't try and understand them, just read and like and friend them.
    soon you'll get a reply that makes you Smile-ile-ile-ile.
    Scrollin Scrollin Scrollin,, weird stories keep a Floatin, most arn't worth a Noten FACEBOOK!
    If it makes you feel Better, post some angry Letters, Soon you'll get replies from far and Wide-ide-ide-de.
    My Brains a Calculatin, how much time i been a Wastin that i could be using in my Li-i-i-ife.
    Move 'em on, head 'em up
    Head 'em up, move 'em on
    Move 'em on, head 'em up
    FACEBOOK!
    Cut 'em out, ride 'em in
    Ride 'em in, let 'em out
    Cut 'em out, ride - 'em - in
    FACE-BOOOOOK!
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

Well done OlkNoob good way to get that out.
    Very effective and funny.
    Now I would never had come up with something as creative as that.
    Might have to copy it so I can use it if there is a time I need it.

Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200

Plus some Filters

Hardcore Member
    Check out my post in the music section (Rawhide). That way you can sing the words with the music...
    Gear: Sony A6000, Canon T5i, Zeiss 16mm-70mm, various Canon lenses, PS Elements, various Topaz plug ins.

Mike

Yep had a look at it and bought back some memories.
    Good find also.

Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200

Plus some Filters

Quote Originally Posted by OldNoob View Post
    Scrollin Scrollin Scrollin,, keep that mouse wheel Rollin, while your busy Trollin FACEBOOK!
    Don't try and understand them, just read and like and friend them.
    soon you'll get a reply that makes you Smile-ile-ile-ile.
    Scrollin Scrollin Scrollin,, weird stories keep a Floatin, most arn't worth a Noten FACEBOOK!
    If it makes you feel Better, post some angry Letters, Soon you'll get replies from far and Wide-ide-ide-de.
    My Brains a Calculatin, how much time i been a Wastin that i could be using in my Li-i-i-ife.
    Move 'em on, head 'em up
    Head 'em up, move 'em on
    Move 'em on, head 'em up
    FACEBOOK!
    Cut 'em out, ride 'em in
    Ride 'em in, let 'em out
    Cut 'em out, ride - 'em - in
    FACE-BOOOOOK!
    ROFL

If I were a hater/fanboy, I'd be sorely tempted to spread this little ditty far and wide. Might still. I must admit that I do find FB egregious for innumerable reasons, and having participated there for some years, proceeded to kill my account. Google+ is far more civilised and educated, but still not ideal by any stretch. Can't say I'd have any respect, or desire to buy from, anyone who based their business (solely) in/on FB. Ew.
    BrianC a.k.a. cougarox
    Constructive criticism welcome

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

Current gear: Sony a6000, SEL55210, Fotodiox MD-NEX adapter; Garmin GPSMap 64S
    Old glass in use:
    Minolta MD 28/2.8, Rokkor-X 35-70/3.5, Rokkor-X 50/1.4, Rokkor-X 135/2.8, MD 100-200/5.6
    Vivitar 17/3.5, Series 1 90/2.5 macro

Quote Originally Posted by Badhands View Post
    Thanks again Antony, on your point there is no way I can see what he posts up as he has got me blocked so I just don't see them.
    Thanks for this. I thought you could still see his involvement in the same Facebook Group, but not on your wall.

Social media is an interesting form of human evolution. It allows for incredible instant communication world wide currently and that is amazing! It creates a connection with others that allows for exponential growth and sharing of information as well.

Like all technology, the Internet can be used for good and bad. Therefore, you can make up names and harass people or whatever. Get points for taking a popular stance on a social argument of the day etc.. It's really incredible how sad some people are in this world, and they will try to bring down everybody around them. Or make themselves appear better than others for having a specific opinion?

I stay away from the social media these days, other than promoting the website of course. I share everything personal here now and I don't have to worry about being attacked etc.. The environment is much more focused...

Future:
    Once privacy goes away, which is clearly coming very fast, none of this will matter because every bodies dirty laundry will be exposed. This will force a conscious revolution world wide towards good (the awakening), and the powers that be will do all they can to grasp onto the straws of power they have left. You can see this happening all over with cops having to where cameras, politicians using personal email servers so their gov email can't get hacked. It's just the beginning...

Sorry for your aggravation Badhands and this type of thing can really overwhelm your day if you let it get to you. It's happened to me many times, especially when I first starting really using the Internet and forums many years ago. It's easier said than done, but just ignore these people and or/ just reply with kindness and that usually nips it in the bud from my experience

Best,
    Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens