Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SAL Photography Challenge #7 - Lines and Curves

Quote Originally Posted by seanlancaster View Post
    Well, I find some lines on an old bike in a nearby building using my Rokinon 135/2. I also just read that Flickr has reduced the quality in images that are not full resolution (full resolution isn't compressed but other sizes are). Hmph!
    Very nice lines -- and curves -- on that bike, Sean. Definitely recognizable as one of your shots, even without your mark.

As for Flickr reducing the quality of non-full resolution images, I can't say that bothers me -- the trade-off appears to be the provision of a Terabyte (!) of storage, and my "web sharing" resolution pics are all going onto my 37GB and counting allocation on Google/Picasa, which doesn't count non-full resolution shots against your quota. The Flickr 'uploadr' is admittedly taking a Very Long Time to process my ~17K shots, and I still have reservations about the 'cloud'... .
    Last edited by BrianC; Jun 9 2015 at 08:53 PM. Reason: bb code
    BrianC a.k.a. cougarox
    Constructive criticism welcome

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

Current gear: Sony a6000, SEL55210, Fotodiox MD-NEX adapter; Garmin GPSMap 64S
    Old glass in use:
    Minolta MD 28/2.8, Rokkor-X 35-70/3.5, Rokkor-X 50/1.4, Rokkor-X 135/2.8, MD 100-200/5.6
    Vivitar 17/3.5, Series 1 90/2.5 macro

Stef, I am surprised you got the lines of rain falling at a relatively fast shutter speed. I was guessing I'd see 1/10 and you used 1/160 and still got the blur. Cool. Love the second shot.

MWright222, I stared at your 2 images trying to figure out what I was seeing before reading your description. I couldn't solve it. After seeing "lamp" I could spot it so easily. Context matters. Heh. Nicely captured.
    Everyday Camera: Sony A7; 55mm f/1.8
    “I am not interested in shooting new things – I am interested to see things new.” -Ernst Haas

Quote Originally Posted by leuius View Post
    Tonight's inspiration arrived as I was looking out the window in inclement weather... and there they were... lines and curves!!
    (snip)

Splash by Stef, on Flickr
    Excellent shot here, Stef! Lorie and i have been scrolling up and down through the submissions so far, and to our taste this is the best of the lot. So much going on, you can almost get lost, not to mention hearing the rain. I really like the second, as well.

I wonder if I can keep up with what appears to be a torrid pace of posting for this challenge. Anyway...

Really like that first shot of the pier, OldNoob. Very atmospheric, and great lines.

Cool urban grittiness on your architecture and street shots, with a hot bam! of color and shadow in the last one, Ken.

Nice contrast between the natural curves and constructed lines, golem.

Cool plant shot, Willie. Close to the ground, were you? Kinda' like the bokeh reversal of the other version you have on Flickr better, but both are neat shots, very curvy

Agreed with Stef on your lamp shots, Mike. Love the point of view. It made me wonder if Tiffany did much vertical work, like Frank Lloyd Wright with his windows...

Sangre de Cristo Mountains, Crestone, CO USA
    Very interesting Challenge. Many submissions show people really stepping up their game or seeing things in fresh ways.

The Lines of the Stupas and the Curves of the small Fish Pond:

Name:  Stupa Lines & Fish Pond Curves-.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  291.7 KB

Very interesting topic and great pictures submitted. So many examples of Lines & curves which I would have never thought of. Here is one from my side .

Name:  Avvy.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  128.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by seanlancaster View Post
    Stef, I am surprised you got the lines of rain falling at a relatively fast shutter speed. I was guessing I'd see 1/10 and you used 1/160 and still got the blur. Cool. Love the second shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    Excellent shot here, Stef! Lorie and i have been scrolling up and down through the submissions so far, and to our taste this is the best of the lot. So much going on, you can almost get lost, not to mention hearing the rain. I really like the second, as well.
    Thanks guys (and girl!)

Sean, I covered the speed spectrum from 1/8 to 1/800 before settling on 1/160. With too slow a shutter, the lines are continuous between the top and bottom of the image and also much thinner, like a veil. At high speed, you get individual drops with very short segments. It was really coming down when I shot the first picture; the rain was much reduced for the second. I have several varied perspective "second" shots, it was difficult picking a "best of". You have to be at 1/250 or faster to get a reasonable water rippling effect.

Hermit, good line/curve combo on the stupas.

Cinjith, I love the bicycle frame image, with bokeh'd car (wheel) and lighted background. Very effective!!

Regards,

Stef

Here is another shot:

The Pathway to the Kitchen
    Name:  Kitchen Path-.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  343.2 KB

Really like the Rain shots leuius
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

Please forgive me for placing Photo submissions each in a separate post. The site is not accepting most of my upload attempts so I have been forced to try to hack the system in order to make the uploading work.

Here is the main Stupa framed by an arch:

Name:  Framed Stupa-.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  380.0 KB

And yet another pathway:
    Name:  Stepping Stones & Temple-.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  318.4 KB

(note that the round stones at the beginning symbolize the first seven steps of the Lord Shakyamuni Buddha after his birth at Lumbini, Nepal)

Amazing work everybody and man did this take off fast!
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Very nice shots everyone. Playing catch up and can't comment on all, but am impressed by all. Really giving me some insight and ideas.
    Ken, really like the composition with the buildings and fish eye adapter.
    Brian, really like the perspective on your shot looking down through the stables.
    Mike, Sean, Like your takes on wheels. (also, the mechanical objects composition with the bike frame/ bokeh car from Cinjith)
    Stef, think your "splash", rain on the railing capture has to be one of my favorites so far.
    Golem, like the delicate lines/curves in your branches.
    Jay, Hermit, like the compositions with curved roads/paths.

Here's a couple of oddball experiments done at a baseball game last night. Baseball stadiums are full of lines and curves. All shot with old manual focus Yashica 50mm f/1.9. For these shots think I had it stopped down to f/8 or 11, focus at infinity. I was way up in the upper box seating, second row back, directly behind home plate.
    Tried using in-camera pano to follow lines and capture action. This one captures a bad pitch inside and a pan down first base line.

badpitchpano05946
    by Will, on Flickr

Grounder to left center. This one tells a story, but due to the time it took to sweep the pano, the outcome is up to the viewer (was sweeping from left to right, so got a kind of cool stop action effect on CJ Cron as he ran down the first base line. I did clone out a few phantom feet and half a runner in the couple yards prior to where the full runner starts to show).

actionpano5947
    by Will, on Flickr

Maybe I colored outside the lines of this challenge a bit :-)

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by wilmeland View Post
    Here's a couple of oddball experiments done at a baseball game last night. Baseball stadiums are full of lines and curves. All shot with old manual focus Yashica 50mm f/1.9. For these shots think I had it stopped down to f/8 or 11, focus at infinity. I was way up in the upper box seating, second row back, directly behind home plate.
    Brilliant!! Hard to decide which one I like best. I love the angle of the first one and the runner in the second image steals the show!

Really cool lines and curves.

Regards,

Stef

Hardcore Member
    Just adding two more from the backyard I took yesterday.

Name:  zbench33.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  288.4 KB

Name:  zgreen leaf33.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  159.9 KB

Nice shots Mike. Particularly like the first composition with the lines from the ballusters, bench/railing, contrasting with the curves from the potted plants.

Willie

Hardcore Member
    Thanks Willie. I must say your photo of the baseball players running to first base was intriguing. Is that what they mean by the bases are loaded or was it a grand slam?

Here are a couple from me. I really have not got involved with these for some strange reason, maybe I need to look in here from time to time.

Name:  DSC01149.JPG
Views: 310
Size:  149.8 KB
    Grape Vine lines
    Name:  DSC01164.JPG
Views: 305
Size:  186.8 KB
    Down the train line
    Name:  DSC02585.JPG
Views: 305
Size:  174.8 KB
    Buoy's across the river.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

Quote Originally Posted by Badhands View Post
    Here are a couple from me.
    I like the perspective of the first two images, with a vanishing point set far on the horizon, but the third picture is the one that "clicked" most in my mind. A curve made of curved objects, on a line (river)... very creative and very good composition.

Regards.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  193.5 KB This is the Mackinac Bridge in Michigan. I was on a ferry going to Mackinac Island when we went under the bridge. Took this with my Sony A6000, kit lens.

I like the perspective of the first two images, with a vanishing point set far on the horizon, but the third picture is the one that "clicked" most in my mind. A curve made of curved objects, on a line (river)... very creative and very good composition.

Regards.
    That would be the same for me to. I had to get down lowish to try to get this like it is here.
    But each ouch was worth it I thought.

Very impressive Bridge Jtimmer really like that.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

Regards.
    I was thinking very similar thoughts great job!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Jtimmer View Post
    This is the Mackinac Bridge in Michigan. I was on a ferry going to Mackinac Island when we went under the bridge. Took this with my Sony A6000, kit lens.
    Very nice picture, with deep blues and lines/curves galore... Very serene too; I like it a lot...

Stef

Light lines

Last time I posted, it was raining. Same thing yesterday. This morning is bright and sunny so I took the macro lens out and went looking for lines and curves at another scale. Got quite a few shots of flowers and whatnot but this is the one I prefer...

After the rain by Stef, on Flickr

Taken with an A6000 and (adapted) Tamron SP 90mm manual macro lens. As I recall, I was at f/16 and close to 1:1 magnification. As seen in the camera.

I have two more ideas for this challenge but nature will have to cooperate... we'll see.

Cheers.
    Last edited by leuius; Jun 13 2015 at 01:10 PM.
    Stef (leuius is latin for more light)
    Using:
    Sony A6000 + A6500
    (Native E-mount)
    * Sony: 16-50mm | 16-70mm/4.0 | 55mm/1.8 | 55-210mm * Samyang: 12mm/2.0 * Trioplan 50/2.9
    (Adapted to E-mount from SR | C/Y | AD2 | M42 lenses)
    * Minolta: 24mm/2.8 | 45mm/2.0 | 50mm/1.4/1.7/2.0 | 85mm/2.0 | 135mm/2.8/3.5 | 35-105mm
    * Tamron: 28mm/2.5 | SP 90mm/2.8 macro | SP 35-80mm * Tokina: RMC 500mm/8.0 | ATX 100-300mm/4.0
    * Pentax: 50mm/1.4 * Vivitar Series 1: 70-210mm * Soligor: 85-205mm/3.8

Radial lines

Another one from my last outing...

Sunny side up by Stef, on Flickr

Cheers.
    Last edited by leuius; Jun 14 2015 at 07:41 AM.

This challenge has some of the best photos ever to date I would say folks! Amazing efforts and work by all involved The lines and curves are popping all over and in places I did not expect to see for sure.

I am super proud to be a part of this community and the depth of creativity is inspirational.

Stef, You are pumping out some of the best photography I've seen in a while my friend! The raindrops are awesome and the last two in particular are wall hangers in my opinion! The way you chose to back light makes the dimension incredible

Willie, Awesome compositions and using the pano crop worked out great with the lines and action. Well done!

Jtimmer, Awesome stretching frame!

Cinjith, Awesome example, subject, and composition!

Sean, Doesn't get much better than 135mm in your hands my friend Awesome!

Hermit, Very nice paths, lines and curves captured Always enjoy seeing the grounds!

Badhands, I was really hoping you would participate in the challenges at some point, and you really hit it out of the park with those three frames!

Mike, Excellent frames from around the house and great hunting!

Circles - Zeiss Touit 50mm f/2.8 Lens and Nex-6

Circles by Jason, on Flickr

Thanks for looking,
    Jay

@ Badhands - really like your second image. I've come back to it several times. The line of warehouse buildings on the right really draws my focus down the rail line - nice composition.
    @ Jtimmer - great framing of the bridge - like the perspective a lot.
    @ Stef - you really have a way with the macro/close up compositions. Think my favorite is the first with the glistening water drops.
    @ Jay - just saw your bokeh circles, very nice. What were you shooting at?

Here's a couple from this week.
    Outside the stadium 1650 @ 16mm - decided to embrace the converging lines.

trop05904
    by Willie, on Flickr

then, the bird singing its heart out at the beach - caught my attention and noted the lines and curves, so "click" - 50mm Yashica on the a3000.

lines-curvesBW05960b
    by Willie, on Flickr

Willie

@ Jay - just saw your bokeh circles, very nice. What were you shooting at?
    Thanks man I was shooting at f/4 with the focus all the way out for effect... I jacked up the saturation and contrast, because it was a raw file, and then lowered the clarity all the way which gave the slight glow effect, encase you were wondering where that came from...

Awesome contrasting curves and lines in that first frame you just posted!

Jay

Thanks Jay - like the circles a lot - this is fuel for further experimentation this week :-)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast