Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SAL Photography Challenge #7 - Lines and Curves

SAL Photography Challenge #7 - Lines and Curves

In this next photography challenge we will focus on expanding our compositional skills by honing in on lines and curves...

The goal of this photography challenges is to expand your abilities and creativity by taking you out of your normal comfort zone! So, in this case being forced to find lines and curves of some kind to photograph in whatever way you like.

New Photos Only Please...

Some tips about Lines and Curves:

- Lines and curves are everywhere in nature and can help improve your composition
    - Some samples of lines and curves to shoot: roads, train tracks, railings, edges of things, wood grain, water
    - Use a line to help lead the eye thru the image
    - use a line or curve divide the scene into elements such as foreground, middle, and background
    - Use lines or curves to help tell the story in your photo (A path leading to something for a quick example)
    - reward the viewer by offering a visual prize at the end of your line or curve...
    - engage the viewer for a deeper look by offering lines and curves for the eye to fallow
    - Try to start the lines and curves from a corner of the image when possible
    - Use leading lines with perspective to add depth (road or train track type view)
    - Use lines or curves to create layers or a layering effect in your images.

Sample Photos Exploiting Lines and/or Curves in the Composition:

A recent shot from the FE 24-240mm f/3.5-6.3 OSS Lens:

from the previous BW Challenge:

Some older pics...

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Really good challenge choice, Jay. This is definitely an area where I could use some stretching. Great lead-off examples, as usual, too!
    BrianC a.k.a. cougarox
    Constructive criticism welcome

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

Current gear: Sony a6000, SEL55210, Fotodiox MD-NEX adapter; Garmin GPSMap 64S
    Old glass in use:
    Minolta MD 28/2.8, Rokkor-X 35-70/3.5, Rokkor-X 50/1.4, Rokkor-X 135/2.8, MD 100-200/5.6
    Vivitar 17/3.5, Series 1 90/2.5 macro

Think this would qualify. It was an experiment 2 days ago using the 1650 @ 16mm, panning down the beach from the sunset using the in-camera pano. Liked lines/shapes presented by the curves in the clouds and slightly converging lines created by the horizon and waterline on the beach. Initially was going to delete, as there was half of a ghost child dancing due to movement of the kid while panning, but just edited the ghost out, figuring unless it was viewed on a 50 inch screen, would not notice, viewing the entire composition.
    Willie
    Name:  in-camerapano05887.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  88.4 KB

Great images to start the challenge, Jay. Really fantastic! I hope I am able to find some time to participate this month.

wilmeland, that's a great beach scene and sunset. Gorgeous capture.
    Everyday Camera: Sony A7; 55mm f/1.8
    “I am not interested in shooting new things – I am interested to see things new.” -Ernst Haas

Hardcore Member
    While....I got excited about the new challenge so I gave it a shot so to speak. I didn't have anytime to leave the house today to shoot so I gave this a try at home. I have some other ideas but will have to wait a few days before I get out and about.

Name:  rim24.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  234.0 KB

lines

Lines AND curves
    Last edited by OldNoob; Jun 8 2015 at 01:00 AM.
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

Quote Originally Posted by MWright222 View Post
    While....I got excited about the new challenge so I gave it a shot so to speak. I didn't have anytime to leave the house today to shoot so I gave this a try at home.
    Hmmm, very interesting challenge in general and great illustration of the concept in your picture. There are lines and curves everywhere in there!! Great symmetry is a plus. You have the cleanest wheels I have seen in some time...

Good pictures also Willie and OldNoob and very nice examples, Jay. Gives inspiration...

Cheers,

Stef

Excellent frame Willie! Awesome perspective horizon lines and curvature in the cloud formation to top it off.

MW, Killer example and great eye!

Really nice examples OldNoob!

Sean, I'm sure you will see something that will fit the challenge criteria throughout the month... Good luck with everything!

Thanks again everybody for the comments and good times ahead Great start!

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Willie, that beach sunset shot is beautiful, and really fits this challenge.

Nice wheels, Mike! Really good example, too.

I thought I'd post one of my shots from the Keeneland race track we recently visited. Lots of lines

DSC01922 by Brian C, on Flickr

n.b. Four days later, Flickr 'uploadr' is still busy processing. It'll be awhile before I get stuff into my photostream, but there are a few there now...

Cool shot Brian.
    And i really like the Barn scene Jay
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

a6000 + 16mm F2.8

some kind of artsy fartsy bench they had in Downtown Vancouver

Robson Benches
    by Ken, on Flickr

NEX-5N + 16mm F2.8 with fisheye adapter

1075 W. Georgia Street, Downtown Vancouver
    by Ken, on Flickr

NEX-5N/SEL1650 PZ kit lens

(btw, I LOVE LOVE LOVE doing street photography using the "High Contrast B&W" effect mode, they come out perfect out of the camera IMO)

Granville Street, Downtown Vancouver BC
    by Ken, on Flickr

a900/Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG HSM

Bry Jensen
    by Ken, on Flickr

Nice! TrainerKEN!
    Peacock Designs

Hardcore Member
    Summary to date:

Thanks Jay for the great examples. They set the standard (high) and help give us direction.

Willie: Great sunset. The peaceful scene helps one to relax with the nice lines of the beach and ocean against the sunset.

Noob: Love the dock on the water. The solitary fisherman is a nice touch. Makes me say "I wish I was there."

Brian: Great shot of the stable. It made me think of a view of the mirror where you see a repeating view within the mirror.

Trainer Ken: All nice and really different examples of lines and shapes. Hard to pick a favorite...so I won't....they are all super.

Note to Leius: My rims are shiny because it is a new car...lol.

I went out for a quick shot so I could post something! I ended up liking this shot a bit with the rail on the background leading to the car! Shot using the A7II + Voigtlander Nokton Classic 40mm F1.4

DSC04573 by Bob Tsui, on Flickr
    Camera - Sony A7ii ::: Sony NEX-5T
    Lenses E-Mount(FE): Carl Zeiss SEL55F1.8 ::: Sony FE28F20 ::: SEL2870 | (APS-C): SELP1650 ::: Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN ::: Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN

Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    I thought I'd post one of my shots from the Keeneland race track we recently visited. Lots of lines
    Indeed, many lines and great depth with multiples planes. Really great composition. Cool effect.

Stef

Quote Originally Posted by trainerKEN View Post
    a6000 + 16mm F2.8

some kind of artsy fartsy bench they had in Downtown Vancouver
    All great pictures and sources of inspiration. You definitely have an eye for subjects...

Stef

Name:  flyp.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  323.7 KB

Mostly straight with some slight curves.

`

Wow! This has taken off. Lots of interesting shots & real nice use of the theme. As I look around, starting to see the lines / curves in a lot of scenes around me. This one might be a stretch, but outside my front door this morning, kind of squinting due to the sun, saw curves from the flowers and shrubs and lines from the chives & other grasses there. Kind of a mélange a trois or something I guess.

melange02406
    by Will, on Flickr

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by wilmeland View Post
    Wow! This has taken off. Lots of interesting shots & real nice use of the theme. As I look around, starting to see the lines / curves in a lot of scenes around me.
    Nice picture Willie! As with you, I am gradually adapting my "vision" to notice patterns (lines, curves, etc).

As shown in Golem's images, nature tends to be about curves and man-made is typically straighter (easy to construct I guess). As I walked outside yesterday evening, I was looking for a line/curve mix and found this:

Name:  DSC10817.C1-reduced.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  321.8 KB

Nothing special really, just to illustrate. A6000 + SEL1670Z at 23mm.

Stef

Well, I find some lines on an old bike in a nearby building using my Rokinon 135/2. I also just read that Flickr has reduced the quality in images that are not full resolution (full resolution isn't compressed but other sizes are). Hmph!

Name:  18470200119_a6dd17eea6_b.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  94.5 KB

Original available on Flickr
    Everyday Camera: Sony A7; 55mm f/1.8
    “I am not interested in shooting new things – I am interested to see things new.” -Ernst Haas

Where lines intersect

Tonight's inspiration arrived as I was looking out the window in inclement weather... and there they were... lines and curves!!

The balcony railing offered a nice frame of reference, nature did the rest. Taken with an A6000 and SEL1670Z at 70mm from about 1 meter away (I just opened the door but stayed inside to avoid getting the camera wet). Shutter speed setting needed a bit of trial and error to get the effect I wanted.

Splash by Stef, on Flickr

Noise on the line by Stef, on Flickr

Cheers,
    Stef (leuius is latin for more light)
    Using:
    Sony A6000 + A6500
    (Native E-mount)
    * Sony: 16-50mm | 16-70mm/4.0 | 55mm/1.8 | 55-210mm * Samyang: 12mm/2.0 * Trioplan 50/2.9
    (Adapted to E-mount from SR | C/Y | AD2 | M42 lenses)
    * Minolta: 24mm/2.8 | 45mm/2.0 | 50mm/1.4/1.7/2.0 | 85mm/2.0 | 135mm/2.8/3.5 | 35-105mm
    * Tamron: 28mm/2.5 | SP 90mm/2.8 macro | SP 35-80mm * Tokina: RMC 500mm/8.0 | ATX 100-300mm/4.0
    * Pentax: 50mm/1.4 * Vivitar Series 1: 70-210mm * Soligor: 85-205mm/3.8

Quote Originally Posted by seanlancaster View Post
    Well, I find some lines on an old bike in a nearby building using my Rokinon 135/2.
    Great idea and perfect execution. Very very nice...

Stef

Hardcore Member
    In looking around my house for things that fulfill the lines, curves, and shapes challenge I light went off in my head so to speak. The following two photos are of a Tiffany style lamp hanging from my ceiling. I took a few shots looking up. (not as industrial looking as rims on a car ). Mike

Name:  lamp adjust2.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  266.8 KB

Name:  lamp2.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  228.1 KB
    Last edited by MWright222; Jun 9 2015 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MWright222 View Post
    In looking around my house for things that fulfill the lines, curves, and shapes I light went off in my head so to speak. The following two photos are of a Tiffany style lamp hanging from my ceiling. I took a few shots looking up. (not as industrial looking as rims on a car ).
    Great concept and cool point of view.

Stef

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast