Thread: The Last Farmer in Fukushima's Post-Nuclear Wasteland: VICE INTL (Japan)

The Last Farmer in Fukushima's Post-Nuclear Wasteland: VICE INTL (Japan)

This is really hard to watch, but I really think we need to all look at this example of why nuclear power is not the best answer. If when do not have the technology to stop the reaction if/when shit goes down, then why would we use it for a power source? It really makes no sense and this is the after math of what was inevitable in my opinion. I have one of these reactors way to close to where I live and I want that thing shut down ASAP!! Just insane considering the cost of if it goes wrong... Fukashima is a much better example than Chernobyl, because it's still completely out of control and destroying the ocean at alarming rates. Some say global killer, but I don't think it's that bad. Possible ocean killer though, which may turn into a global epidemic.

So it's been several years and Fukashima is still in just as bad of shape if not worse off than it was. Engineers are at a loss and the problem appears impossible to solve So what next?

The Last Farmer in Fukushima's Post-Nuclear Wasteland: VICE INTL (Japan)

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Bloody effin humans, wrecking everything we can get our hands on (suppresses rant)

This video is such an eye opener . Never thought the situations are so worse still. Even am not too far from such a zone. Around 130 kms . A small earthquake or a Tsunami or even a technical glitch could be disastrous . Thanks for sharing the video Jay.

I hear ya guys and have been fallowing this for sometime. I'm constantly shocked at how they are making absolute zero progress and still have no idea how to stop it. The long term damage assessments are not known, because nobody really knows how much radiation is actually leaking into the underwater aquifer and so fourth... How much of the ocean will die off from this is what I'm really wondering? Can this potentially be a ocean killer?

If it was effectively shut down by now, probably not, but that is not the case. It is still raging out of control and meting down as it has been for over 2 years now... I've heard 700 generations of devastation? If that is the case, then how far will it spread? Chernobyl was fairly contained, but this think is flowing directly into the ocean which is a gigantic difference in comparison. And Chernobyl was really bad, but this Fukashima situation makes that look like a brush fire in comparison. Perhaps I'm being a little crazy here, but this is scary stuff that just doesn't seam to be getting the attention it should.

If it did get the attention it deserves, we would have people protesting to shut down all nuclear plants world wide. I don't think the power companies want that, so it's all hush hush in the mainstream media because they own the media effectively. So where does that leave us?

It leaves me wanting Solar/wind power and no nuclear at all period. I wish I lived on a river sometimes so I could make my own water wheel or something for power. That would cool!

Thanks again for the comments guys, and I'm sorry to be a downer as far as this topic goes, but I really thought it was important enough to share here.

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Hardcore Member
    I am not very scientific to say the least, but was wondering if nuclear fusion has made any headway. Fusion was supposed to be the holy grail of energy and supposed to be much safer than nuclear fission (so they say). The stakes for scienctific discovery sometimes scare me when the stakes become quite high. Genetic cloning scares me too. I guess I would not be a very good scientist.

Mike
    Last edited by MWright222; May 12 2015 at 09:44 PM.

Sadly, fusion seems to be one of those things that recedes as you approach, Mike. That said, the guys over at Lawrence Livermore do seem to be making a bit of progress (Scientific American link) Perhaps it can be made viable on a large scale in another 50 years, if we can avoid destroying the planet/making it entirely uninhabitable by us (let alone by any other life other than cockroaches) before then. It is debatable whether we are the prime movers in climate change or not, but it it is incontrovertible that we are the prime movers in the current great extinction event.