Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official Full Frame E-Mount Lens Roadmap for 2015

Question Official Full Frame E-Mount Lens Roadmap for 2015

So this is what Sony is putting out for us full frame e-mount users wondering what is coming next! Some huge short term goals without a whole lot of information as far as I can tell? Large Aperture Prime is all we got int he gray areas for 2015. Note all the updates with the inclusion of the new 28mm f/2 w/ adapters, Zeiss Distagon T* 35mm f/1.4 ZA Lens, 90mm f/2.8 OSS G Lens, and the 24-240mm OSS lens looks like an affordable all in one zoom lens solution. Not a G rating like I was original thinking, sorry for that I was mistaken! My Full E-Mount Lens Guide with all lenses currently available with links to reviews and more >>

Full Frame E-Mount Lens Expansion Plans for 2015??

So what do ya think?? F/1.4 has got to be good news for many and the 90mm macro is f/2.8 G OSS which is awesome and I want one!

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Macro looks promising
    90mm f2.8 OSS sure sounds like modified Tamron 90mm f2.8 VR, will see when they show how many elements and groups.

I'm kinda sad that the macro lens is only FE, it will be more expensive that I need it to be for me but I'm looking forward for it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by josegabrielsanc View Post
    I'm kinda sad that the macro lens is only FE, it will be more expensive that I need it to be for me but I'm looking forward for it as well.
    I'm thinking the same thing... time will tell.

Just in case, is there a E-mount (APS-C) roadmap anywhere?
    Stef (leuius is latin for more light)
    Using:
    Sony A6000 + A6500
    (Native E-mount)
    * Sony: 16-50mm | 16-70mm/4.0 | 55mm/1.8 | 55-210mm * Samyang: 12mm/2.0 * Trioplan 50/2.9
    (Adapted to E-mount from SR | C/Y | AD2 | M42 lenses)
    * Minolta: 24mm/2.8 | 45mm/2.0 | 50mm/1.4/1.7/2.0 | 85mm/2.0 | 135mm/2.8/3.5 | 35-105mm
    * Tamron: 28mm/2.5 | SP 90mm/2.8 macro | SP 35-80mm * Tokina: RMC 500mm/8.0 | ATX 100-300mm/4.0
    * Pentax: 50mm/1.4 * Vivitar Series 1: 70-210mm * Soligor: 85-205mm/3.8

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    So this is what Sony is putting out for us full frame e-mount users wondering what is coming next! Some huge short term goals without a whole lot of information as far as I can tell? Large Aperture Prime is all we got int he gray areas for 2015. Note all the updates with the inclusion of the new 28mm f/2 w/ adapters, Zeiss Distagon T* 35mm f/1.4 ZA Lens, 90mm f/2.8 OSS G Lens, and the 24-240mm OSS lens looks like an affordable all in one zoom lens solution. Not a G rating like I was original thinking, sorry for that I was mistaken!

Full Frame E-Mount Lens Expansion Plans for 2015??

So what do ya think?? F/1.4 has got to be good news for many and the 90mm macro is f/2.8 G OSS which is awesome and I want one!

Jay
    hello Folks
    i am not very often online (living on a boat) and quite franckly i am getting lost (and fed up) with the thousands options for lenses for my A7 and not even one is working for me...
    I LOVE my A7, the ergonomic, the menu is way better than the NEX 6, BUT i need a 20mm to 24mm prime lens for street photography with autofocus and i cannot find anything suitable... what a shame... So i am using my 19mm tamron from the NEX6 without the crop factor setting, then i crop myself so i get a bit more wide angle and about 1Mb more in the file size. It sucks... but it is the best i have found... I tried a copy of metabone adaptor (viltrox) and it damaged my camera, so i gave up the idea of using my canon lenses, i just want a simple prime f2.8 between 20 and 24mm not obscenely expensive... Does anyone has a clue of some glass like that to come soon?
    thanks
    bruno

Hi Bruno, and hopefully soon they will come out with more. You do have a few old school lens options in this master list here: The Ultimate lens and lens Adapter Combos for the Sony E-Mount Mirrorless cameras >>

The wider and faster the lens, the more money though when it comes to old school full frame lenses!

I hope that helps a little and I hear your frustration load and clear as does Sony I'm sure

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

It's already December of 2014 and there's only 1 out of the 6 planned 2014 lenses released. Maybe Sony had expectations too high for 6 lenses in the span of a few months and could not R&D them in time? New releases don't usually surface until quite some time after Black Friday. The suspense is high, and so are the expectations.
    (Insert list of camera gear that lets others know how much money you have here.)

Sony often disappoints in this regard, so hopefully they did not false promise yet again Come on Sony! At least give us a date....

Jay

Personally, being an engineer myself, I'd rather see them get the design fully developed, and the design compromises beat to death, before they release the product. Nothing worse than a hastily released product with bugs or avoidable shortcomings.

Here's a minor complaint about these 'roadmaps' that Sony publishes for their e-mount systems: They need to show a roadmap of ALL MANUFACTURERS that make e-mount lenses. I know that this can be counter intuitive, but I don't know how many reviews of the e-mount systems that complain that there are only a few lenses. It's no comparison to Canikon or micro 4/3... I really need a nice listing of ALL e-mount lenses available and under development is all I'm saying. Is there such a list on the SAL web site?

Sony wouldn't be able to guarantee third party lens manufacturers though.

Would be nice to have made by a dedicated fan would keep an updated list of upcoming lenses and maybe a list dedicated to current production lenses from OEM and third party lens manufacturers.
    (Insert list of camera gear that lets others know how much money you have here.)

Thanks Panza. You're right. But technically, Sony can't guarantee their own time table. Logically speaking ALL predictions of what will happen in the future cannot be guaranteed. Heck, even just a listing of all current native lenses would be great!

But, that would be wonderful if a dedicated fan would keep an updated list of at least all current FE lenses and maybe add the upcoming ones to that, too.

Sony Alpha Labs is so far the best resource, by far. So, I'm not trying to knock on what Jay is doing here.

What about the E-Mount Lens Guide Page? Is this good enough? Any ideas how can it be improved to meet your needs if not?

http://www.sonyalphalab.com/sony-alp...-buying-guide/

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    What about the E-Mount Lens Guide Page? Is this good enough? Any ideas how can it be improved to meet your needs if not?

http://www.sonyalphalab.com/sony-alp...-buying-guide/

Jay

Found it after a bit of searching. You have to scroll down past the Sony E mount Lens guide section, specfically the OEM lenses to get to the box below which contains the tabs. It does say to click on the manufacturer tabs in large red font; however it is hard to gather because after reading the top introduction and scrolling down your eyes are already into "picture" mode and the tabs can be easily overlooked.

For example, if I want to go back to the tabs, I have to press "Page Up" or scroll up to return and search for the tabs. I can press "Home" button, but I have to scroll "Page Down" and search for the tab again. (Most casual computers won't know what page up or down is either)
    Last edited by Panza; Dec 25 2014 at 10:16 PM.

Great feedback Pan!!

So, you think if I remove the photos from the top area and move them down to below the tabs it would make more sense? I think it would based on everything you just said.

I really appreciatte you taking the time to break that down like you did. I only see it from my perspective and it's really hard to assume what works for the viewer

Very appreciative,

Jay

I found your full list, Jay. Glad I did. Now I am not as lost as I used to be. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Adamddoo View Post
    I found your full list, Jay. Glad I did. Now I am not as lost as I used to be. :-)
    Awesome news! I also updated the guide and moved the images down under the Tabs mentioned above. Should be easier for you all to navigate the guide now?

Thanks again,
    Jay

Bruno,

The 28 f2 G lens will have a wide angel adapter to make it around 20. This might hopefully be a solution

Here is a photo of the new Sony FE lenses coming soon thanks to SonyAlphaRumors and Sony: http://www.sony.jp/camera/cp2015/

Pretty cool stuff if you ask me and I can't wait to try all of them out

Jay

I noticed that the 35mm lens has an aperture ring. I like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Panza View Post
    I noticed that the 35mm lens has an aperture ring. I like this.
    Thanks for the comments,

Honestly they all look great except that 20mm looks really small compared to the fish eye adaptable lens I was thinking? I was hoping they would be the same size like the 16mm E-Mount lens and conversion lenses it has. This does not appear to be the case from the images above, so the fish eye adapter lens will be much larger on the front of the 20mm lens which will look a bit weird is all. Looks the the wide angle unit is the same diameter though which is great as it will maintain f/2 Oh yeah!

Jay

It would be nice if they would list the Zeiss Touit lenses. I have the beautiful 1.8/32mm which is very close to a fast "normal" on the a6000. There are some other Touit lenses, but not sure just exactly how many. Wish Sony could convert the silver lenses to black. Silver looks cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by jimep View Post
    It would be nice if they would list the Zeiss Touit lenses. I have the beautiful 1.8/32mm which is very close to a fast "normal" on the a6000. There are some other Touit lenses, but not sure just exactly how many. Wish Sony could convert the silver lenses to black. Silver looks cheap.
    Likewise, I prefer black telephoto lenses .... I don't care if they become hot in the sun ... having the option to have a nice sleek black lens is an attractive option to me. Im odd and I like lenses based on their looks.

I want this guy

I'd love to know what sonys plans are for the aps-c lens, I would love a reasonably priced macro lens with a little more reach than the sel30m35, the FE 90mm macro will be priced well out of my range I feel atm
    I used to own stuff

They're coming ... soon. The 28mm, the 35mm, the 24-240mm, and the 90mm. : )

Look the beauties I tried today...

Name:  _DSC9354.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  126.9 KB

Name:  _DSC9358.jpg
Views: 1337
Size:  136.0 KB

The 35 1.4 is a big beast lens. Feels solid like the 16-35, may even more because doesn't zoom. Looks very sharp for what I see wide open.

But the 90mm was amazing! Solid an old school lens, feels amazing on the a7ii! Hard to describe, best E mount lens in build quality by far (the 28-135 is a tank too, but a HUGE tank). So great to change from MF to AF, you can MF by wire (pressing the MF button on camera) or on tradition way (pull/push on the lens). The IQ looks suberb too, maybe the best E mount lens ever?

Fantastic report Flavio and thanks for sharing! I want that 90mm so bad and would not mind having the 35mm in my arsenal. Perhaps it is time to put the A7r up on Ebay after all

Jay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast