Thread: DJI F450 w/NAZA M GPS/Compass on a Futaba 8FGS

Hardcore Member

Red face DJI F450 w/NAZA M GPS/Compass on a Futaba 8FGS

I scored on this! Quadcopters are being attacked hard in the press, most people call them 'drones'(I don't really like that term, makes them sound like military weapons or something?) Anyway, the score....fella I purchased this from was saving for an engagement ring(I did my part to help get him towards that 'one knee day'). So I received approximately $1,200 worth of stuff for about a third of the price!!!!

Here is one of his video's he made:

The price was right and it came with 'everything' to begin aerial photography/videoing(Hero 3+ Silver Edition on a Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal)! The kits can still be purchased from DJI retailers or online shops for not too much, but you will need some knowledge about soldering and then it's easy enough to just plug connector into 'slots'.

I haven't decided if this one should be a 'she' or an 'it'.....time will tell(when it stops raining).

Three modes of flight on this one. Everything is set up through the Futaba transmitter.

**Toggle to "GPS" mode, and I could get the quad in the air, let go of all the 'sticks', go inside and eat lunch and the quad will be in the same spot when I came back outside(although flight time is about 7-9 minutes with all the gear----I'd need to eat fast).
    ** Toggle to "ATT" mode, and the quad will stay at the same attitude, but I can still maintain control of direction or rotation(great for filming)!
    ** Toggle to "Manual" mode, and I can do rolls, loops, and go absolutely nuts(preferably without $400 worth of camera and gimbal under the chassis).

From testing in the house, the gimbal is very smooth and easily controlled on the 'slider' on the back of the remote. Stability is key to keep folks from barfing while watching a 'flight video'!!!

With that said, I downloaded some software and hooked the quadcopter to the computer. Sort of a fancy way to be sure the transmitter toggles and switches do what they are labeled to do! Wouldn't want to whack the Manual Mode instead of tilting the camera on the gimbal....crashes happen, but no sense doing it on purpose....I should take a few photo's and post them here(should have done that before typing all this)!

Perhaps someone can give me some pointers on video editing software(preferably something that I can try as 'freeware' for simple editing and adding music)??

Scott (taking photo's cause I'm lame and didn't do it) B

Hardcore Member
    I have re-wired some stuff, took the FPV(first person view) off(for now as I don't have the gear to use it), and basically tidied up the wiring.....

Yes, the battery was not installed, and the GoPro is 'hanging' in the gimbal. The manual for the GoPro is actually larger and more complicated then the transmitter for the quad! It may take a long, long time to fully understand the 'things' I want/need to know! Until then.....I'm winging it!!!!

Scott (I'll get some short vids soon) B

Good for you Scott and thank you very much for sharing the detailed photos and video your friend made!! You know how I love looking at the copters close-up I'm watching video now

Have fun and good luck! Manuals Suck but are a necessary evil. I feel your pain brother...

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Hardcore Member
    Should have mentioned.....if you watch the video above, it will show 'more available videos'. Some of those video may not have been done using this quad set-up(could be from his other quad-think he already sold that one-the DJI S900).

I think summer has left....it is 56*F outside! ECK!!!!!

Scott (batteries all charged.....) B

It is chilly here in NY this morning as well

Remember, more short clips are better than a lot of long video clips they say nd trying to tell a story is key I'm totally talking out of my A$$, but for video I've been really trying to apply those basic rules..... I have a lot to learn with quality video clearly!

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Hardcore Member
    After going 8-rounds against a computer software program, a quadcopter, and a transmitter....I came out at about 90%. Still have one issue between the GoPro Hero3 Silver and the Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal(it locks the camera up when I plug it into the data port).

But fresh batteries all around, and to the backyard I went. Was trying to 'ease it' off the ground, but I found out the quick way....that doesn't work! Slapped the transmitter into GPS, locked the 'home', and throttled up 75%. She jumped off the ground, and I quickly throttled to about 50%....hovering right in place. Wind would push it, but the quad came right back. AIL was set up in reverse, but that was a quick fix between battery changing.

So, this brings me to now.....software downloading, installing, and typing away. In hopes that daylight tomorrow morning will be awesome! I'll have the camera mounted(without data plugged in), and I do a few videos.....til then

Scott (wore the dog out) B

OH yeah, can't wait to see and nice work! Trouble shooting is the hardest, but also the most rewarding if you get the job done of course Pretty interesting about the gimbal and data port?

Best of luck,
    Jay

Hardcore Member
    Winds out of 'my limits' for the morning....not wanting to put this much cash into a tree(due to in experience).

The camera vs. the gimbal is still a problem, even with the download I did last night(update the camera)? It has to be something simple...I hope? Because I've done all the hard things! Watched, I dunno how many, video's of folks having 'lock-up' issues with the Hero 3+ Silver though.....

On the plus side.
    I mowed the lawn, turned a few pens, made some wood blanks today! I even took the weed-whacker to a spot on the lawn that is really hard and flat for my new launching pad, after that I got the blower out and 'moved' anything that could get sucked through a motor! Although, since I'm not flying right now, the dog has decided to use the 'spot' as a sun bathing location.....so everyone is happy!

Scott (naptime) B

Sorry to hear that Scott, but better safe than sorry! Better off getting all the other stuff done anyhow probably. Good luck with the gimbal issue and I really look forward to seeing some action

Jay

Hardcore Member
    Well, I guess I should be happy I haven't wasted any money buying lottery tickets?!?!?!

The latest problem(s).....took a video of what it is, or is not doing to send to the fella I got the unit from...to see if he could troubleshoot from 750miles away. The unit was working fine three days ago, hasn't been kicked, dropped, crashed, or anything. I know y'all will probably look at the video saying, 'okay?'. But I figured the video may help someone 'down-the-line' that may have the same issue....or maybe not? I will repeat, the fella sent me a working unit, it is not in anyway his issue/fault!

Murphy's Law is alive and well!
    Called the DJI 'helpline', was transferred three times, explained the issue in each transferring, was put on hold each time, and then on the last transferring was told to send the unit in and their techs would repair the unit($50/hr labor) and replace parts as needed(give us a blank check), and it would only take between 4 to 6 weeks! So, total time on phone yesterday...1hr34mins, and learned nothing other then send us money(or spend more money)!

or

Take the unit into the nearest 'dealer' and they could look at it($35hr at the closest place....Southaven MS-165miles away). If they couldn't fix it, then I should get replacement parts and start swapping them out....WT??? Huh?

So from these options, things are not sounding very good. Considering the NAZA M unit isn't making 'sounds' on start-up, I was thinking that is the first place I'd be looking($299 for that 'stuff', you can't buy just the 'main controller')! So, I'm sitting here searching the 'net for reasons things just stop working and how to fix them...no luck?

Scott (pretty cruddy deal) B

Oh man that sucks Scott! Have you looked Mutli Rotor Forums?? http://www.multirotorforums.com/

I have no time to watch the video now, but I will later and let you know if anything comes to mind!

Jay

Weird? Seams like it clearly communicates, but the signal is not going to motors?

Jay

Hardcore Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Weird? Seams like it clearly communicates, but the signal is not going to motors?

Jay

I took my lightmeter and jumped the positive to the positive(motor lead), and I have tone coming from the ESC's(all of them). Seems I either have a break in the negative lead somewhere inside the 'board'(the lower panel is a printed circuit board for power distribution)...or ??

I'm thinking I might need to just get another lower panel(new circuit board), and redo everything? I'll have to look around to find one(most are only offered in complete kits, I don't need all the other stuff).... The quad came from a fella at mutlirotorforum He has been trying to help me figure it out, but being 750 miles away doesn't really 'work' in trying to translate what stuff is/isn't doing.

Scott (took the LOML fly-fishing today...she's happy) B

Well, that just completely shot down any possible ideas I was brewing Everything seams to check out that I could think of "wire" wise. Is there a way to measure the voltage going to the motor when you try to start it? The output of those voltage pack units just before the motors. I believe those convert the battery voltage and do all the regulating. Perhaps they are not hooked up correctly? Good luck and can you use wires to rule out the circuit board? I really have no idea, sry...

I figured there would be several seasoned experts over their that could help resolve this quickly, but it's a really hard one. You are being challenged Scott, clearly! I bet if I did'nt lose mine, I would go through something very similar That reminds me, I need to search for my drone again now that the leaves have fallen a bit!

Take care,
    Jay

Hardcore Member
    Wait...you lost it? When did that happen? Fly-away?

Was thinking, I really need to get one of those GPS tracker things to glue on this one. Phone tracker or something.... Especially if I get into the FPV goggle flying stuff, everything looks the same when a quad is hanging in a tree upside down. Might be okay for local flying where you sort of know the neighborhood, but if I were to be at Little Red watching the river go by and OOPS, hanging in a tree!

Ordered a new lower control board($16 plus shipping), not getting power for whatever reason without jumping. Looked over the entire lower board for 'bubbles or burnt spots', but I didn't see anything, even with a magnifying glass... Figured a new board, a roll of solder, and a few hours of 'fun' has got to be easier then 'troubleshooting' stuff I don't know about. And forums like multi are great, if you like waiting a few days for someone to share their experience(if they have any in the same department). Been down a week already, not any closer to an answer, so I going to try something(be it right or wrong).

Scott (this thing WILL fly) B

Smart move and I hate waiting also. For $16 it's totally worth trying and soldering is a lot of fun!!

I lost mine a while ago in the trees right next to my house I think. I lost sight of it and it never came back

Jay

Hardcore Member
    WOOHOO! I can solder just fine while sucking down quantities of cold meds!(I just proved it)

After seeing the package from Heli arrive the other day, and being too tired to get the new lower board soldered up....
    I took the time today(in between the misery of sinus drainage) to get some 'fun done'. That's right, fresh board, fresh soldering! Only took all afternoon....had to take nap in between. Hooked up to the Assistant software, checked everything four times, and ended up having to do a 'NAZA dance', and then check everything again.

I have the ESC tones that I was lacking. The motors all had to be 'two-wire-swapped' to get them running in the correct direction. Balanced the quad - think I'm close enough for non-government work! So, all that is remaining is to go outside and fly it. At this point I should say....not going to happen today, too sick, too tired again, and to hopped-up on cold meds.

So I guess if I'm feeling better tomorrow morning, and not under the influence of meds, I'll take it outside for a really early flight....maybe catch the sunrise via 1080 @ 30fps?

Scott (cold meds are fun) B

Great work Scott and to be clear the problem was broken traces in the circuit board on the bottom? How did you know the motors were backwards?

Thanks,
    Jay

Hardcore Member
    When in the Assistant software(plugs into the LED output to USB2.0), there is an option to 'motor test'. By clicking on the motor, it rotates them(without props on). If the prop is spinning backwards, you just swap any of two of the three wiring between ESCs and motors....Easier to do that type!

And yes, somewhere inside the circuit board, something melted/broke/whatever....$16 and a few hours on the soldering iron!

I can see about 7 more 3600mAh 3S batteries, and a few road-trips to get some sample footage to play with!

Scott (posted a video already) B

Yeah man, thanks bud for all the info. That makes sense now that you explained to me again That specific motor spin test was failing last time in your video I remember.

Really nice work and I'm glad it was such an affordable, although time consuming fix. Soldering can be a lot of fun. One time I had a meltdown on my POS motorcycle after I crashed it, and had to splice the whole think in the middle! That was a job for me back in the day.

I can't wait to see more of your videos and 3 or 4 battery packs should be enough for some solid fun assuming you have a fast portable charger of some kind! Somebody sent me a link to a killer battery pack that would give you more flight time, but it's the same size I believe. I'll try and find it...

Be sure to clean the lens on the GoPro just before launch because my finger always seams to land right on the darn thing when I had one. It's hard to tell though until it's to late.

Have fun and good luck,
    Jay

Hardcore Member
    I have a Hobby King place in the town next door(although I can't go to their business and get what I need-go figure?) So batteries aren't a problem.

I have noticed the 3600-sized is about the breaking point for mAh versus weight. The 3600mAh will give me about 10-12 minutes flight(max), but I cut my flights to about 7 or 8(max)......far easier to land with extra power then to try and catch the quad in a freefall!

Finished editing a second flight...it'll be a while before it is loaded to YT!!!

Scott (I could see going octo) B