Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New iPhone 6 Plus looks like saving for :)

my thoughts....

You do know that you are discussing this with someone who worked at Apple in both design & retail?

I'm not Pro or Con regarding Apple, but the majority has got accustomed to thinking the simple fact that Apple products are superior.
    I just find IOS to be "boring" and hasn't changed enough to compete with Android.
    Unless you're a developer and understand the in's & out's of either OS, then maybe that is why "everyone" thinks this way.
    Just compare a regular point & shoot (Apple iPhone) to a DSLR (Android)...even with jailbreaking the iPhone, there is only so much that can be "improved".

This is only my opinion and I don't expect anyone else to understand.

As far as Samsung goes...I'm not impressed.
    To me it is a "toy" due to their "Touch Wiz" OS!

To experience actual Android...try the Google Nexus or at least Sony Xperia!
    Sony Alpha A6000
    SEL1018 : SELP18105G : SELP1650 : SEL55210 : SEL50F18 : SEL35F18 : SEL30M35 : SEL20F28
    VCL-ECU1 Ultra Wide Lens Converter
    Fotodiox PRO NIK(G) - NEX D-Click Adapter
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    LIM'S LE-HCA6000BK Half Case
    N
    eewer Vertical Battery Grip

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dragion/

Novice with a passion for creativity!
    Joint Photographic Experts Group

*hand-held only

Quote Originally Posted by dragion View Post
    You do know that you are discussing this with someone who worked at Apple in both design & retail?

I'm not Pro or Con regarding Apple, but the majority has got accustomed to thinking the simple fact that Apple products are superior.
    I just find IOS to be "boring" and hasn't changed enough to compete with Android.
    Unless you're a developer and understand the in's & out's of either OS, then maybe that is why "everyone" thinks this way.
    Just compare a regular point & shoot (Apple iPhone) to a DSLR (Android)...even with jailbreaking the iPhone, there is only so much that can be "improved".

This is only my opinion and I don't expect anyone else to understand.

As far as Samsung goes...I'm not impressed.
    To me it is a "toy" due to their "Touch Wiz" OS!

To experience actual Android...try the Google Nexus or at least Sony Xperia!
    I think we are on the same page here bud

You find the apple OS "boring" totally understandable considering what is available these days. Especially the features as I said! I have not used those other phones yet, so I'm only speaking from the garbage Samsung I have actually used.

Here is how I like to look at it which I thik will make perfect sense to you.

I used to build my own computers back in the day, because it was a lot of fun and I could get way more power for the dollar and so fourth. Constant upgrading for gaming with video cards and such. That was a lotof fun, but when it came to actually using the computer for photoshop or any kind of real work, it often had problems. It just was not as good for that particular task. Gaming the PC was a monster, but when my "needs changed" I no longer wanted to fiddle with drivers and all that other crap. I just want a turn key solution that always works. After being told by several pro photography friends years ago to check out the macs. Being totally skeptical I actually went to the mac store and played with a laptop for that had Photoshop and and a few other programs installed. The speed at which the MacBook Pro machine operated was night and day, and I was running a over-clocked quadcore with crazy ram and all sorts of other stuff. Clearly the windows machine was optimized for gaming, but just the incredible smoothness and "user experience" of the Mac switching between programs, going in to the settings for example, adding a printer, installing programs, you name it. Everything is so much easier and I dread having to use my windows laptop for work. I constantly have headaches with my work laptop no matter what I'm doing I'm telling you.

Same with my work phone, but as you said it's junk.

I totally understand the iPhone being behind in technology, but for me it's still prefect for my needs other than the screen size I use the camera occasionally, but I really don't care about that, just the iPod and User interface (a keyboard that works for example) is all that matter to me.

Again, I agree the iPhone can't compete with the modern android in specs or features, but UI can be dabated though I bet?? I need to get to best buy today to try the Google Nexus and Sony Xperia ASAP!!

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I think we are on the same page here bud

You find the apple OS "boring" totally understandable considering what is available these days. Especially the features as I said! I have not used those other phones yet, so I'm only speaking from the garbage Samsung I have actually used.

Here is how I like to look at it which I thik will make perfect sense to you.

I used to build my own computers back in the day, because it was a lot of fun and I could get way more power for the dollar and so fourth. Constant upgrading for gaming with video cards and such. That was a lotof fun, but when it came to actually using the computer for photoshop or any kind of real work, it often had problems. It just was not as good for that particular task. Gaming the PC was a monster, but when my "needs changed" I no longer wanted to fiddle with drivers and all that other crap. I just want a turn key solution that always works. After being told by several pro photography friends years ago to check out the macs. Being totally skeptical I actually went to the mac store and played with a laptop for that had Photoshop and and a few other programs installed. The speed at which the MacBook Pro machine operated was night and day, and I was running a over-clocked quadcore with crazy ram and all sorts of other stuff. Clearly the windows machine was optimized for gaming, but just the incredible smoothness and "user experience" of the Mac switching between programs, going in to the settings for example, adding a printer, installing programs, you name it. Everything is so much easier and I dread having to use my windows laptop for work. I constantly have headaches with my work laptop no matter what I'm doing I'm telling you.

Same with my work phone, but as you said it's junk.

I totally understand the iPhone being behind in technology, but for me it's still prefect for my needs other than the screen size I use the camera occasionally, but I really don't care about that, just the iPod and User interface (a keyboard that works for example) is all that matter to me.

Again, I agree the iPhone can't compete with the modern android in specs or features, but UI can be dabated though I bet?? I need to get to best buy today to try the Google Nexus and Sony Xperia ASAP!!

Jay
    Me & you...we're the same...

I too came from building my own PC back in the day & was a hardcore Windows guy...until I started going back to school to study some web design courses I ended up going with the iMac.
    I understand that as far as "user" interface goes...Apple has it down pact. It is the simple & ease of using Apple products that has made them what they are and Apple is continuing that with their current products.
    As they say "don't fix what's not broken"... But sometimes change is good.

I completely agree that Apple's computer's are still my favorite...I'm actually beta testing OS X Yosemite on my iMac.
    I do find that I'm liking Windows 8.1 on my Sony Vaio Duo 13...it's similar to Microsoft Surface 3, but better.
    It like having both a PC & a tablet all in one...best of both worlds.

On the other hand, I feel that IOS needs to be changed to compete...if it wasn't for Apple's apps, then I wouldn't bother with the iPad.

I wouldn't go as far as saying Samsung is "junk", but I myself don't care for their Touch Wiz operating system...some say it has improved with the Galaxy S5.
    I don't think that Best Buy carries either Nexus or Xperia smartphones, but you can check out the Nexus tablet which runs on Android.

I'm sorry if this has become a "debate"...I wasn't trying to make a stand against Apple.
    I was just sharing my thoughts on where Apple has come from and where they are going with their new iPhone & Apple watch.
    Sony Alpha A6000
    SEL1018 : SELP18105G : SELP1650 : SEL55210 : SEL50F18 : SEL35F18 : SEL30M35 : SEL20F28
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    N

*hand-held only

Welcome to 2012
    Name:  iphone-troll.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  214.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
    Welcome to 2012
    Name:  iphone-troll.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  214.7 KB
    My point exactly!
    They could at least made the iPhone "water resistant", but instead they are trying to make a profit from the cases instead.
    I just love how I can rinse off my Sony Xperia whenever anything gets on it...even if it's just from my own grubby hands!
    Sony Alpha A6000
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    N

*hand-held only

No worries at all Dragion I don't mind going back and fourth on this stuff at all, especially if it's rational like this discussion.

We are just having fun and being honest! I admit apple is far behind in features and specs, but hold to my UI argument.... That being said, I have to try the newer phones you mentioned for a fair assessment.

I would go as far as say the Samsung s4 I use is junk! Compared to the build quality of even and older iPhone or the Sony Xperia, it's not even close. And the price is still up their because of the amazing features. You get what you pay for more with the apple product I feel like for my personal lifestyle. Turn key syncing that always works, programs that always work and don't freeze and so fourth. My Samsung pnone hangs all the time and the battery is dead in only a few hours standby with wi-fi off. I really don't use it much at all either, because I also have my iPhone with me. My much older and crappier iPhone can be on the counter all weekend without going below 50% battery life. It's amazing in comparison to any other phone I have had personally in that standby style battery life. Phone on, but not in use I'm talking.

I any event we agree to disagree for now on the phones...

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Welcome to 2012
    I saw this on Goolge+ yesterday and had to laugh, I mean come-on apple!!

Jay

Awesome iPhone 6/6+/5s camera review by Austin Mann:

http://austinmann.com/trek/iphone-6-...review-iceland

My iPhone 6 was supposed to arrive today but now it seems to be lost in the DHL nirvana.
    The eye takes the picture, not the camera. (Gisèle Freund)
    My photostream on Flickriver
    ∞500px

Finally.
    Amateur and unskilled photographer with a very small collection of gears.

Jealous I saw the regular 6 at Best Buy, but it was not powered up. They did not have the 6+ which is what I wanted to play with.

Thanks for the review link Walter, I will watch that for sure!

Jay

And there are many reports coming up that the IPhone 6 plus tends to get bend when put on your pant front pocket . Here is a video of some guy who actually did a stress test & was successful in bending that phone .

BTW I am neither Android nor IOS user. Am a windows user

My iPhone 6 arrived the day before yesterday. I'm loving it so far, I can't confirm any extreme battery drain issue, works fine for me. And I definitely do not plan to bend it

Note (©Scott Kelby):
    This post is for folks who have iPhones and have, or are considering, downloaded IOS 8. No comparisons to any other phones of any kind were made or implied. If you don’t have an iPhone then this isn’t for you – feel free to completely ignore it. There’s no need to defend your choice of a competing phone or mention how much better your phone choice is; how your phone has had all these features since 1972 and how dumb we all are, and so on. Thanks.
    ∞500px

Got the iPhone 6 on Saturday and iPhone 6 Plus on Tuesday. iPhone 6 was easier to get (still not that easy), and took me a few nights to reserve online for the 6 Plus. (We all hate those cash-loaded profit making scalpers. )

So I played the iPhone 6 Plus today. Here are my first impressions (after less than 1 day usage):
    The Con:
    Too big. I've been using iPhone 3G since I launched in Australia, followed every update… 3.5-inch for years, just recently got used to 4-inch screen in iPhone 5 (released in Sept 2012), not the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus is simply way too big on my hand, and won't fit my pocket.
    They moved the sleep/wake button. It has been on top of the iPhone (original to 5s/5c), I am used to its location.
    The Pro:
    It's big. Obviously, I love the larger screen and larger text.
    Easier to type, the onscreen keyboard is bigger and more space to type.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinjith View Post
    And there are many reports coming up that the IPhone 6 plus tends to get bend when put on your pant front pocket .
    According to report, Apple will offer free service to bent iPhone 6s. That is, if you don't bend it intentionally.

Patiently waiting for my 6+ to ship. Ordered on 9/12 but is on hold until November for some reason. The main reason I buy iPhones is because I love OSX and it works almost flawlessly with my iPhone and Apple TV. My 2 kids have iPads, I call them/ Facetime/ Text them and they can call me back easily without having to log in to an app like Skype. The apps store has a high quality amount of apps that I can trust. iCloud pictures are a breeze to share pictures with my wife and family members. Before iOS8 the kids used to send me screen shots for games they wanted and now they can just try to buy it, I get to approve it and there it goes. Touch ID is convenient. It's got a great camera. It might not be better than X smartphone in X specific feature, but it works just fine.

I think this is my first iPhone fanboy comment in a forum hehe.

For those who has not come across this news .. Apple to release iOS 8.0.2 in the 'next few days'
    Summary: Apple is now telling users to roll back their new iPhones to the first version of iOS 8 after the first update to the operating system caused a raft of problems.

Source :- http://www.zdnet.com/apple-to-releas...tag=TRE17cfd61

What that guy did with his 6+ is noting but views grab.
    I work as quality technician and I test tensile strength of metals as part of my daily job, what he did got nothing to do with science or proper tensile testing.
    Yes he did manage to bend his 6+ but we don't know how much force was used or what are the specs for that phone. I'm sure I could bend my Xperia Z1 if I tried to do it, with my hands not machine that can do 100,000 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by antony View Post
    Got the iPhone 6 on Saturday and iPhone 6 Plus on Tuesday. iPhone 6 was easier to get (still not that easy), and took me a few nights to reserve online for the 6 Plus. (We all hate those cash-loaded profit making scalpers. )

So I played the iPhone 6 Plus today. Here are my first impressions (after less than 1 day usage):
    The Con:
    Too big. I've been using iPhone 3G since I launched in Australia, followed every update… 3.5-inch for years, just recently got used to 4-inch screen in iPhone 5 (released in Sept 2012), not the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus is simply way too big on my hand, and won't fit my pocket.
    They moved the sleep/wake button. It has been on top of the iPhone (original to 5s/5c), I am used to its location.
    The Pro:
    It's big. Obviously, I love the larger screen and larger text.
    Easier to type, the onscreen keyboard is bigger and more space to type.

Thanks for the hands on report Antony I had a feeling it might be to big, but that huge screen is infectious!!

Jay

What that guy did with his 6+ is noting but views grab.
    I work as quality technician and I test tensile strength of metals as part of my daily job, what he did got nothing to do with science or proper tensile testing.
    Yes he did manage to bend his 6+ but we don't know how much force was used or what are the specs for that phone. I'm sure I could bend my Xperia Z1 if I tried to do it, with my hands not machine that can do 100,000 lbs
    Sounds like a really cool job and I totally agree with what you just said! We need to know the actual specs and how much force is actually being applied to judge fairly. It is clearly not as rigid though due to the overall wider thinner form factor.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by josegabrielsanc View Post
    Patiently waiting for my 6+ to ship. Ordered on 9/12 but is on hold until November for some reason. The main reason I buy iPhones is because I love OSX and it works almost flawlessly with my iPhone and Apple TV. My 2 kids have iPads, I call them/ Facetime/ Text them and they can call me back easily without having to log in to an app like Skype. The apps store has a high quality amount of apps that I can trust. iCloud pictures are a breeze to share pictures with my wife and family members. Before iOS8 the kids used to send me screen shots for games they wanted and now they can just try to buy it, I get to approve it and there it goes. Touch ID is convenient. It's got a great camera. It might not be better than X smartphone in X specific feature, but it works just fine.

I think this is my first iPhone fanboy comment in a forum hehe.
    My first was the original post I believe Total fan boy!

Jay

And there are many reports coming up that the IPhone 6 plus tends to get bend when put on your pant front pocket . Here is a video of some guy who actually did a stress test & was successful in bending that phone .

BTW I am neither Android nor IOS user. Am a windows user
    Well, this would suck if it actual bent when put in the back or front pocket and you leaned on something for example. Not really that surprised consider the size and thickness

Jay

The iOS 8.0.1 update disaster should not have happened, at least not to a company like Apple that claims to develop the best software for a mobile phone. I got my brand new 6 bricked, without cellphone service and Touch ID functionality. It took me 3 hours to downgrade to 8.0. and restore all the stuff again. 3 things I have learned:

- Don't be always the first to install recently released updates. Actually the iPhone was just installing iOS 8.0.1 when I got a push message from a German forum on my iPad that there is no cellphone service after the update. Too late, couldn't stop it anymore.
    - Don't install updates OTA, use iTunes. It seems that affected iPhones were all updated wirelessly.
    - Always back up your phone. Normally I have regular updates, but this time, after migrating the content of my iPhone 4 to iOS 8.0, I did not back up at once.

Apple should give us a compensation for the inconvenience caused by the flawed update. Maybe another free U2 album?:
    ∞500px

Sorry to hear Walter... You didn't bend it yet?

I try to never buy the new gear when it first comes out or update when it first comes out for this exact reason! Same with the website, forum, and laptop, updates!!

Steve Jobs was such an asset to Apple and seamed to demand better software quality control at the cost of some innovation speed perhaps?

I totally agree on the compensation from Apple. It's the right thing to do considering the huge blunder and loss of time on the customers part!

Thanks for the update and I still need to get my hands on a 6+

Jay

For those who has not come across this news .. Apple to release iOS 8.0.2 in the 'next few days'
    Summary: Apple is now telling users to roll back their new iPhones to the first version of iOS 8 after the first update to the operating system caused a raft of problems.

Source :- http://www.zdnet.com/apple-to-releas...tag=TRE17cfd61
    Thanks.
    I don't rush to the latest software update on almost everything. I am still on iOS 8.0 (and iOS 7.1.2 on iPhone 5s etc).
    I've learned not to upgrade any major versions (i.e. iOS 5 to iOS 6), only minor updates (e.g. iOS 5 to iOS 5.1) and no need to rush.

Thanks for the hands on report Antony I had a feeling it might be to big, but that huge screen is infectious!!

Jay
    size comparison:

In order of iPhone 4s, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad mini, iPad Air.

Wow, killer stack bud In this size comparison, the 6+ does not look near as big as I suspected! I thought it was at least 1/2 inch wider than what you are showing. This is good news for me!

best,
    Jay

Wow, killer stack bud In this size comparison, the 6+ does not look near as big as I suspected! I thought it was at least 1/2 inch wider than what you are showing. This is good news for me!

best,
    Jay
    Thanks. You haven't seen the real stack shot. (stay tuned)

I know I complained about the size, but I also like the size (of screen). It certainly is more comfortable to work with (apart from carrying it).

iPhone 6+ certainly do not fit into my pocket. (I don't wear baggy trousers.) I have to carry it in my manbag.

Bendgate 2014 - Totally Overblown?

Bendgate 2014 - Totally Overblown?

Consumer Reports has a go...

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...gate/index.htm

Results of Consumer Reports smart phone bend test

Deformation Case separation
    HTC One (M8) 70 pounds 90 pounds
    Apple iPhone 6 70 pounds 100 pounds
    Apple iPhone 6 Plus 90 pounds 110 pounds
    LG G3 130 pounds 130 pounds
    Apple iPhone 5 130 pounds 150 pounds
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 150 pounds 150 pounds

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12