• Chubs - Sony A7r + LA-EA4 + A-Mount 135mm f/1.8 ZA Lens

I took this photo with my full frame Sony A7r and the LA-EA4 lens adapter with the A-Mount 135mm f/1.8 Carl Zeiss T* Lens mounted. I received that gear plus the Zeiss Touit 50mm f/2.8 Macro Lens on Monday.

Pretty amazed so far at the sharpness so far wide open at f/1.8 as shown below. The contrast and colors are really punchy as well in my opinion when shooting raw quality. I did do minor adjustments in Lightroom 5 to this image including a tone curve - medium contrast, and a few spot removals of eye gook and what not. I also added the lens correction profile which did fix some noticeable vignette, but added that back in with the effect. I also made a very slight crop tot he image.

The focus on the SAL135F17z lens is pretty fast, but the whole ring turns with the focus which I do not like. It makes it harder to hold the lens, although I have now adjusted and it really is not that bad. If you lean the lens on something though and the focus ring is touching it will grind away or want the camera and lens one way or another. It's a always active focus ring I guess is the best way to put it if you are not familiar. I think the 85mm f/1.4 Carl Zeiss lens did the same thing when I had it, but it was so long ago I honestly can't remember. If the focus has a long way to go then it is not very fast, but when it close to mark it is really fast! For example I kept focusing on Chubs over and over as he moved and those micro adjustments were super fast and incredible accurate. All my shots so far are dead on where I had the center focus point.

The lens is heavy for sure, but my hands just adjusted to deal with it and the lens adapter on the A7r. Ergonomically it's actually pretty good, because the bottom of the LAEA4 lens adapter is flat which allows my left and to hold and support the camera. I have my had face up with my fingers extending to the front of the lens just before the lens hood. So my fingers stretch over the focus ring without touching it. SO far this method is working great for me and not hard to hold or burdensome honestly. It's basically exactly how I use the lens color on the 70-200mm lens to support it.

Chubs - Sony A7r w/ LA-EA4 + 135mm f/1.8 ZA Lens
    by SonyAlphaLab, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and what do you think?

Jay
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Chubs - Sony A7r + LA-EA4 + A-Mount 135mm f/1.8 ZA Lens started by Jay View original post
    Comments 2 Comments
      josegabrielsanc -
      Beautiful picture Jay, sharp and smooth.
      Jay -
      Thanks bud