As lots of you Sony Nex Fans know, Electronic Lens Adapters are all the rage these days!! Especially if your coming from the CanoNikon crowd which approximately 75% of you are?? Totally guessing, see poll below so we can find out for sure 😉
Well, for those of you packing some modern Canon EF Glass, your in luck!!! Metabones has been working on the electronic lens adapters for the Sony Nex and other camera systems, for some time. They now have an adapter called the “Speedbooster”, and it’s pretty awesome from what I can tell!! Basically, it takes all the light from the full frame ef lens and focus’s it down to the crop factor sensor giving a Boost in light and therefore speed!!
Check out the Ebay listings for Metabones Adapters Here >>
F/1.0 Madness – Sony NEX With Metabones Speedbooster And Canon 50mm F1.4 Lens
Here’s a few of my favorites from the killer series:
Awesome Photography Sam, and thanks for sharing the link and your work with us all 🙂
Speed Booster Field Test Review
Courtesy of TheCameraStore, we have an excellent hands-on style review from Chris Niccolls. He puts the Metabones adapter through the paces with actual real world photography!!
The Metabones Speed Booster can turn your Sony NEX camera into a full frame mirrorless camera that takes Canon lenses! Chris Niccolls gives the Speed Booster a test drive to see if there are any drawbacks to using this amazing piece of technology.
Shot and Edited by Jordan Drake
Filmed on the Sony FS700
Techart is another company that makes an electronic lens adapter for Canon EF lenses, and has Full AF support, aperture control, and Image Stabilization works!! It can be found on Ebay for ~$250 US (Click Here)
MXCamera TechArt Canon EF-EF-s to NEX Adapter
These Techart adapters are available on Ebay Here >>
Perhaps we will have another affordable alternative soon!! Rumor courtesy of SonylphaRumors:
Big news guys! The Chinese company Zhongyi Optical officially announced the “Lens Turbo” adapter. It’s the cheap alternative of the famous Speed Booster. The Zhongyi Optical company isn’t an unknown company for NEX owners. The company is the maker of the Mitakon 35mm f/0.95 E-mount lens (Here on eBay). On the picture on top you can see the Pentax to NEX adapter.
How did they avoid to get into a legal dispute with Metabones? The optical design differs and the Lens Turbo has a reduction ration of 0.726 (Speed Booster is 0.71).
It’s a manual adapter only while some Speed Booster adapters also support full electronic AF and Aperture control. The Lens Turbo price is set at RMB$850, which is roughly US$110.
Contax G to Nex Electronic Lens Adapter
Courtesy of DeoTech we have the new Contax G to NEX electronic lens adapter. Not sure when the adapter is actually going to ship as their website appears to be down at the moment 😉
Actual Contax G Lenses Being Tested Live!!
Here are a few more Youtube videos showing off the Contax G lenses on the Sony NEX Camera System Auto focusing Live!!
Here’s a few of the most popular Contax G Lenses:
- Hologon 16mm f/8 lens
- Biogon T* 21 mm f/2.8 lens
- Biogon T* 28 mm f/2.8 lens
- Planar T* 35 mm f/2.0 lens
- Planar T* 45 mm f/2.0 lens
- Sonnar T* 90 mm; f/2.8 lens
- Vario-Sonnar T* 35 – 70 mm; f/3,5-5.6 lens
Contax G Lens Listings on Ebay >> (Click Here)
What about Nikon Lenses??
As far as I know, no electronic lens adapters with working auto focus are available for the newer Nikon lenses at this time. Please let me know or comment below if you know different!!
What about Full Manual Lenses??
Check out this article and lens adapter guide for the best old school lens combos, and necessary adapters to go along with them.
Tons of Killer Lens Listings on Ebay!!
Check out the latest Killer lens auctions on Ebay and find out just how cheap some of these older, yet awesome lenses are!! So far I’ve tested the Minolta MC Rokkor – PF 50mm f/1.4 Lens (Click Here for article >>), and the Minolta MD 50mm f/2 Lens (Click Here for Article >>). I also have the Minolta 50mm f/1.4 Lens, but have not had a chance to play with it to much yet.
- Minolta MD Lens Auctions on Ebay >>
- Minolta MC Lens Auctions on Ebay >>
- Contax G Lenses on Ebay >>
- Pentax FA Lenses on Ebay >>
- Voigtlander Lens Auctions on Ebay >>
- Leica Summarit M Lens Auctions on Ebay >>
- Zeiss ZM Lens Auctions on Ebay >>
- Canon FD Lens Auctions on Ebay >>
- Nikon Nikkor Lenses on Ebay >>
- Olympus OM Lenses on Ebay >>
That is about it for now, but please stay tuned and as some new gear will be on the way soon, the new “Lab” is almost painted, and the Rokinon Lens Reviews will be coming soon!! Thanks again for your support, and feel free to ask questions of comment below.
Your support is greatly appreciated as we run this site in our spare time and are not paid. We can however, make a small commission if you click a product link that your interested in. That click will then give us credit if you choose to purchase any given item. This has no effect on the cost of the product, and is a simple way to give back to SonyAlphaLab.com for the effort and info we provide.
Support SonyAlphaLab by becoming a | Patreon
Direct Shopping Links – Thanks for your Support!!
- New Sony Nex Lens Adapter for Canon EF with Electronic Aperture Control and IS Support!!
- The Month of June Product Photography – Sony Nex-5n, LA-EA2, Sony 35mm DT Lens, Sony 50mm f/1.8 OSS Lens, and the Sigma 19mm and 30mm f/2.8 EX DN Lenses
- A Closer Look at the Goods on the Turntable in HD Video!! Sony Nex-F3, ECM-SST1, OLED Viewfinder, and Yasuhara 5:1 Macro Lens!!
- Sony Nex-5n AF Testing with LA-EA2 and A-Mount lens vs Native E-Mount Lenses
- New Sony Gear on the Way to the Lab!!
- The New Sony Gear is Here!! Quick Intro HD Video showing off the Gear and More!!
- Sony Rebates, Sigma Rebates, A pretty cool cable finder tool, and the Sigma 10-20mm on the Nex-5n!!