In this article I put together all the ISO testing shots I took in the Lab yesterday with the Sony A7 vs Sony Nex-6, ranging from ISO 100-25600! 100% Crops will be included so you can see all the details in jpeg quality straight off the camera other than standard resizing for web. I left everything on Auto so you can see how each camera handles the WB, average metering, and noise reduction. Raw files will be in another post, but I can assure you the results are very similar to the jpegs, minus the noise reduction of course 😉
I used the same lab scene as the other post and went for f/5.6 on the A7 to make sure enough of the scene was in focus to show off the detail in critical areas like the shadows and highlights, only forgot to do this on my Nex-6 🙁 Not really that big a deal, but worth noting.
Sony A7 VS Nex-6 – ISO Testing
I shot in both raw and jpeg, but as I told you before I need to update my lightroom and will do all the raw files later once I update it. So, these images are all jpeg quality, but it’s great to see how the camera processes the same photos differently.
Here is the full lab scene @5.6 ISO 100 shot with the full frame A7 for a reminder:
|Sony Alpha A7||Sony Nex-6|
|Sony Alpha A7 @ f/5.6
||Sony Nex-6 @ f/3.5 and f/4
After looking at these photos closely at 100% crops I realized I did not have the apertures set the same on each camera for the ISO testing. Does this really matter? It shouldn’t really matter, but the detail captured will be slightly different due to depth of field. It’s pretty close as is though in the lab. I was surprised that on ISO 25600, both cameras did a good job with the details, but a color shift is much more noticeable on the Nex-6. Overall pretty impressive results from the A7 if you ask me!
Note the yellow color shift on the Nex-6 once it gets to ISO 6400 and up mostly. Remember I was using auto WB and average metering for these test shots to see how the cameras would perform in the real world. I will calibrate and re-do this test though I think with some better lighting. Please let me know what you think and I’ll catch up with you later 😉
New Full Frame Sony A7 and A7r Gear Links:
- All the New Sony Camera Gear @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony A7r (body Only) $2298 @ BHPhoto | Amazon | Ebay
- In Stock – Sony A7 (Body Only) – $1,698 BHPhoto | Amazon | Ebay
- In Stock – Sony A7 w/ 28-70mm lens – $1,998 @ BHPhoto | Amazon | Ebay
- Sony FE 24-70mm F4 ZA OSS Lens – $1,198 @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony FE 35mm F2.8 ZA Lens – $798 @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony FE 55mm F1.8 ZA Lens – $998 @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony A7 and A7r Vertical Battery Grip – $298 @ BHPhoto | Amazon | Ebay
- Sony A-Mount to E-Mount Lens Adapter (LAEA3) $198 @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony A-Mount to E-Mount Lens Adapter with Translucent Mirror Technology (LAEA4) $348 @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Digital Camera $1,298 @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony W Series Battery Charger – $48 BHPhoto | Amazon |
Your support is greatly appreciated as we run this site in our spare time and are not paid. We can however, make a small commission if you click a product link that your interested in. That click will then give us credit if you choose to purchase any given item. This has no effect on the cost of the product, and is a simple way to give back to SonyAlphaLab.com for the effort and info we provide.
Tip Jar: https://www.paypal.me/SonyAlphaLab
Support SonyAlphaLab by becoming a | Patreon
Direct Shopping Links – Thanks for your Support!!