I wanted to compare up close the new Sony A7 with my Sony Nex-6 and in this article I will do just that with photos and a highly detailed HD video. In the video I go hands-on with both the full frame Sony A7 and Aps-c Nex-6, covering all the angles and pointing out a lot of the differences between the two cameras. Besides the obvious sensor size differences, we have buttons and controls, drastic build quality and design differences, size and weight, plus completely different menu systems. The video is pretty detailed so be sure and check it out 😉
The Full Frame A7 is significantly larger than the APS-C Nex-6 and weighs a bit more as well. Is it worth the size and weight? I say yes, but you can judges for yourself as you look at all the test results, sample photos, etc..
Sony A7 VS Nex-6 – Size
Courtesy of Camerasize.com, were able to compare cameras very easily with scale and size reference measurements everywhere. Pretty awesome to say the least and I highly recommend checking it out if you want to compare camera sizes in particular.
Click the Photos for the full size, real scale versions. ~800 – 1000px.
- Sony A7 is 6% (7 mm) wider and 41% (27.5 mm) taller than Sony NEX-6.
- Sony A7 is 13% (5.6 mm) thicker than Sony NEX-6.
- Sony A7 [474 g] weights 37% (129 grams) more than Sony NEX-6 [345 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).
- Sony A7 dimensions: 126.9×94.4×48.2 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)
Sony NEX-6 dimensions: 119.9×66.9×42.6 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)
– See more at: http://camerasize.com/compare/#487,375
Sony A7 VS Nex-6 – Weight (Body Only)
14.67 oz / 416 g VS 10.1 oz / 286 g – Body Only
Sony A7 VS Nex-6 – Price
$1698 US VS $598 US – Body Only
$1998 US VS $748 US – w/ kit lenses
Sony A7 and Nex 6 Compared – HD Video
Select the hd quality once the video starts playing then go full screen for the best viewing experience 😉
That is about it for now everybody, but I’m working on a new “LAB” scene downstairs to test and compare the Sony A7 vs Sony Nex-6 head to head. Hopefully using the Lab scene will help illustrate the advantage of the full frame over the crop factor pretty clearly. The High ISO comparison should be night and day and the very least 😉
In any event, I need to eat breakfast and get to work on the Lab scene. Layla is going to help me, so it’s possible some Lego might get involved in the process and/or incorporated into the lab scene. Studio photography and Lighting with the A7 is also coming!
As always, please feel free to comment and ask questions if you have them and thank you very much for your support with the affiliate links!
New Full Frame Sony A7 and A7r Gear Links:
- All the New Sony Camera Gear @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony A7r (body Only) $2298 @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- In Stock – Sony A7 (Body Only) – $1,698 BHPhoto | Amazon
- In Stock – Sony A7 w/ 28-70mm lens – $1,998 @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony FE 24-70mm F4 ZA OSS Lens – $1,198 @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony FE 35mm F2.8 ZA Lens – $798 @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony FE 55mm F1.8 ZA Lens – $998 @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony A7 and A7r Vertical Battery Grip – $298 @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony A-Mount to E-Mount Lens Adapter (LAEA3) $198 @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony A-Mount to E-Mount Lens Adapter with Translucent Mirror Technology (LAEA4) $348 @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Digital Camera $1,298 @ BHPhoto | Amazon
- Sony W Series Battery Charger – $48 BHPhoto | Amazon
Your support is greatly appreciated as we run this site in our spare time and are not paid. We can however, make a small commission if you click a product link that your interested in. That click will then give us credit if you choose to purchase any given item. This has no effect on the cost of the product, and is a simple way to give back to SonyAlphaLab.com for the effort and info we provide.
Support SonyAlphaLab by becoming a | Patreon
Direct Shopping Links – Thanks for your Support!!