Sony offers several lenses for the Nex camera system, and in this Sony lens review I’m going to cover the Sony 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Autofocus Lens using both the Nex-C3 and Nex-5N. The Sony 18-55mm E-Mount Lens comes as an optional kit lens with all the Nex Cameras. The Sony SEL1855 is has 11 total elements in 9 groups with 4 aspherical surfaces so you get clear images without aberrations or distortion. This lens also has an internal motor which creates smooth and quiet autofocusing. The 35mm equivalent for this lens is 27mm – 82.5mm, which provides a very nice range!
I have over 1000 shots with this lens easily between the two of them and overall I am very satisfied with the results and performance!
- Aperture (Max.) : f/3.5 – 5.6
- Aperture (Min.) : f/22 – 32
- Filter Diameter : 49mm
- Lens Groups-Elements : 9 groups, 11 elements (4 aspheric surfaces)
- Minimum Focus Distance : 9.8″ (0.25m)
- Aspheric Elements : 4 aspheric surfaces
- Non-rotating Focusing Ring : No rotation
- AF for Movie Capture : Yes
- Angle of View : 76° – 29°
- Aperture Blade : 7 blades (Circular aperture)
- Dimensions (Max. Diameter x Length) : 2-7/16 x 2-3/8″ (62x60mm)
- Direct Manual Focus : Yes
- Exterior Finish : Metal
- Focal Length (35mm equivalent) : 27mm-82.5mm
- Focus Ring in AF Mode : No rotation
- Internal Motor : Yes (Stepping motor)
- Lens Weight : 6.9 oz (194g)
- Low Noise During Movie Capture : Excellent
- Maximum Magnification : 0.3x (APS-C)
- Mount Material : Metal
The E-Mount SEL 1855 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens for Alpha NEX Cameras from Sony is designed for use on Alpha NEX digital cameras. This standard zoom lens has a 35mm format equivalent to a 27-82.5mm lens. Covering angles of view from 76 to 29 degrees, this wide to medium zoom lens is ideal for a variety of subjects including portraits and landscapes. Plus, with a short focusing distance of only 9.7″ (0.25 m), you can get in tight for interesting close-ups.
The Sony SEL 1855 is built with 11 elements in 9 groups with 4 aspherical surfaces so you get clear images without aberrations or distortion. Its internal motor allows for smooth and quiet autofocusing, which you will love even while you are capturing images in the camera’s HD movie mode.
The compact size (only 2.4″, 6.0cm) of the lens and light weight (6.9 oz, 194g) perfectly complement Sony’s Alpha NEX cameras which incorporate a huge image sensor into a very compact frame. The results are high-quality still and HD movie captures without the extra size and weight of standard DSLR cameras.
- Designed to match your Alpha NEX camera, the SEL 1855 standard zoom lens is lightweight and features smooth and silent autofocusing while offering an all-purpose focal range for beautiful shots.
- In the 35mm equivalent, this lens covers subjects from wide-angle (27mm) to midrange (82.5mm); ideal for capturing subjects such as close-up portraits to expansive landscapes
Lets start off with some High res images of the Sony 18-55 f/3.5-5-6 Lens shall we.
Here it is on the Nex-C3:
As you can see this lens is pretty large in comparison to the 16mm Pancake and the Nex Camera’s themselves. Once you mount this lens the Nex camera of choice is no longer compactness of the is pretty much gone out the window. So, in that regard this lens may not be what your looking for. However, there are not that many lenses available for the E-mount Nex Cameras yet, so this lens is pretty appealing to the Nex community as a whole. Including myself!