A lot going on these days at the Lab as I have the A57 and the 24-70 f/2.8 Carl Zeiss lens sitting here just waiting to be photographed. I also have the Nex-7 most of the way apart in the Lab, but it needs more dissecting still 😉 I unfortunately got into an car accident at my real job today and I’m a bit sore in the neck area, but I’ll try to get the product shots done on the A57 asap so I can actually take some sample pics with this killer combo. I’ve been very eager to try the 24-70mm Carl Zeiss lens, and you know the A57 is going to be awesome as the Sony’s never seem to disappoint in the image quality department!! The Sony Boxes look really nice just to let you know 🙂
In Stock News
A37 and Nex-F3 update
Courtesy of SonyAlphaRumors the New A37 and Nex-F3 will have the same New and Improved 16mp Sensor!!
Blackmagic Cinema Camera from Blackmagic
Check out this Hands on First Look of the camera from Blackmagic that just became available on the Market for Pre-Order! Looks pretty amazing from the specs and will probably be an Indy Films Makers dream!!
Blackmagic Cinema Camera
Elegant, sophisticated and jam packed with the latest digital cinema technology, Blackmagic Cinema Camera gives your work that timeless feature film look! Blackmagic Cinema Camera features an amazing 2.5K image sensor with a wide 13 stops of dynamic range for a true digital film camera. You get a built-in SSD recorder, popular open standard uncompressed RAW and compressed file formats, compatibility with quality EF and ZE mount lenses, LCD touchscreen monitoring plus metadata entry, all packed into an exciting hand held design!
Blackmagic Cinema Camera features a high resolution sensor with wide dynamic range so it’s perfect for independent film, television commercials and episodic television production. DaVinci Resolve software for Mac and Windows is included so you can work at the highest quality and get the best results. Blackmagic Cinema Camera is both affordable and a complete solution because it includes a built-in recorder and monitoring, so it’s perfect for displacing video-only cameras for work such as sporting events, weddings, music videos and more!
- 2.5K Image Sensor
- 12-bit RAW, ProRes and DNxHD Formats
- 13 Stops of Dynamic Range
- 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30p Frame Rates
- EF and ZE Lens Mount
- LCD Touchscreen with Metadata Entry
- SDI Video Output and Thunderbolt Port
- Mic/Line Audio Inputs
- Records to Removable SSD Drives
- Includes DaVinci Resolve and UltraScope
- 13 Stop Dynamic Range: Regular video cameras clip video so you are locked into images that look cheap. Blackmagic Cinema Camera eliminates this problem as it captures a super wide dynamic range of 13 stops into 12-bit DNG files, so your images look truly cinematic.
- Detail Preservation: This preserves detail in both shadows and highlights, and even handles indoor shots while keeping the details of any images captured through windows. This means you keep all sensor data so you can make creative decisions during DaVinciResolve color grading.
- Premium Quality: Building one of the finest cameras in the world requires attention to every detail. Blackmagic Cinema Camera’s premium quality design features a machined aluminum chassis, interchangeable optics, high resolution 2.5K sensor, 13 stops of dynamic range and 12-bit AW uncompressed and compressed file formats.
- EF Compatible Lens Mount: With Blackmagic Cinema Camera you can use the most amazing optics from the world’s leading lens crafters such as Canon, Zeiss and many more. Blackmagic Cinema Camera is compatible with EF and ZE mount lenses, so you can use the lenses you already own!
- Versatile Lens Options: With Blackmagic Cinema Camera you are not locked into any specific lens and you can choose the lens you need based on the creative style of your shot! Blackmagic Cinema Camera allows full electronic control of your lens, so you cansimply point, set iris and focus on command.
- Metadata Entry: Blackmagic Cinema Camera is the first camera to feature built-in metadata entry so your files include information compatible with popular editing software. This dramatically speeds up the whole post production process! Entering metadata is easy.
- LCD Touchscreen: Simply tap the capacitive LCD touchscreen to display the slate where you can enter information such as shot number, search tags, scene number, timecode and more! You can even set shot number and other data to increment automatically!
- Built-in SSD Recorder: Blackmagic Cinema Camera features a built-in SSD recorder that allows 2.5K uncompressed CinemaDNG RAW 12-bit capture as well as Apple ProRes and Avid DNxHDcompressed video formats.
- Open Standard: All file formats are open standard and used by NLE software so you get the only camera designed from the ground up to be part of a whole post production workflow! When you’ve finished shooting, simply connect the SSD to your computerand edit or color your shots straight from the disk!
- Premium Quality Design: A stylish machined aluminum design, capped with a smooth rubber front and rear for easy grip, plus a rear facing touchscreen for easy metadata entry.
- Standard Connections: With standard connections there’s no need for custom cables! You get ¼? jack audio inputs, 3 Gb/s SDI output and a Thunderbolt port for computer capture!
- Includes DaVinci Resolve: DaVinci Resolve 9.0 software lets you take advantage of Blackmagic Cinema Camera’s wide dynamic range images that are perfect for color correction!
- Includes UltraScope: UltraScope gives you technically accurate scopes on any computer connected by Thunderbolt. Get Parade, Waveform, Vectorscope, Histogram and more!
|Sensor Resolution||2592 x 2192|
|Raw Resolution||12-bit RAW files recorded at 2432 x 1366|
|Shooting Resolutions||2.5K RAW at 2432 x 1366.
ProRes and DNxHD at 1920 x 1080
|Frame Rates||23.98p, 24p, 25p, 29.97p, 30p|
|Sensor Size||16.64 mm x 14.04 mm|
|Sensor Size – Active||15.6 mm x 8.8 mm|
|Dynamic Range||13 stops|
|Focus||Focus button turns on peaking|
|Iris Control||Iris button automatically adjusts the lens iris settings so no pixel is clipped|
|Lens Mount||EF and ZE mount compatible with electronic iris control|
|Screen Dimensions||5″ and 800 x 480 resolution|
|Screen Type||Integrated LCD capacitive touchscreen|
|Metadata Support||Automatic camera data and user data such as shot number, filenames and keywords|
|Controls||Onscreen touch menus and physical buttons for recording and transport control|
|Microphone||Integrated mono microphone|
|Speaker||Integrated mono speaker|
|Mounting Options||3 x 1/4″ thread mounting points on top of camera.
1 x 1/4″ thread tripod mount with locator pin.
|Power||Integrated Lithium-ion Polymer rechargeable battery.
12V-30V DC port for external battery power or use included 12V AC adapter.
|Battery Life||Approximately 90 minutes|
|Battery Charge Time||Approximately 2 hours when not in use.|
|Software||DaVinci Resolve grading software including Resolve USB dongle for Mac OS X and Windows.
Media Express software for video capture from the camera’s Thunderbolt port.
Blackmagic UltraScope software for waveform monitoring from the camera’s Thunderbolt port.
|Storage Type||Removable 2.5 SSD|
|Storage Format||Mac OS Extended format. SSDs can be formatted on any Mac or use Mediafour MacDrive (not included) on a Windows PC.|
|Compressed Recording Formats||Apple ProRes and Avid DNxHD. All compressed recording in 1920×1080 10-bit YUV with choice of Film or Video Dynamic Range.|
|Uncompressed Recording Formats||RAW 2.5K CinemaDNG|
|Storage Rates||5 MB/frame in RAW 2.5K fits about 30 minutes of 24p video on a 256 GB solid state disk. Compressed HD formats fit more than 5 times the amount of RAW video.|
|SDI Compliance||SMPTE 292M.|
|SDI Audio Sampling||48 kHz and 24 bit.|
|Power||12V-30V DC port for external battery power or use included 12V AC adapter.|
|Dimensions||6.5 x 4.5 x 5″ / 166 x 114 x 126mm – excluding detachable sunshade and turret dust cap|
|Weight||3.75 lb / 1.7 kg|
I’ll catch up with you all tomorrow and hopefully I will have some A57 and 24-70mm photos to share with you if all goes well and can move tomorrow when I wake up!!
Also, if you have a few minutes to spare, I’ve been working my tale off in the background building accessory guides for pretty much everything photography related. I’m by no means done with any of the guides, but I do have a decent start on several of them. Check them out below if you like and any feedback would be appreciated good or bad if you have the time.
Have a great evening and thanks again for checking out SonyAlphaLab.com!!
Your support is greatly appreciated as we run this site in our spare time and are not paid. We can however, make a small commission if you click a product link that your interested in. That click will then give us credit if you choose to purchase any given item. This has no effect on the cost of the product, and is a simple way to give back to SonyAlphaLab.com for the effort and info we provide.
Support SonyAlphaLab by becoming a | Patreon
Direct Shopping Links – Thanks for your Support!!