This is great news, because we really need affordable full frame lenses, and the 50mm f/1.8 is a must have! It should also please a lot of people that just want a good lens and not necessarily the best money can buy like Zeiss for example.. Also, with no super zooms available other than the all-in-one and fairly affordable FE 24-240mm lens, which I reviewed here, the 70-300mm will fill a gap for those wanting that full frame reach for birds and sports. The New FE 70-300mm is a G lens, so it is fairly expensive at ~$1198, but the quality should be excellent!
The New FE 50mm f/1.8 lens goes for a very affordable $248 US, which I think we can all appreciate 🙂 Thanks Sony! It really should have been available from day one, but we know the deal…
Sony FE 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G OSS Lens
- E-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
- Aperture Range: f/4.5 to f/29
- Four Aspherical and Two ED Elements
- Nano AR Coating
- Linear Autofocus Motor
- Internal Focus Design; MF Override
- Focus Hold Button and Range Limiter
- Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization
- Dust- & Moisture-Resistant Construction
- Rounded Nine-Blade Diaphragm
- Weight = 1.88 lb (854 g)
- Price = ~$1198
A nice set of manual switches which I prefer over the menu driven alternatives.
Breakdown courtesy of BHPhoto:
Spanning a useful range of telephoto focal lengths, the FE 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G OSS from Sony is a versatile zoom lens designed for full-frame E-mount mirrorless cameras. Complementing the reach, this lens’ optical design incorporates four aspherical elements and two extra-low dispersion glass elements to control spherical and chromatic aberrations throughout the zoom range for increased clarity, sharpness, and color accuracy. A Nano AR coating has also been applied to individual lens elements to minimize lens flare and ghosting for increased contrast and color fidelity when working in strong lighting conditions. Well-suited to a variety of telephoto needs, this zoom lens balances both a versatile focal length range along with a sophisticated optical design for maintained image quality.
Working in concert with the optical assets, this lens also incorporates an Optical SteadyShot image stabilization mechanism that minimizes the appearance of camera shake for sharper handheld shooting. Also benefitting sharpness is a linear actuator autofocus system, which offers smooth, quiet focusing performance to support both stills and movie recording applications. An internal focusing mechanism is also employed, which limits the overall length of the lens when focusing and both a focus range limiter and focus hold button facilitate more intuitive handling. Additionally, the lens is designed to be dust- and moisture resistant for use in trying conditions.
- Telephoto zoom 70-300mm lens is designed for full-frame Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras, however, it can also be used with APS-C models where it provides a 105-450mm equivalent focal length range.
- Four aspherical elements pair with two extra-low dispersion elements to minimize both spherical and chromatic aberrations throughout the zoom range for sharper, clearer imagery.
- A Nano AR Coating has been applied to reduce surface reflections, flare, and ghosting for increased contrast and more accurate color rendering.
- Optical SteadyShot image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake for sharper imagery when shooting handheld with slower shutter speeds.
- A linear actuator offers fast, precise, smooth, and silent autofocus performance that is ideal for video applications as well as stills shooting.
- An internal focusing design helps to quicken focusing speeds as well as maintain the overall length of the lens when focusing for more intuitive handling.
- A dedicated AF/MF switch lets you quickly switch between auto and manual focusing methods.
- Focus range limiter lets you constrain the usable focusing range to either 9.8′ to infinity or the full range of 3′ to infinity.
- Focus hold button can be used to stop the autofocus system when more control over focusing on a particular subject is desired.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality.
- Dust- and moisture-resistant construction benefits working in harsh environments.
Sony FE 50mm f/1.8 Lens
The New FE 50mm f/1.8 Lens is super affordable at only $248 US, and for Sony that is crazy cheap! This lens will be awesome for portrait photography, street photography, and much more depending on your needs and skills. I would recommend this lens as a #1 prime choice for any A7-Series Full Frame E-Mount camera users, if it holds up as sharp. I really think this lens will be the best bang for the buck full frame e-mount prime available, but time will tell….
- E-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
- Aperture Range: f/1.8 to f/22
- One Aspherical Element
- Double-Gauss Optical Design
- DC Autofocus Motor
- Rounded Seven-Blade Diaphragm
- Weight = 6.56 oz (186 g)
- Price = $248 US
Breakdown courtesy of BHPhoto:
A simple, bright, and lightweight normal prime, the FE 50mm f/1.8 from Sony is a versatile normal-length prime lens designed for full-frame E-mount mirrorless cameras. Its sleek design makes it well-suited for everyday shooting, while the fast f/1.8 maximum aperture benefits working in low-light conditions as well as offers increased control over depth of field for selective focus imagery. The optical design incorporates one aspherical element to control spherical aberrations, an employs a double-gauss configuration in order to realize sharper, clearer image quality throughout the aperture range with reduced field curvature. A DC actuator is also employed to provide quick and precise autofocus performance that is also quiet to suit video recording applications. Additionally, a rounded seven-blade diaphragm is featured to render out-of-focus highlights with a smooth, circular appearance. Characterized by its straight-forward design, this go-to lens balances both ease of handling along with enhanced image quality.
- Normal-length 50mm prime lens is designed for full-frame Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras, however, can also be used with APS-C models where it will provide a 75mm equivalent focal length.
- Fast f/1.8 maximum aperture benefits working in difficult lighting conditions and also avails greater control over focus placement for working with shallow depth of field techniques.
- One aspherical element minimizes spherical aberrations for improved clarity and sharpness.
- Double-gauss optical configuration helps to reduce field curvature and distortions for more consistent image quality from edge-to-edge.
- DC actuator offers quick, quiet, and accurate autofocus performance to suit both stills and video applications.
- Metal bayonet offers increased durability and a solid feel when mounting the lens.
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality.
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to comment below and ask questions as always,
Your support is greatly appreciated as we run this site in our spare time and are not paid. We can however, make a small commission if you click a product link that your interested in. That click will then give us credit if you choose to purchase any given item. This has no effect on the cost of the product, and is a simple way to give back to SonyAlphaLab.com for the effort and info we provide.
Support SonyAlphaLab by becoming a | Patreon
Direct Shopping Links – Thanks for your Support!!