Sony just introduced a new High Zoom Ultra Compact Cyber-shot camera called the HX50v!! The DSC-HX50V/B appears to have the same exact 20.4MP 1/2.3″ Exmor R® CMOS sensor, as the DSC-HX300 I just reviewed Here >>. Based on that review, it’s pretty clear that this camera will have solid image quality even though the sensor pixel density is pretty extreme and more than I think is necessary in the real world. The ~20MP images do allow for significant cropping options in post production which can often be helpful though and is worth noting.
The HX50V is packing a 30x zoom lens from the Sony G series which works out to an effective 24-720mm zoom range in the 35mm format that we are all used to. also featuring 3-way image stabilization, the HX50v should produce sharp shots hand-held at 30x in my opinion.
Overview courtesy of BHPhoto:
|The Cyber-shot HX50V Digital Camera from Sony is a compact camera with a 20.4MP BSI Exmor R CMOS Sensor and a powerful 30x optical zoom lens. In combination with the BIONZ image processor, the 20.4MP CMOS sensor provides sharp imaging and fast autofocus speeds. The Sony G 30x optical zoom lens has a 35mm format focal length equivalency of 24-720mm which means its powerful zoom covers a full range of shooting situations from true wide angle to ultra-telephoto. In addition, the BIONZ image processor creates Clear Image Digital Zoom which allows you to double the optical zoom range for extreme close-ups and distant image capture.|
The HX50V also supports Full HD 1080p video capture in the AVCHD format. This is high grade video resolution that allows smooth recording of moving subjects and, combined with the long zoom lens, is a potent movie maker in such a compact body. Smaller video resolutions are also provided in M4 format for easier playback on computers and portable devices. In both still and video modes, the HX50V provides optical image stabilization. Optical SteadyShot image stabilization reduces shake and blur by countering camera movements in both horizontal and vertical directions when shooting photo and Active 3-way stabilization adds digital rolling control to counter clockwise and anti-clockwise rotation, resulting in more stable videos even at long focal lengths.
Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity allows you to instantly transfer images from your camera to your computer, smartphone or tablet. With the free Sony PlayMemories App you can also use your smartphone as a remote control and viewer and directly send images to social media sites.
The high-performance capabilities of the HX50V include fast continuous shooting of up to 10 fps in full resolution, full manual exposure with P/A/S/M modes and a dedicated exposure compensation dial. The camera also features a multi-interface hot shoe for attaching accessories such as an external flash or electronic viewfinder. Of course, the HX50V is also very manageable as a point-and-shoot, with Intelligent Auto to make picture taking easy and other assistive modes such as Background Defocus, Face Detection and Scene Modes such as Gourmet, to automatically adjust the camera’s settings for a particular kind of subject. A pop-up flash is built-in and several Picture Effects let you add creative touches to your images.
Sony Cyber-shot HX50V
Sony DSC-HX50V/B Features
Take hold of the textured grip and capture your next adventure with ultra-sharp precision. The DSC-HX50V/B compact, 20.4MP Cyber-shot® camera features an impressive 30x optical zoom that makes actions shots appear clearer thanks to advanced 3-way image stabilization. You also get full manual control for more creative shots and 1080/60p movie recording for smoother footage. You can even map your memories with built-in GPS tagging and accessorize with a wide variety of available extras.
30x optical zoom plus 60x Clear Image Digital Zoom
Get super close with 30x optical zoom plus 60x Clear Image digital zoom. Most digital zooms use electronic cropping to get closer to the subject, resulting in unsharp images. With Clear Image Zoom the powerful processor compares patterns found in adjacent pixels and creates new pixels to match selected patterns, resulting in more realistic, higher-quality images. Clear Image Zoom doubles optical zoom for closer photos.
Full HD 1080/60p
Record crystal clear movies at the highest resolution available with capabilities for 60p in 1080 AVCHD™ video.¹ This provides stunning, fast motion video with less distortion for playback on your HD TV.2 With dual record of stills and movies, you can shoot both at the same time.
Multi interface shoe attaches flash, light, and mic
The multi interface shoe allows easy connection with wide-ranging accessories expanding the range of photographic expression. Available accessories include a powerful external flash unit, electronic viewfinder etc.
20.4 Megapixel Back-illuminated Exmor® R CMOS Image Sensor
This camera features a 20.4 megapixel Exmor® R CMOS image sensor that brings out the full resolving power of the camera’s Carl Zeiss® Vario-Sonnar T* lens to deliver extremely fast speed, high resolution, and stunning low-light sensitivity with improved image clarity and drastically reduced grain.
Capture the decisive moment with up to 10fps
Capture full 20.4 megapixel resolution images at up to 10 frames per second, helping to ensure that the decisive moment is captured such as the soccer ball flying into the goal. In addition, a mechanical shutter helps reduce distortion when continuously shooting moving subjects.
Optical SteadyShot® image stabilization
Optical SteadyShot® image stabilization reduces shake and blur by countering camera movements in both horizontal and vertical directions.³ Active 3-Way stabilization adds digital rolling control that counters clockwise and anti-clockwise rotation, resulting in more stable videos even at long focal lengths.
Full manual & dedicated EV control dial allow more creativity
For creative flexibility, users can enter Program Auto (P), Aperture Priority (A), Shutter Speed Priority (S) or Manual Exposure (M) mode for manual shooting and direct access exposure control via dedicated dial.
- Camera Type : High zoom
- Lens Type : Sony G
- Optical Zoom : 30x
- Focal Length (35mm equivalent) : Still 4:3: 24-720mm /Movie 4:3: 32.5-975mm(SteadyShot Standard) 32.5-1320(SteadyShot Active) / Still 16:9: 26-780mm / Movie 16:9: 26.5-795mm(SteadyShot Standard) 26.5-1080mm(SteadyShot Active)
- Lens Construction : 11 elements in 10 groups (including 5 aspheric elements)
- Minimum Focus Distance : iAuto: AF (W: Approx. 5cm (0.16 ft.) to Infinity, T: Approx. 200cm (6.56 ft.) to Infinity) / Program Auto: AF (W: Approx. 5cm (0.16 ft.) to Infinity, T: Approx. 200cm (6.56 ft.) to Infinity)
- Steady Shot Mode:Active : Yes
- Imaging Sensor : 1/2.3″ Exmor R® CMOS sensor
- Pixel Gross : 21.1 MP
- Effective Picture Resolution : 20.4 MP
- Color Filter System : RGB primary color filters
- LCD Type : 3.0″ Xtra Fine™ LCD (921K dots)
- Brightness Control : 5(Bright) / 4 / 3 / 2 / 1(Dark)
- Histogram : Yes(On/Off)
- Grid Display : Yes
- Self-timer : Off / 10sec. / 2sec. / portrait1 / portrait2
- Shutter Speeds : iAuto (4 – 1/4000) / Program Auto (1 – 1/4000) / Aperture Priority (8 – 1/2000) / Shutter Priority (30 – 1/4000) / Manual (30 – 1/4000)
- Burst Mode : Approx 10 fps at 20.4MP (Maximum 10 shots)
- Media Type : Optional “Memory Stick Duo” (No movie recording), optional “Memory Stick PRO Duo” (Mark 2 only for movie recording), optional “Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo”, optional SD Memory Card (Class 4 or higher), optional SDHC Memory Card (Class 4 or higher)
- Color Space : RGB
- Still Image Max Effective Resolution : Approx. 20.4 Megapixels
- Still Image Size 16:9 : 16:9 mode: 15M (5,184 x 2,920) / 2M (1,920 x 1,080)
- Still Image Size 4:3 : 4:3 mode: 20M (5,184 x 3,888) / 10M (3,648 x 2,736) / 5M (2,592 x 1,944) / VGA
- Panorama Still Image Size : Sweep Panorama: 360 (11,520 x 1,080) / HR (10,480 x 4,096) / Wide (7,152 x 1,080/4,912 x 1,920) / Standard (4,912 x 1,080/3,424 x 1,920)
- Video Format : AVCHD Ver2.0/MP4
- Video Mode : AVCHD 60i/60p: 28M PS (1,920×1,080/60p) / 24M FX / 17M FH (1,920×1,080/60i) / 9M HQ (1,440×1,080/60i), MP4: 12M (1,440×1,080/30fps) / 6M (1,280×720/30fps) / 3M VGA (640×480/30fps)
- Dual Record : Yes
- Audio Format : AC3(Stereo)
- Microphone/Speaker : Stereo/mono
- Wind Noise Reduction : Off / On
- AF Modes : Multi Point AF/Center Weighted AF/SpotAF/Flexible Spot AF/Manual/Face Tracking Focus
- AF Illuminator : Auto / Off
- Flash Modes : Auto / Flash On / Slow Synchro / Rear Slow Synchro / Flash Off / Advanced Flash
- Flash Coverage : ISO Auto: Approx. 0.25m to 5.6m (0.82 ft. to 18.37 ft.) (W) / Approx. 2.0m to 3.0m (6.56 ft.. to 9.84 ft.) (T), ISO3200: up to Approx. 7.9m (25.91 ft.) (W) / Approx. 4.2m (13.78 ft.) (T)
- Memory Card Slot : MS Duo and SD/SDHC compatible
- HD Output : Micro HDMI
- USB Port(s) : Multi (AV/USB), Hi-Speed USB (USB2.0)
- Metering Modes : Multi Pattern / Center Weighted / Spot
- Exposure Compensation : Plus / Minus 2.0EV, 1 / 3EV step
- Scene Mode(s) : High Sensitivity / Soft snap / Soft Skin / Landscape / Night Portrait / Night Scene / Handheld Twilight / Gourmet / Beach / Snow / Fireworks / Pet mode /Anti-motion blur/Backlight Correction HDR / Advanced Sports Shooting
- ISO : Auto / 80 / 100 / 125 / 160 / 200 / 250 / 320 / 400 / 500 / 640 / 800 / 1000 / 1250 / 1600 / 2000 / 2500 / 3200 / 4000*4 / 5000*4 / 6400*4 / 8000*4 / 10000*4 / 12800*4
- White Balance Mode : Auto / Daylight / Cloudy / Fluorescent 1 (White Fluorescent Lighting) / Fluorescent 2 (Natural White Fluorescent Lighting) / Fluorescent 3 (Day White Fluorescent Lighting) / Incandescent / Flash / One Push, One Push Set / White Balance Shift
- Red-Eye Reduction : Auto / On / Off
- Erase/Protect : Erase: Single / Select / Date / Folder / AVCHD Protect: Single / Select / Date / Folder / AVCHD
- Power Save Mode : Standard / Max / Off
Weights and Measurements
- Dimensions (Approx.) : W x H x D: 4 3/8” x 2 5/8” x 1 9/16” (108.1 x 63.6 x 38.3mm)
- Weight (Approx.) : 9.6oz (272g)
- Weight(Approx) (Main unit only) : 8.6oz (246g)
- Anti Motion Blur : Yes
- Sweep Panorama : Intelligent Sweep Panorama (360)
- Face Detection : 8 faces
- Smile Shutter™ technology : Yes
- Image Stabilization : Optical SteadyShot™ Image Stabilization with 3-way Active mode
- In-Camera Editing : Retouch / Trimming / Red Eye Correction / Unsharp Masking/Still image capture from Movie / Date view / Slideshow with Music / 3D Viewing Mode / BRAVIA Sync / Picture Effect (Watercolor, Illustration)
- Intelligent Auto : Yes
- Background Defocus : Yes
- Superior Auto : Yes
- Tracking Focus : Off / Auto
- Blink Detection : Yes
- Picture Effects : HDR Painting / Richtone Monochrome / Miniature / Toy camera / Pop Color / Partial color / Soft High-key / Watercolor / Illustration
- Battery Type : LITHIUM ION NP-BX1 3.6V
- Battery Capacity : 4.5Wh (1240mAh)
- Power Consumption (in Operation) : Approx. 1.2W
- Power Requirements : AC 100V to 240V, 50/60 Hz, 70mA
That is it for now, but new gear should be on the way soon as well as the Rokinon Lens reviews I keep teasing you with. Sorry about that as I want to get them done asap, but the news is too good not to share. Plus I only have a few hours a day tops to do this stuff 😉 Catch up with you later, and please feel free to comment or ask questions below!
Your support is greatly appreciated as we run this site in our spare time and are not paid. We can however, make a small commission if you click a product link that your interested in. That click will then give us credit if you choose to purchase any given item. This has no effect on the cost of the product, and is a simple way to give back to SonyAlphaLab.com for the effort and info we provide.
Support SonyAlphaLab by becoming a | Patreon
Direct Shopping Links – Thanks for your Support!!