Thread: New Carbon Fiber BeFree Series Manfrotto Tri-pod - Now available!!

New Carbon Fiber BeFree Series Manfrotto Tri-pod - Now available!!

Manfrotto has recently announced a carbon fiber version of its awesome BeFree tripod! So lighter weight and higher cost is the result

Manfrotto BeFree Carbon Tri-pod from ~$349.88 @ BHPhoto | Amazon | Manfrotto.US
    Manfrotto BeFree Aluminum Tri-Pod from ~$199.88 @ BHPhoto | Amazon

Key Features:

• Load Capacity: 8.8 lb
    • Maximum Height: 56.7"
    • Min Height: 13.4"
    • Folded Length: 15.75"
    • Leg Sections: 4
    • Weight: 2.4 lb
    • Independent Leg Angle Selector
    • Quick Release Ball Head
    • QR Plate Included
    • Fitted Case

The Manfrotto BeFree Compact Travel Carbon Fiber Tripod is a sturdy, compact tripod that extends to 56.7", supports 8.8 lb, and folds up to only 15.75". The tripod's legs can be spread independently, with two-position leg angle stops. The legs fold up and around the ball head, a feature that helps makes this tripod so compact.
    The ball head offers a large ergonomic locking handle and a quick release with an included QR plate that has a 1/4"-20 mounting screw and a durable carrying case for storage and transport.

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

The weight and minimum folded length look good, just the maximum height (144cm) is a bit short for my liking.
    I am still happy with my Manfrotto 732CY (carbon fibre) tripod.
    Amateur and unskilled photographer with a very small collection of gears.

It doesn't seem to have the hook adapter to add weight for long exposures but looks really good. I added it to my wish list.

I like the way the top of the BeFree is designed, but the price is a bit much for me these days honestly. However, if I were to save and invest in a new Pro Quality Tri-pod, it would be the MT055CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber unit, because I want the cool horizontal column for macro shots and getting over the edge of things easier and so forth. The load capacity is almost 20lbs, so you can be certain no movement will be going on with even the large f/2.8 70-200mm lenses mounted.

MT055CXPRO4 from $499 @ BHPhoto | Amazon | Ebay

Key Features:

• Maximum Height: 67"
    • Supports 17.64 lb
    • Q90 Transverse Column System
    • Compact 3 Section Design
    • 4 Leg Angle Settings
    • Flip-lock Legs
    • Faceted Non-twist Center Column
    • Weighs 3.64 lb
    • Optional Ball, Pan/Tilt, Fluid Heads

The Manfrotto MT055CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod is a 4-section support that replaces the 055CXPRO4 tripod. It has a load capacity of 19.8 lb and extends from 3.5" to 66.9". Its carbon fiber legs are secured by the Quick Power Locks. These updated flip locks increase the tripod's rigidity by 50% compared to its predecessor.

A redesigned center column has a "one finger" operation, and includes an Easy Link 3/8"-16 attachment for attaching accessories such as an LED light or a reflector via a compatible arm. The center column can be positioned horizontally, allowing for low-angle and macro photography. The upper disc where a tripod head is mounted has been redesigned as well, and now has a bull's eye bubble level that rotates 360° so you can locate it where you can see it. This allows you to level your camera on both the horizontal and vertical planes.
    Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

I just don't like this tripod or any of the others for hiking, etc. Just to heavy. I looked at others, but they are even heavier, so this one gets the prize I suppose, if ya just gotta have a tripod. I pulled out a piece of very old equipment I bought 12 years ago, and I find it more satisfactory for hiking and walking. It is a old Slik Slim-Pod monopod which weighs in at rip roaring 10 oz. No case, but the wrist loop can be threaded through a belt loop and looped over the tilt head for security.

I think the problem all these "light weight" tripod manufacturers are facing is that, even in the CF versions, there are still a lot of aluminum parts. That is where the weight starts adding up. I would think that with all the modern high strength plastics we have that someone could get the weight of a tripod, with intergrated ballhead down to 1.5 lbs. ;-(

It actually looks damn gorgeous. My aluminum manfrotto weighs a ton and the head on it annoys the hell out of me. The technology in tripods have gotten much better since then ... hehe. I switch between my 15$ Walmart tripod and my aluminum one depending on how I'm prepared. Definitely looking to replace the aluminum anchor though.
    (Insert list of camera gear that lets others know how much money you have here.)

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-52-Inch-Carbon-Travel-Tripod/dp/B00DHPCSA0/ref=sr_1_6?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1419271867&sr=1-6&keywords=amazon+basic
    Amazon basic 52" carbon fiber tripod, 2.4 lbs with head for $79.49
    Looks to be same as MePhoto travel tripods at fraction of the price.

That is nice Obelix! I also like the Manfrotto Pixi Mini Table, but I have never used it myself. It's good for up to 2.2lbs, weighs 6.7oz, and only costs $24 @ BHPhoto

Jay

I personally want. 3LT but mostly because they're up to a reputable standard... and have a hillarious name. I purchase things for odd reasons sometimes. other note-- it's good for 2.2lbs but I don't mind overloading my tripods' weight limit...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    (Insert list of camera gear that lets others know how much money you have here.)

Quote Originally Posted by Panza View Post
    I personally want. 3LT but mostly because they're up to a reputable standard... and have a hillarious name. I purchase things for odd reasons sometimes. other note-- it's good for 2.2lbs but I don't mind overloading my tripods' weight limit...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I do enjoy the name "Three Legged Thing" for sure Which unit are you looking at in particular?

I have the heavy Manfrotto Aluminum legs and they are only heavy when carrying for a while. The original Manfrotto head was a brick, but the Gitzo I have now is much lighter weight. Way to heavy for hiking, but rock solid when needed.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I do enjoy the name "Three Legged Thing" for sure Which unit are you looking at in particular?

I have the heavy Manfrotto Aluminum legs and they are only heavy when carrying for a while. The original Manfrotto head was a brick, but the Gitzo I have now is much lighter weight. Way to heavy for hiking, but rock solid when needed.

Jay
    The Keith for it's light weight and small size... it fits inside of a bag easily : )! (Totally not because it's the cheapest of the bunch or anything.) Perhaps if I was a birdographer... I could imagine requiring an unstoppable tripod.

Thanks for the info Panza and that makes perfect sense! I like how they have names associated with them also...

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
    Amazon basic 52" carbon fiber tripod, 2.4 lbs with head for $79.49
    Looks to be same as MePhoto travel tripods at fraction of the price.
    I recently got myself a MeFOTO Roadtrip Carbon Fibre Travel Tripod Kit in Titanium colour (C1350Q1) and a bonus MeFOTO SideKick360 for holding smartphones.
    quick specs:
    maximum height: 1.56m (156.5cm); folded length: 0.39m (39cm); weight: 1.42kg; load: 8kg

This makes my second carbon fibre tripod. When you have "old bones" like me, any weight saving is highly appreciated.

I like it's portable design and a compact fitted carry bag.
    Amateur and unskilled photographer with a very small collection of gears.