Thread: First Curved Sensor Camera from Sony Coming Soon!

First Curved Sensor Camera from Sony Coming Soon!

Sony is gong to come out with a the first curved sensor camera and it will be called the KW1! Thanks to SonyAlphaRumors for the info

Here are the specs of the KW1.

- Sensor 1 / 2.3-inch Exmor RS. The number of pixels 19.2 million effective pixels
    - Comes with two conversion lenses: they will be 1-3.5x and 3-10x zoom
    - Optical image stabilization
    - ND filter built-in
    - Monitor 3 inches 1.23 million dots
    - The shutter speed -1/8000 seconds 2 seconds
    - Camera application corresponding
    - MicroSD / SDHC / SDXC
    - Wi-Fi, NFC
    - The size is 57.7mm x 125mm x 20.1mm
    - 120 g Weight (body only). (Including media and battery) 136 g
    The next Sony announcement appears to be scheduled for September 3! Stay tuned on SAR!
    Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony Nex-6, 18-55mm, 55-210mm OSS Lens, 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

The curved sensor is really a brilliant idea, in my opinion. It should be the next revolution once the technology is mature.
    However, this probably means lens correction profiles have to be re-written.

Quote Originally Posted by antony View Post
    The curved sensor is really a brilliant idea, in my opinion. It should be the next revolution once the technology is mature.
    However, this probably means lens correction profiles have to be re-written.
    Yes, I totally agree and that is what this technology won't make it's way into the ILC cameras for some a few generations in my opinion. All the lenses are designed for the flat sensor and the curve is so severe the lenses would have to be physically different in the back I think to some degree. It will have to integrated into the E-Mount or will a new mount system need to be developed? like E-C mount? who knows. I'm thinking the RX1 style cameras will get it first, then the RX10 style cameras maybe and other point and shoots.

Brilliant for sure, and I wonder how the on sensor AF work, and will it still be effective like the A6000 technology?

Thanks again for the comments!

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony Nex-6, 18-55mm, 55-210mm OSS Lens, 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Question Update! Sony KW1 Selfie Camera has Curved Sensor, Photos!

I was just checking out the Whats Hot Page and noticed SonyAlphaRumors posted and update to the Curved Sensor Camera which is called the Sony KW1!

Check it out and I think it's really weird looking personally. Looks like a lighter to me? Not sure if it will make it to the US markets? Sony China >>

Jay

Will the new Sony curved sensor Technology be in the next generation Sony Xperia Smart phones?? I wonder.....

More rumored info on the Sony Curved Sensor future thanks to SonyAlphaRumors:

As confirmed by Sony that Asian-Lady friendly Sony KW1 camera is the first using the Sony curved sensor. And according to Androidorigin the next Xperia Z4 will sue a curved sensor too. I hope to have a solid rumor about the curved sensor RX2 with 35mm f/1.8 Zeiss soon. All we need to know is the release date. Not sure it will be January already. But I hope so
    Jay