Thread: New Toy Arrived :) The Hubsan X4

New Toy Arrived :) The Hubsan X4

The super affordable Hubsan X4 arrived the same day as Jase and boy is this little quad copter a blast to fly! Just as much fun as the phantom in fact, perhaps more for the smaller size I paid about $45 total with an extra battery and the prop guards, and that is really great considering the fun factor. So far i have been getting about 7-8 minutes flight time per battery.

Hubsan X4

Scale:

In flight snapshots:

Mini - Picture Effect

Here is what the remote looks like. What makes this copter a bit harder to fly then the phantom is the fact that it doesn't hover on it's own. No GPS, so you need to constantly be on the joysticks which is really hard, but super fun when you get the hang of it.

Thanks for looking,
    Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony Nex-6, 18-55mm, 55-210mm OSS Lens, 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Do you think this would be good training tool for bigger copters?

Quote Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
    Do you think this would be good training tool for bigger copters?
    Yes, Absolutely one of the best for learning based on the quad-copter forums discussions I've read. I have been re-searching for weeks and settled on this because it was just so affordable and when I saw a test flight video it was much better than expected! I have a video of some test flying uploading to youtube now. I will post it here as soon as it's done

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony Nex-6, 18-55mm, 55-210mm OSS Lens, 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Some quick test flight footage:

Jay

Thanks Jay!

cute toy

Hardcore Member
    I picked up a Blade 180QX RTF.
    Amazing little bundles of joy. After about 9 battery charges, I can get a consistent hover going(figured out I can adjust the trim and yaw from the controller finally). Waiting on a micro SD 16g class 10 card...yes it came with a camera! While definitely not as small as the quadcopter you have...still a great 'trainer'. Figure after maybe couple hundred hours of flying in the living room, I might be able to think about getting something to haul around a Hero 3+

The small transmitters are definitely wanting. Can see an upgrade to a DX6i possibly, as it will control big quads in the future.....

BTW, you are getting better flight times then I....and I'm not using the camera yet.

Scott (how did you photo it) B

That Blade 180QX RTF looks awesome!! A little out of my price range currently, but looks like fun for sure! What kind of camera does yours have? Stabilized? I have to figure out how to set the trim and other thing so the quad hovers. I still have not gotten to that task.

Not getting the best flight times. Maybe 6-7 minutes tops, but I have not timed it yet. Upgrading is inevitable when something is this much fun

Jay

Hardcore Member
    Jay,

Pick your remote up.
    Joystick on the left, it has four buttons-two on the left side of the stick and two below the stick. Those buttons will fine tune your remote to the quad.

Being the speed up until the quad is just barely flying, which ever way the quad goes use the button that would counteract it(instead of adjusting with the stick). Best if you do this inside....wind won't help. The buttons on the other stick control speed, and rotation.

Hope that makes sense?

Camera on the 180QX is just a plain old 720p and it mounts directly to the underside of the quad. I've seen video shot on YouTube from these, and they are not all that bad considering. Certainly is no H3-3D gimbal with a Hero 3+ black!!!! Or some freakish camera under a otcocopter!!!!

Scott (just got done with three more flights in the living room) B

Quote Originally Posted by SDB777 View Post
    Jay,

Pick your remote up.
    Joystick on the left, it has four buttons-two on the left side of the stick and two below the stick. Those buttons will fine tune your remote to the quad.

Being the speed up until the quad is just barely flying, which ever way the quad goes use the button that would counteract it(instead of adjusting with the stick). Best if you do this inside....wind won't help. The buttons on the other stick control speed, and rotation.

Hope that makes sense?
    Yes it does and thank you very much! I will play with those to see if I can get a better hover going Basically it just adds a little preset gain in whatever direction it sounds like.

Thanks again for the help and info on the video!!

I will report back on my hover progress via remote adjustments

Jay

Ah Jay.

Have you been playing with your Hubsan anymore? I just recently got my hands on a Hubsan x4 107C. Quite a fun little bugger. I've already crashed it a few times. Had to retrieve it from the top of a school building.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11366...CNHig-ewu5ztcw