Thread: Play Memories Home (And SonyAutoLauncher)

Play Memories Home (And SonyAutoLauncher)

Play Memories Home is now the default Sony display software (for the A6000, anyway). I installed it, but very quickly realized that much better options were available - Image Capture (on the Mac) to import images, Lightroom and DxO to process RAW, etc. If you want to experiment with some RAW settings and see how Sony interprets the adjustments, you can get the Sony Image Data Converter software. I decided I wanted to remove the Play Memories software because I wasn't using it, and also I found a SonyAutoLauncher process running all the time on my Mac (mostly showing as "not responding"). I used Chat on the Sony support site and the agent had to find instructions (just posted on August 5th) saying you could just drag the Play Memories app to the trash. However, that doesn't remove the SonyAutoLauncher process though. For future reference you have to go into your (HD)/library/launchagents folder and delete the agent starting this program. (Note that this is not in your (User)/library/launchagents folder.) Then reboot.

There is an install program for Play Memories Home and I think it installs these other processes. Normally you would expect to have a separate "unistall" program (or maybe an uninstall option in the install program), but neither are provided. When you install Play Memories Home you have to reboot after install and that is a sign the install is doing something behind the scenes. I hate these kinds of programs - they are rude and don't seem to understand that users might want to uninstall! Once again, Sony software is not up to their hardware standard.

Oh well. Maybe this information will help others with this issue.

David

Full ack. Sony, please provide in future also de-installation tools. Things like this smell for me like the 2005 secretly installed rootkit.

Quote Originally Posted by HamsterDR View Post
    Play Memories Home is now the default Sony display software (for the A6000, anyway). I installed it, but very quickly realized that much better options were available - Image Capture (on the Mac) to import images, Lightroom and DxO to process RAW, etc. If you want to experiment with some RAW settings and see how Sony interprets the adjustments, you can get the Sony Image Data Converter software. I decided I wanted to remove the Play Memories software because I wasn't using it, and also I found a SonyAutoLauncher process running all the time on my Mac (mostly showing as "not responding"). I used Chat on the Sony support site and the agent had to find instructions (just posted on August 5th) saying you could just drag the Play Memories app to the trash. However, that doesn't remove the SonyAutoLauncher process though. For future reference you have to go into your (HD)/library/launchagents folder and delete the agent starting this program. (Note that this is not in your (User)/library/launchagents folder.) Then reboot.

There is an install program for Play Memories Home and I think it installs these other processes. Normally you would expect to have a separate "unistall" program (or maybe an uninstall option in the install program), but neither are provided. When you install Play Memories Home you have to reboot after install and that is a sign the install is doing something behind the scenes. I hate these kinds of programs - they are rude and don't seem to understand that users might want to uninstall! Once again, Sony software is not up to their hardware standard.

David

Play Memories Home Software.

Quote Originally Posted by HamsterDR View Post

David

Hi David, I've recently purchased a A6000 and have been using the Play Memories Home Software to import my pictures to my Mac and I am looking for an alternative software. Where would I find the "Image Capture" software you mention in your post?
    Thanks

I use a Mac, and the Image Capture software comes standard with the system. If you are using a Windows computer, I can't make a recommendation - thought I know that Light Room, PhotoShop and Photoshop Elements have an import function that works well (though you end up with all your images in the software). I use Image Capture because I want to import to disk - only some of my images end up in photo software for post-processing. (I import from disk to the software in a separate step.)

Note that if you are using a Mac with current software, the Photos app will be installed, and Apple makes that the default import software. You have to turn that off to use Image Capture. Otherwise, everything ends up in the Photos application.

David