B&W-2
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

B&W
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

12mm
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

12mm
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

Incredible shots from a clearly awesome lens, camera, and photographer Wow! That first waterfall looks like it's going to pop off the page, and that is some 3d effects going on big time. The lone tree and tunnel of trees also looks massive with such a wide angle. Love that magic hour light and they all look very sharp to me as well.

How is the contrast straight off the camera?

Thanks for sharing,
    Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony Nex-6, 18-55mm, 55-210mm OSS Lens, 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Thanks Jay!
    Here is jpeg of RAW from LR with sharpening for screen standard at export and nothing else.

RAW
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

Link for full size image
    https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2910/...af738088_o.jpg

That is very impressive and totally worth the investment! Only minor adjustments are needed clearly and the corner sharpness looks really good considering the depth of the scene

Thanks for sharing the raw sample and full size image. Which aperture was this photo taken at?

For reference my Sigma 10-20mm had horrible purple CA and blur in the corners when using it with an adapter. Still not that bad, but this is so much better.

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony Nex-6, 18-55mm, 55-210mm OSS Lens, 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

f22 I believe, I was trying to get motion in the water and didn't have ND filter with me

Yeah, that makes sense because the full size image should be a bit sharper I would think. f/22 has some serious diffraction issues due to the angle the light is hitting the sensor. Do you happen to have a f/8 or f/5.6 photo you could share full size? I usually try not to go above f/16 because of the diffraction, but sometimes it's just not an option like in this shot I used f/22 the other day for a waterfall image, also having no ND filter, and I was disappointed with the softness. Your results are much better than mine! Can't remember which lens off the top of my head, but I think it was the 55-210mm. I was looking in Lightroom and said, oh yeah diffraction softness.

Thanks again for sharing so much info, it's really appreciated and valuable as not many if any quality reviews of Rokinon 12mm f/2 Lens are around yet!

Jay

I was going to take some pictures in downtown Milwaukee today, lots of brick buildings for aperture testing

Oh yeah, perfect!

Jay here is the link to Dropbox folder ARW files from f2.0 tp f22 in full stops, and one file named CA for chromatic aboration (upper left corner)

Edit;
    Removed files from Dropbox (free account, needed space)
    Last edited by Obelix; Aug 4 2014 at 06:29 PM.

Awesome Obelix, thanks man!!

Jay

Wow, f/8 is killer Dude!! Awesome quality lens for sure and thank you for the extended testing I need to check out a few more apertures and the CA one now.

Jay

And here is more images Rokinon 12mm f2.0 from St. Joan of Arc chapel at Marquette University.
    Interesting story how this chapel ended up here http://www.marquette.edu/chapel/history/index.shtml
    RAW images are of this door, this is edited version at f5.6

St. Joan of Arc-7
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

St. Joan of Arc-4
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

St. Joan of Arc-3
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

St. Joan of Arc-2
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

Interior at f2.8, with what they clame life size statue of Joan of Arc

St. Joan of Arc
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Wow, f/8 is killer Dude!! Awesome quality lens for sure and thank you for the extended testing I need to check out a few more apertures and the CA one now.

Jay
    I'm happy with results, and I didn't see lots of distortion. I was going to do brick wall test but it started to rain

I played around with your f/8 frame a little Awesome Game of Thrones style door and texture!

Thanks again for sharing,
    Jay

Awesome shots, structure, and landscape compositions. They are all really strong photos and it's hard to pick a favorite

Jay

Thanks!
    I found image that showed barrel distortion, +7 in Lightroom took care of it

Yup, I didn't even mess with that, but around +6, +7 seems about right

Jay

Few more shots with NEX-6 and Rokinon 12mm f2.0 from this morning, after 3" of rain overnight

Mill Pond
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

Mill Pond
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

Mill Pond
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

Mill Pond
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

Pleasure viewing your shots...thanks for sharing!
    Sony Alpha A6000
    SEL1018 : SELP18105G : SELP1650 : SEL55210 : SEL50F18 : SEL35F18 : SEL30M35 : SEL20F28
    VCL-ECU1 Ultra Wide Lens Converter
    Fotodiox PRO NIK(G) - NEX D-Click Adapter
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    LIM'S LE-HCA6000BK Half Case
    N
    eewer Vertical Battery Grip

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dragion/

Novice with a passion for creativity!
    Joint Photographic Experts Group

*hand-held only

From 12mm Zeiss Touit review
    I enable the lens profile in Lightroom 5 and the Zeiss Touit 12mm f/2.8 Lens was in the database! Mostly what it did was fix the distortion and vignette that was visible.
    And guess what, that profile works perfect with Rokinon 12mm. This is great as there is no Samyang/Rokinon lens profiles in LR

Quote Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
    From 12mm Zeiss Touit review

And guess what, that profile works perfect with Rokinon 12mm. This is great as there is no Samyang/Rokinon lens profiles in LR
    That's great to hear Obelix!
    Sony Alpha A6000
    SEL1018 : SELP18105G : SELP1650 : SEL55210 : SEL50F18 : SEL35F18 : SEL30M35 : SEL20F28
    VCL-ECU1 Ultra Wide Lens Converter
    Fotodiox PRO NIK(G) - NEX D-Click Adapter
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    LIM'S LE-HCA6000BK Half Case
    N
    eewer Vertical Battery Grip

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dragion/

Novice with a passion for creativity!
    Joint Photographic Experts Group

*hand-held only

that rokinon sure is a killer! had I known earlier, I might have opted for this instead of going for the zeiss bundle as I really don't need the 32mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarnim View Post
    that rokinon sure is a killer! had I known earlier, I might have opted for this instead of going for the Zeiss bundle as I really don't need the 32mm.
    You could sell that 32mm lens and then and go for the Rokinon. You could then sell the other 12mm Zeiss if it's good enough to replace in your opinion. All you have to lose is some a little money on the zeiss lenses, but not to much I wouldn't think. Check out the latest Ebay Auctions >>

Hardcore Member
    Just found this one....

Forgive me, but I know now very little about this Rokinon brand. But I'll go looking now!

Would you consider this a 'maybe lens' or a 'must have'?
    Does it need any adaptor for the Sony a7r?
    Is it stabilized or ??

Great series of photo's....thank you!

Scott (price is better then the Sony stuff too) B

Rokinon/Samyang lenses are fully manual, manual focus and aperture ring. There is no electronic communication with camera at all. As far as camera knows you don’t have anything attached to it, that’s why you have to enable “trigger without lens”
    Depends on your needs. For me this is “must lens” as I like ultra wide lenses, I also have Rokinon 8mm f2.8 fisheye. With short focal length of 8mm and 12mm auto focus is not as important as DOF is huge.
    8mm f2.8 fisheye and 12mm f2.0 UW are designed for NEX (e-mount)
    Their other lenses are converted DSLR lenses (just think of them as DSLR lens with built in adapter) they all have native E-mount. If you have Sony/Canon/Nikon DSLR I would buy lens in that mount and get adapter for e-mount so you can use them on two systems

Thanks for the info and I added all the newer Rokinon lenses to the Sony E-Mount Lens Guide Finally >>

Jay

More pictures with Rokinon 12mm f2.0

Statue in front of Harley-Davidson museum

12-17
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

HDR Painting, high

12-20
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

Grohmann Museum, home of the Man at Work collection

12-15
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

Cityscape

12-11
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

Toy Bank

12-9
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

Inverted pyramid building

12-5
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

Blatz Brewing

12-3
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

North Point water tower, built in 1873

by Dalibor M, on Flickr

Excellent shots and architecture Obelix. It's fun using those creative modes from time to time as well

Those last two images in particular have some killer detail and color

Jay

Hardcore Member
    Thanks, if my bids on eBay fall through, I'll probably look at getting this lens for my a350 body.

Scott (trying to sneak a bid through on a 'oops listing') B

Scott, this lens is for mirrorless cameras only.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast