Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: A6000 built in mic

  1. #1
    Hardcore Member dragion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    301

    A6000 built in mic

    I'm wondering how good is the built in mic on the A6000?

    I was researching about the Sony ECM-XYST1M Stereo Microphone and wondered on how does it compare.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

    The reason for the interest is that I just sold my Sony Handycam camcorder in order to purchase the SELP18105mm as a replacement.
    I don't do much video, but there are times that a special event/occasion will require it.

    Has anyone have any knowledge/experience regarding the built in mic and/or the ECM-XYST1M?

    Any suggestions or feedback will be appreciated.
    Sony Alpha A6000
    SEL1018 : SELP18105G : SELP1650 : SEL55210 : SEL50F18 : SEL35F18 : SEL30M35 : SEL20F28
    VCL-ECU1 Ultra Wide Lens Converter
    Fotodiox PRO NIK(G) - NEX D-Click Adapter
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    LIM'S LE-HCA6000BK Half Case
    N
    eewer Vertical Battery Grip

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/dragion/

    Novice with a passion for creativity!
    Joint Photographic Experts Group

    *hand-held only

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Obelix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Posts
    1,539
    I have that microphone for my NEX-6 and it works great, biggest advantage over built in mic is windscreen and directional options.

  3. #3
    Hardcore Member dragion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
    I have that microphone for my NEX-6 and it works great, biggest advantage over built in mic is windscreen and directional options.
    Thanks Obelix for your feedback.
    What I'm more interested in when recording either a group or concert from a distance.

    Majority of my videos will be performances from my daughter...either in a medium room setting or in a large auditorium.
    Sony Alpha A6000
    SEL1018 : SELP18105G : SELP1650 : SEL55210 : SEL50F18 : SEL35F18 : SEL30M35 : SEL20F28
    VCL-ECU1 Ultra Wide Lens Converter
    Fotodiox PRO NIK(G) - NEX D-Click Adapter
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    LIM'S LE-HCA6000BK Half Case
    N
    eewer Vertical Battery Grip

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/dragion/

    Novice with a passion for creativity!
    Joint Photographic Experts Group

    *hand-held only

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Obelix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Posts
    1,539
    Never used it in that environment, here is good review.


  5. #5
    Excellent info Obelix, thanks for sharing! I used one of the older models and it was much better than the stock mic on the camera by far. I really don't have any other expertise on the mics though honestly. I should get some one day, but the digitaldiget does really good work and it's really not worth me doing now

    Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

    Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

  6. #6
    Hardcore Member dragion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
    Never used it in that environment, here is good review.

    Thanks Obelix.
    During my research, I have viewed that video and found it helpful...thanks for posting it here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Excellent info Obelix, thanks for sharing! I used one of the older models and it was much better than the stock mic on the camera by far. I really don't have any other expertise on the mics though honestly. I should get some one day, but the digitaldiget does really good work and it's really not worth me doing now

    Jay
    Jay,
    What type of audio set up do you use when recording your videos?

    Would the ECM-XYST1M work well as a "zoom" mic for my situations or would the built in mic in the A6000 be sufficient.
    The issue is that I'm uncertain on the distance from the stage I would be from performance to performance.

    Since selling the Sony camcorder, I'm left with this dilemma
    Sony Alpha A6000
    SEL1018 : SELP18105G : SELP1650 : SEL55210 : SEL50F18 : SEL35F18 : SEL30M35 : SEL20F28
    VCL-ECU1 Ultra Wide Lens Converter
    Fotodiox PRO NIK(G) - NEX D-Click Adapter
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    LIM'S LE-HCA6000BK Half Case
    N
    eewer Vertical Battery Grip

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/dragion/

    Novice with a passion for creativity!
    Joint Photographic Experts Group

    *hand-held only

  7. #7
    Jay,
    What type of audio set up do you use when recording your videos?

    Would the ECM-XYST1M work well as a "zoom" mic for my situations or would the built in mic in the A6000 be sufficient.
    The issue is that I'm uncertain on the distance from the stage I would be from performance to performance.

    Since selling the Sony camcorder, I'm left with this dilemma
    I use a Yeti microphone plugged into my Mac for the videos where I talk in front of the camera. Like in the reviews and stuff. When taking sample video I always use the built in mic and it's not to bad. At a performance I'm not sure how good it will come out honestly. The hot shoe adapter units would certainly make a difference in quality. I would rather have one than not have one for sure in that situation. I'm usually just testing the cameras themselves out, so the built in mic is pretty good for that. The audio dynamic range (db response) is not as good on the camera mic then the better camcorder mics and hot shoe units as well. I really don't know much about that stuff, but the sensitivity and ability to capture highs and lows is limited with the on camera vs a hot shoe mounted unit. How much better exactly is hard for me to say, because I have no real experience comparing.

    I can tell you the audio quality when using my Yeti microphone as apposed to the Nex-6 is 10X better. It's night and day and I never want to record a video without it now

    I hope that helps a little,
    Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

    Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

  8. #8
    The A7 have a much better internal mic than the NEX6. I bought the ECM-XYST1M for the NEX6 and works great, for the A7 I find the internal mic good enough for most of time. I don't know about the a6000 though.
    If you are shooting outside, a windscreen is a must, so better use an external mic.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by FlavioRoss View Post
    The A7 have a much better internal mic than the NEX6. I bought the ECM-XYST1M for the NEX6 and works great, for the A7 I find the internal mic good enough for most of time. I don't know about the a6000 though.
    If you are shooting outside, a windscreen is a must, so better use an external mic.
    Excellent information and hands-on experience sharing

    Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

    Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

  10. #10
    Hardcore Member dragion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I use a Yeti microphone plugged into my Mac for the videos where I talk in front of the camera. Like in the reviews and stuff. When taking sample video I always use the built in mic and it's not to bad. At a performance I'm not sure how good it will come out honestly. The hot shoe adapter units would certainly make a difference in quality. I would rather have one than not have one for sure in that situation. I'm usually just testing the cameras themselves out, so the built in mic is pretty good for that. The audio dynamic range (db response) is not as good on the camera mic then the better camcorder mics and hot shoe units as well. I really don't know much about that stuff, but the sensitivity and ability to capture highs and lows is limited with the on camera vs a hot shoe mounted unit. How much better exactly is hard for me to say, because I have no real experience comparing.

    I can tell you the audio quality when using my Yeti microphone as apposed to the Nex-6 is 10X better. It's night and day and I never want to record a video without it now

    I hope that helps a little,
    Jay
    Thanks Jay for your feedback and description on your audio process.

    Quote Originally Posted by FlavioRoss View Post
    The A7 have a much better internal mic than the NEX6. I bought the ECM-XYST1M for the NEX6 and works great, for the A7 I find the internal mic good enough for most of time. I don't know about the a6000 though.
    If you are shooting outside, a windscreen is a must, so better use an external mic.
    Thanks for sharing your experience with the ECM-XYST1M.
    Sony Alpha A6000
    SEL1018 : SELP18105G : SELP1650 : SEL55210 : SEL50F18 : SEL35F18 : SEL30M35 : SEL20F28
    VCL-ECU1 Ultra Wide Lens Converter
    Fotodiox PRO NIK(G) - NEX D-Click Adapter
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    LIM'S LE-HCA6000BK Half Case
    N
    eewer Vertical Battery Grip

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/dragion/

    Novice with a passion for creativity!
    Joint Photographic Experts Group

    *hand-held only

  11. #11
    Hardcore Member dragion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    301
    I ended up purchasing the Sony ECM-XYST1M from eBay "NEW" for $99.99.
    I used my eBay Bucks which brought the cost to $73.80 shipped.

    I will share my experience with the ECM-XYST1M compared to the built in mic from the A6000.
    Since my experience with video is very limited and don't do too much video, the test sample might not be that good.

    I'll post samples/results once I receive it.

    Thanks again for all the help!
    Sony Alpha A6000
    SEL1018 : SELP18105G : SELP1650 : SEL55210 : SEL50F18 : SEL35F18 : SEL30M35 : SEL20F28
    VCL-ECU1 Ultra Wide Lens Converter
    Fotodiox PRO NIK(G) - NEX D-Click Adapter
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    LIM'S LE-HCA6000BK Half Case
    N
    eewer Vertical Battery Grip

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/dragion/

    Novice with a passion for creativity!
    Joint Photographic Experts Group

    *hand-held only

  12. #12
    Awesome and I'm looking forward to hearing what you think compared to the built in mic!

    Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

    Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •