Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrist Strap

Wrist Strap

Somewhere around this time last year I was looking for wrist strap for my NEX-6, couldn't find anything I like at reasonable price. Ones that looked quality made had steel buckles for attaching camera, or they were to expensive. Looking up some reviews on Yuotube I ran in to instructional video how to make paracord bracelets. I tweaked it little and made my own wrist strap. It takes you about 20 min. of work and few dollars in material. Takes about 10' of paracord, if you are making bicolor one, cut one color about foot longer.

Here is my NEX-6 with what I call Sony strap (black and orange)

Sony
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

And here is Canon (black and red) and Nikon (black and yellow) model

Canon & Nikon
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

They can be used for walking stick, camping hatchet, flashlight...

That is awesome and I totally want to make one Where is that video at?? You can embed it in the thread here if it's on Youtube. Here is a quick search result on youtube, but I would really like to know the best video if possible.

I love the idea of no metal, light weight, colorful options, home made, etc.. Incredible!

Thanks again,
    Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Thanks!
    Don't forget strong, I used 550 lbs test paracord
    I will look for it tonight, You Tube is blocked at work.
    In this video he is making bracelet so he starts with loose ends, where I weld ends together and start with loop. I place weld inside the braided part, so you can’t see it in final product. Using single color is much easier, but not as colorful. They have many color options in paracord, solid and multicolored.
    Last edited by Obelix; Jun 16 2014 at 06:10 PM.

Thanks again, and I'm really looking forward to making a few of these with Layla and what not! What a great project that is actually functional and fun She can make braclets also and I can get cheaper yarn or whatever to show her a simple braid perhaps and so on... Always looking for fun stuff to do with Layla

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

This video is great on the basic concept with an extremely simple design. The better designs can be applied to the basic foundation clearly. Now I need some paracord ASAP!

Jay

Your local craft store will have some Jo-Ann, Michaels or Walmart, Target... Not as big selection as internet, but quick start.

Here is the video I was talking about, you can start at 0:50 and watch till 5:20
    Important part here is how to start braid with small loop at the top, this way you don't have to tie some kind of knot.
    He starts with loose short ends, I start with loop (right side in video) To create loop I heat up ends of paracord and weld them together. You want to make this weld as small as possible, so when it cools of little bit and is still playable shape it with your fingers (practice with small part first) If you look at his example, blue cord would be full length on left side and loop up 3/4 on the right side. This will give you blue loops at both ends. I would start with 6' of blue and 5' of green

Here is the picture of my start, you can see loops at both ends and weld. Working ends are on left and right side

Panasonic
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr
    Last edited by Obelix; Jun 16 2014 at 06:58 PM.

Awesome! Thanks for that and any tips on the welding? I can see making a mess trying that with a lighter?

Thanks again,
    Jay

I use a lighter, hold both ends in one hand and heat them up back and fort for few seconds. Take one end in each hand line them up and hold couple seconds, when they cool down little bit smooth weld out with fingers. It would be easier if you have Zippo or any lighter that can stand on the table. Then you can hold one end in each hand. When you finish braid, tightly pull ends and leave about 1/8" of cord for melting. Melt ends and smooth them up with lighter, so you don't have any burrs or sharp ends.

And finished strap

Panasonic
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

Panasonic
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

Thanks for the tips and very nice! Are you selling these things?

Thanks,
    Jay

I gifted all the ones I made so far.
    I don't think there is enough profit in small item like this. When you look at material, packaging, shipping and my time, it's not worth it. I would rather be out there taking pictures at my free time

I totally hear that, and was thinking the same thing. How much can you really make when time is factored in? I need to get some of that rope ASAP!

Jay

Wow great stuff! I think Im going to try this weekend.

I got the rop from the local army navy store. Three colors (black, Dasrk Gray/green, and Bright Orange) and 100 feet of each should do it for now Stay tuned for some 1st attempts!

Jay

Excellent tutorial!

Jay

Ok, so I made a bracelet for Layla first and sorry for the terrible quality photos, but I wanted to get them up before I went to bed!

Then went for the camera strap which took additional effort and I made it a bit to long unfortunately, but it still works great and I made it

Thanks again for all the help and info Obelix as I plan to make a more advanced one next!

Jay

Nice work Jay!
    Layla's bracelet looks great.
    I don't like long lanyard, it gets in the way. I make braid just long enough to be little loose when cinched.
    Looks to me like you have double short loop?

Thanks and I don't like the long lanyard either in hindsight. I'll make a new one today much shorter or maybe adjustable until I figure out the perfect length, then I will complete it. Lots of fun and I'm looking forward to trying some different knots/ techniques.

Looks to me like you have double short loop?
    Yes it is, as I did not like the single loop weld design on the video I first found. It just did not seam as strong to me, so I found another video that tucks the ends under itself and then weaves over them. That creates the doulde lops at the end of the bracelet looking area.

Here is another video I ended up using last night for Layla's bracelet and shows the double loop for design trick I guess.

Thanks again,
    Jay

Yeas it is, as I did not like the single loop weld design on the video I first found. It just did not seam as strong to me, so I found another video that tucks the ends under itself and then weaves over them. That creates the doulde lops at the end of the bracelet looking area.
    With single color like your strap, you wouldn't need weld if you followed my modification to video I attached.

Hmmm, I think I was just getting confused with the two colors and not using the buckles, plus adding the lanyard More practice is clearly required!

Sorry, somehow I missed the video you posted as I think I went to the next page Sorry I will watch that video now!

Jay

Paracord Camera Wrist Strap

Ok, so I watched another few videos and got a few ideas of my own Check this out!

Home Made Paracord Camera Wrist Strap

I'm really happy with how it came out and it's basically just a double of the original bracelet with two colors stacked. So I made the first one completly in orange, ands then used black over the top and made another the same exact way creating this more dimensional look, plus adds much more Paracord so the strap is a bit beefier which I also wanted.

Lots of fun and this took me about 1 hour total I would say to make, but it's my third effort now, so it's starting to get pretty easy. The more complex weaves are next, but I have to much other work to get done first The Phantom Quadcopter showed up and I need to try it out, plus get the selp18105g lens review doen, the 70-200mm f/4 OSS G lens review done, and the Sony Vertical Battery grip for the A7r review done. After that I will play with some more paracord if I'm not totally obsessed with the flying drone with camera I just got!

Jay

Hey Obelix, what L-Bracket are you using?

Thanks,
    Jay

Two Color Jawbone Design if anybody is feeling frisky

Jay

Nice strap, that is called "double cobra".
    I use RRS L bracket.
    I like smaller bracelet, something like this one.

Thanks bud Excellent!

Jay

Couple more.
    Easy way to add color, Carolina Beach on the left and Dahlia on the right from Bored?Paracord!
    Nice cord to work with. Does not melt as nice so I wouldn't use it where welding is required.

H&H
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

H&H-2
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr
    Last edited by Obelix; Jul 13 2014 at 11:26 PM.

My daughter Layla is loving that pink one! Great job I need more colors!

Jay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast