Thread: Design Fault in A7 & A9 cameras !

Advanced Member

Design Fault in A7 & A9 cameras !

Hi all.

I had the A9, mounted with the 24 - 70 2.8.

Ok the lens is quite heavy, and you have to support the camera, while the other hand does the zooming.

I was doing some shots beside a boatyard, and was slightly down angled, while trying to zoom between the fence bars !

The lens release button, is just at the end of the handgrip !

Due to my position, long fingers, and gripping the weight, while composing the shot, meant that I had inadvertently pressed the lens release button !

Instead of zooming, the lens unscrewed, and dropped to the concrete.

Strangely enough, the B&W UV filter, stayed intact, but about a third of the front lens scabbed off !

Also the mount got damaged so it would not return to the camera body.

Thank god, I took out the extra insurance... I am 64, and never in my life, have I ever dropped a lens, until now !

My point is, other cameras I have owned, have had the lens release button, on the opposite side of the handgrip, so people with either large hands or long fingers, cannot accidentally release a lens !

Yes, I had the A 7 II for a few years, then got the A9, and never had a problem, until yesterday, where a combination of angle and weight, had a disasterous effect !

Thank god the lens is on the extended Jessops warranty through D & G .

I wil keep you updated on this.

Cheers

Wally

This is terrible news, I hope they manage to sort it out quickly for you.

Best regards
    Eric

Advanced Member
    Thanks !

Yes, when you think about it, It is ridiculous !
    The lens release button should be at the 1700 position or even better 1800.
    That way, you could never inadvertently, release the lens !

On my Leica the lens release is at the 2100 position, it gives no problems at all however it is a lot smaller than the one on the Sony A series.

Sorry to hear this Wally, and I agree it is terrible news! The reason the lens re-lease is on the other side, is because of the ability to add the LA-EA3 and LA-EA4 lens adapter and then attach A-Mount lenses. Those lenses have the re-lease on the other side like you would expect. I believe this is the reason for the location of the lens re-lease on the mirrorless cameras. I'm really sorry to hear about this, and yes it's a great thing you had the extra insurance for time like this.

I have heard of this type of thing happening when using the teleconverters and the large 100-40mm GM Lens as well. The teleconverter has a re-lease switch that can be pressed fairly easily by accident when zooming. Folks are reporting that they are putting tape over the switch to avoid accidental zoom re-lease.

At the end of the day I recommend always holding the lens firmly when zooming just encase and using your left hand.

All the best,
    Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Advanced Member
    Hi All. Thanks for the responses. JAY.. Thanks for the explanation !

Ok, I received a reply from D & G, which turned out to be a mistake.

I took the letter + policy, to my local branch of Jessops, and the boss immediately said, that is a mistake !

He phoned D & G, and got me a full refund, for the 24 - 70 f 2.8. Ok, I paid 1899 GBP for it, now the price has dropped to 1799 GBP , and that is the ammount I will be receiving later this week, apparently.

Ok, as regards jessops, Ive bought all my camera stuff from them, over the years, and , once cameras or lenses approach 1000 gbp or more, then yes , I have allways added their recommended extra cover ,through D & G.

Thank You Jessops, for your professionalism and efficiency ! Thank god I took out the extra cover !

You lot better take note ! Then either tape over the release, and or -- take out the extended insurance !

Good Luck !