Thread: A9 problems ?

Advanced Member

A9 problems ?

Hi All.

As you know, I bought an A9. Not long after, the LCD screen stopped working.
    I took it back to Jessops in the UK, and showed them the problem.
    Ok if it got sent for repair, it would probably take 4 - 6 weeks to get sorted.
    Unfortunately I had already booked a foto holiday in Ireland, around Connemara, and did not want to risk not having the camera back in time, also, after returning from Ireland the camera would still be under warranty.
    On returning from Ireland I took the A9 to Jessops for repair or replacement. Now Im just waiting for it to come back.

I donīt use the LCD for photos, just for the menus, and its rather irritating doing the menu changing through the viewfinder.

Does anyone else have this problem ?

Cheers

Wally

Advanced Member
    Well, despite Jessops saying that the repair could take 6 weeks mebbe 8 , surprisingly enough Jessops phoned this morning, to say the camera was back in the shop and yes there had been a problem with the wiring & the LCD screen,and that had been replaced...
    Great !
    Apart from the fact I flew to Las Palmas yesterday, not expecting the camera back, any time soon.
    Ok Christine is taking it for a walk to test it, and so far she says its all back to normal.
    I guess Sony took an immediate interest, in the repair of their flagship.
    Cheers
    Wally. ( Oh they also extended the warranty for a further 6 months from the date of the repair, Thanks Sony ! )

Hi Wally,

Good story about Sony servicing their customers well. Nice to know and hopefully this is the new "standard".

Happy shooting,

Stef

Yes, very good story indeed Thanks for sharing!!
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony Nex-6, 18-55mm, 55-210mm OSS Lens, 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Advanced Member
    Ok, this is the latest update.
    I flew back to the Canaries, and within 2 weeks, the A9 was doing exactly the same, again !
    I told Jessops, but due to life & an attack of Shingles, I was not able to return to the UK, until Saturday the 8th.
    Still well inside, the extended 6 month warranty, after the first repair, I got back to Jessops, where the chap in the shop, couldn't find anything wrong with it.
    So, I said, well, this is the UK, The Canaries are very sunny, so, do me a favor, go outside, then try taking a few photos.
    Since this camera cost over 4 grand, he didn't argue, he went outside, and took some photos, and the LCD didn't work !
    So, as he was the person that sent it away, initially, he gave me the body back & asked me to return, to the shop, before 1700, and he would do some research in the meantime.

On my return, the chap said he had called around, and also tried the shop demo A9 outside, where it performed flawlessly.
    Due to the previous repair, for the same problem, it was deemed that my particular A9 was at fault, not the A9 in general !

So, today, I have just been given, a brand new A9, as a replacement, and so far, it is performing as expected !

Cheers

Wally

Awesome update Wally, but very sorry to hear of the trouble in the first place Happy shooting!!

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony Nex-6, 18-55mm, 55-210mm OSS Lens, 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Advanced Member
    OK, Thanks For the Kind words.. Jay.

Now for the underbelly, of the extended insurance, promoted by Jessops UK, which is provided by D & G
    Domestick & General !

Obviously, I never expected, to be sold a faulty camera, from Sony, through Jessops UK .However, it was neariy sent back twice.

Anyway, the boss of Jessops, in my local shop, who immediately on testing other A9 bodies, could not replicate my A 9 malfunction, gave me a brand new body, in exchange for the faulty one, that broke down , inside a week of the Canaries sun.

He took a shop demo A 9, with lens, into the sunny street
    and it functioned perfectly !

On receiving, the new A 9 Body... the boss at Jessops said...... you better call D & G so they can amend the policy !

SO, wanting to keep everything above board, I phoned D & G about the insurance, and I was told, I had to send in the claim, for the damaged goods

Jeez, what a palaver !
    Im not sure that the additional 3 yr policy , is worth anything, appart from those who sell it !

Anyway, at this point in time.......... We are waiting, for a quote, from a policy, that.. we paid for on purchase, in full, of the Sony A 9 and the 24-70 F2.8

Domestic & General , are happy, that we are unharmed
    So, they go hill walking
    ( Sorry, Hit the wrong button )
    Last edited by Wally; Sep 15 2018 at 05:45 AM. Reason: wrong key

Advanced Member
    We will, have a party, somewhere down the line
    Thanks for all, that yu all did for me !

Take Care Out There !

Advanced Member
    Ok, Today, I have just received a letter from Domestic & General.

All I wanted to do was give them the new serial nr, so they could amend the policy. However, that cannot be done !
    You have to cancel the old policy, and get a new one !

The letter then says, I am not due a refund, as I have benefitted from services under the plan ??

What Services ?
    The camera was still under warranty, from Sony, as I was given a 6 month extension after the first repair, and the camera failed inside the first month, but I was away in the Canaries,so I did not return for a month or so, still well within the 6 month extension.

All I did, was phone Domestic & General, to get the serial nr changed, nothing else !
    D & G were not involved in any way, in the repair or replacement process !

So, They have cancelled the plan, which started on the 29th of May. 2018 til 29th of May 2020. No refund due, and they expect me to pay for a new plan ??

I will be writing back to them, for an explanation, and I will update, as & when.

Oh, the extended cover policy through Domestic & General, costs 199 Gbp .
    Cheers
    Wally
    Last edited by Wally; Sep 15 2018 at 06:00 AM.

Now thats is what I would call the rough end of the stick.
    I recently had to make an insurance claim as I fell and my Tamron 150/600mm lens took a hit.
    We never thought of doing this until a visiting brother said we should claim it.

It was all done in less than a week and a half.
    But I never replaced that lens as I really want to get the best I think 55/200mm lens but the big one.
    So I got myslef another camera to that is less weight than just the lens but has a great zoom.
    I got the Nikon P900 as it will be good for holidays and keep my good Sony for all around home.

So sorry that you never had it as easy as I did.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

Yeah, that totally sucks Wally! I never buy extended warranty's because on average they never get used. The few times they do, it still doesn't add up in my mind. When you hear stories like this, it's just crazy aggravating!

Jay

Advanced Member
    Update.

I wrote a letter to D&G Customer services, and complained.
    Shortly thereafter, someone phoned me and explained why they couldn't just change the serial nr, but of course I was due a refund, and he had no idea why that was initially denied. So, supposedly a refund is due, but the amount was not mentioned, we shall see, as and when anything arrives.

Cheers All

Advanced Member
    WOW.. A cheque arrived, today, from D&G, for the full amount, 199.99 !
    From initially being told I was not due a refund, to then, being refunded completely was a nice surprise !
    Thanks D & G.