Thread: SAL Photography Challenge #17 Close up or Macro Photography

Hardcore Member

SAL Photography Challenge #17 Close up or Macro Photography

I know there is a precise definition to "macro" photography but in a more general way, I am saying "close up" photography is ok for this challenge. So......for those who wish to engage in the challenge, let's see what you have to share:

Name:  sailor 2.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  126.2 KB

Name:  Sail 5.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  290.4 KB
    Gear: Sony A6000, Canon T5i, Zeiss 16mm-70mm, various Canon lenses, PS Elements, various Topaz plug ins.

Mike

Name:  1-4.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  505.6 KB

Ancient money
    the HepKitty from Hepcat City.

Hardcore Member
    Interesting photo of the ancient (Egyptian?) money. How old would the coin be?
    Gear: Sony A6000, Canon T5i, Zeiss 16mm-70mm, various Canon lenses, PS Elements, various Topaz plug ins.

Mike

SAL Photography Challenge #17 Close up or Macro
    Posted before but this works well for this challenge.

This is a real close up of a Bee.
    Attachment 5847
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

Hardcore Member
    Gramps,

That is pretty darn close up of the bee. I have never had the patience to shoot live insects. I though maybe I would try if I could find a dead one so as to take my time.

Mike

Hardcore Member
    I am always amazed by the intricacy of the gears in a watch.

Name:  WATCH 5.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  366.3 KB

Mike

Well, macro/close-up is normally right up my alley so I'll try to shoot something new and post here...

In the meantime, the following goes back 3 weeks ago. A bit abstract in black and white but sometimes macro produces those atypical realms. It's the tip of a maple leaf fallen in water underneath a fence. Don't ask me how I got there in the first place...

Leaf edge (B/W) by Stef, on Flickr

Regards,

Stef

p.s. Great coin shot Lucille. Interesting bee Gramps. Mike, good effort on the watch; seems you may have moved a bit as it looks a bit blurred to me.

Excellent Macro Photography samples so far everybody and thank you very much Mike for starting the new challenge

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony Nex-6, 18-55mm, 55-210mm OSS Lens, 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

This just in!!! Treasure found on WWII submarine!
    Last edited by OldNoob; Dec 16 2017 at 11:21 PM.
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

A treasure found indeed Nice one!!

I was hoping to get a 50mm Macro lens for this review cycle that I'm currently in, but that did not work out unfortunately. However, I can still take close-ups with the lenses I do currently have In this case I was using one of the best bang for the buck full frame e-mount medium telephoto prime lenses currently available in my opinion, the Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 Lens via the A7rII...

This next close-up snap shot was taken with the much more expensive and specialized Sony FE 100mm f/2.8 STF OSS Lens via the A7rII:

For ha ha's I have a few more minimum focus distance test shots taken with the FE 100mm f/2.8 STF OSS Lens which I took in the lab so you can see how different it renders the out of focus areas depending on the scene. I was quite amazed!

So this first test frame is at the minimum focus distance of ~1.87' (57 cm), and I focused on the edge of the US quarter wide open. This lens says it's f/2.8, however the implementation of the apodization filter renders this range as T5.6 to T22. So wide open is f/5.6 as far as the camera is concerned....

Same photo stopped down to f/6.3 to illustrate the drastic change in the background out of focus bokeh balls...

And one more wide open @ 5.6, but this time focused on the dollar bill so you can see what happens to the out of focus highlighted quarter:

I plan on getting much better photos with these lenses, but for now that is what is have to offer for close-ups...

Thanks for looking and please keep the great images coming!

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony Nex-6, 18-55mm, 55-210mm OSS Lens, 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Interesting tests Jay. Does the STF lens react the same way (vs bokeh) on an APS-C sensor?

We got our first real snow in Montreal last week. Christmas will be white this year. On the first day, while the big snowflakes were slowly dancing in the sky and softly landing on top of each other, I got my vintage Tamron SP 90mm/2.8 macro lens attached to my A6500 and I went patrolling the balcony fence, an inch or so from the accumulating snow. The build up changes constantly so you have to work fast. Found several gems, such as this...

Snow crystal by Stef, on Flickr

This is one case where I appreciate the A6500 internal sensor stabilization. Hand-holding a macro lens, it's nice to be able to have a stable view of the target at 1:1 magnification. Takes a bit of practice and a few tricks to be consistent.

Some days later, the deep cold (about -30C with the wind) settled in. I got glass exposed to the outside weather and all kinds of interesting frost patterns emerged. In real life, the next image is about a quarter of an inch wide. If you zoom in, you can see individual ice specks forming the greater picture, which looked to me like a bird's wing.

Ice feathers by Stef, on Flickr

Both images were selected on "Explore" by Flickr yesterday. I didn't think this was possible. I was quite surprised.

Both pictures are out-of-camera JPG, slightly cropped.

Cheers,

Stef
    Last edited by leuius; Dec 17 2017 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Few typos corrected

Interesting tests Jay. Does the STF lens react the same way (vs bokeh) on an APS-C sensor?
    Thanks Stef, and yes it should behave very similar on the crop factor cameras, but an d effective ~150mm of course...

Awesome frozen frames you got there I really like both and they have that appeal that makes me not that surprised Explore by Flickr picked them up! Awesome captures and thanks for sharing,

Jay

We went to a B-Day party yesterday and I grabbed a quick close-up of the cupcake I was about to eat with the FE 85mm f/1.8 lens at the minimum focus distance

And here is a close-up of Layla at the party as well with the same lens... She was about 3 feet away so I know I'm pushing the theme of this challenge a bit here, but I figured it was worth sharing anyway.

Thanks for looking,
    Jay

Good pictures Jay. Sharp where it counts and beautiful soft bokeh on the FE 85mm. I wonder how the FE 90mm macro would compare for shots like this. Almost the same focal but 1.8 vs 2.8...

Would be curious to expand the details on the eyes. Maybe that would be "macro" territory.

Regards,

Stef

Hardcore Member
    I did photos of two items yesterday. One is a pencil sharpener ( the globe) and the other is a slinky. (a slinky is a toy for those who may wonder).

Name:  globe2).jpg
Views: 223
Size:  199.2 KB

Name:  slin).jpg
Views: 221
Size:  306.8 KB

Name:  slinki).jpg
Views: 227
Size:  209.1 KB

Mike

Hey Mike, good depth of field control on the globe.

The first slinky is the one I prefer; interesting shape and nice composition. The reflections add depth as well.

Until I find another subject, here is another snowflake... a bit broken though.

Cold artifact by Stef, on Flickr

Taken with an A6500 and vintage Tamron SP 90mm/2.8 manual/vintage macro lens at f/5.6 if I remember well.

Cheers everyone,

Stef

Hardcore Member
    Thanks Stef. Enjoying your snow flakes and icey shots. I will have to try that here in Ohio as long as I can myself to brace for the cold.

Mike

Excellent slinky and globe captures Mike!

Really impressive snow flake captures, and this really makes we long for a Macro lens again The snow is here!

Just a close-up snapshot with the amazing 3D smooth bokeh producing beast: Sony FE 100mm f/2.8 STF OSS Lens via the A7rII:

I have to agree that the bokeh is really smooth on this last one Jay... Like you're saying, has a 3D look. And the overall subject is crystal clear.

Well done!

Stef

Probably a last post before Christmas...

Have you ever looked at your car up close? I mean really looked?

The first picture in this set is a headlight bulb in its parabolic housing; easy enough to see. The second image though is probably a bit more difficult... can you guess what this is?

Headlight by Stef, on Flickr

What is this? by Stef, on Flickr

Both pictures taken with a Tamron SP 90mm/2.8 vintage macro lens adapted to an A6500.

Merry Christmas to all...

Cheers!

Stef

The Macro Challenge is one I like.
    I thought it would be better for all my friends from over seas as this is a $5.00 note.
    So you know what you are looking at.
    This is the eye of the Queen of England, and I thought I should put a picture of her so you know where it came from.
    This isn't exactly a macro as I used the revers ring to get in real close.
    I hope that this is still okay .

Attachment 5859

Attachment 5860
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200

Plus some Filters

The slinky has got a good effect on it I think.

Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200

Plus some Filters

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    This isn't exactly a macro as I used the revers ring to get in real close.
    I hope that this is still okay .
    Using a reverse ring attachment is perfectly valid for macro work in my eye. Likewise for using extension tube(s) or even special front-filters. How you get increased magnification is not that important. A macro lens is just a more all-in-one generalized method.

Good results Gramps!

Cheers

Hardcore Member
    I found these two items (Christmas ornaments) the other day and thought I would give them a try.

Name:  h7a.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  256.1 KB

Name:  h10.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  196.2 KB

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MWright222 View Post
    I found these two items (Christmas ornaments) the other day and thought I would give them a try.
    Great results Mike; I like the glow and colors you got over the dark backgrounds.

Stef

Excellent photos everyone and I have know idea what that second image is Stef, but must guess some kind of reflector component to something? lol

Thanks for sharing everybody!

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    ... idea what that second image is Stef, but must guess some kind of reflector component to something?
    Great aim Jay!! Actually a close-up of the reflector on the outside of the front turn signaling light. That thing is really shinny, I had to position myself carefully to grab this shot. I was quite amazed at the internal structure.

Stef