Thread: Coin Collection

Coin Collection

Over the years I have collected a number of coins.
    Some of them have been bought from the Royal Australian Mint and these have a higher price on them.
    Though at the moment I am missing one of the authentication forms but it has to be somewhere.
    But I would out the value of them close to $500 au.
    Then I have got hard to get coins which some can be up to 3 time the value of them.
    I have about $1,300 to $1,500 in those assorted coins.

It got me thinking as much as I like to collect coins I like photography to.
    And I do get more enjoyment out of take a phot here and there.
    But with the coins you either buy them or find them in your loose change.
    You look at them them put them away and they then are sort of forgotten about.
    But I think I can tell you about most of my coins.

So now I am really thinking of selling all my coins to get a few more things for my photography.
    Like that fast lens to start to get some star burst shot which I would love to have a go at.
    Then to one section which I want to have more of a go at and it a 90mm macro lens.
    That lens will stop my wife from dragging me away for spiders as she hate me getting too close to them.
    But I do it as my macro lens is one where you have to get close. So that would be the next lens.
    Now this brings me to one last thing I think I personally need and that is a better electronic shutter release.
    Then I think all I will need will be a new camera in a few years as time.
    So I think this in my plan for the rest of 2117.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

I have been down that road before, and I don't think you will regret selling a few coins to help fuel your more rewarding photography hobby at some point you might want to sell some lenses to help fuel a new future hobby. It's a good way to keep you busy with maximum fun in this short life I would say...

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

It all came to me one day and I thought it seemed like a good idea.
    Here in Australia we have got a number of coins that for the lack of a better term special coins.
    Some of the theme ones can be quite a lot of money.
    For isnstand a normal $1.00 coin which is called the Mob Of Roo's which as said is the common coin.
    Though in this coin if you are lucky you can have a blob of metal in places where it shouldn't be called CUDS.
    Then there are one called the 3 legged Roo and some of these are and can go for far more than face value.
    I have quite a lot of rareish coins like only 1. 4 million coins were released into circulations, these are also up to 3 times face value.
    So I hope to get rid of them all the get what I have put up.
    I know I wont really miss them but will get far more fun out of what I will get in their place.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200

Plus some Filters

Hardcore Member
    The two hobbies are quite different so it is hard for anyone to say how much fun you derive from either. I collected coins when I was a youngster (mostly buffalo nickels). My brother and I would go to store on main street and ask the clerk to look in their cash drawer to see if the had any and many times they did and we would do an even exchange. Somehow we never spent the collection on anything frivolous or on impulse and still have the collection today. Funny thing is I do not think the collection is really worth much. I wish I had all my NY Yankee and Detroit Tiger baseball cards from the 60s. If i had to choose though between coins and photography equipment, I would probably go for the latter. Photography is more active and a participation type of hobby. It requires technical skills, creativity, and an artistic abilities. It still ends up being an individual choice.
    Gear: Sony A6000, Canon T5i, Zeiss 16mm-70mm, various Canon lenses, PS Elements, various Topaz plug ins.

Mike

Great reply Mike as you know what both sections are like.
    At the moment I am getting these things called 2x2's and they are cardboard rectangles with holes punched into them and then a clear plastic is put on it.
    When you put the coin in and staple the thing in there its protected. You can get the self adhesive ones but I have heard of the glue reacting to the coin.
    I have got some coins I really like but once they are there you hardly look at them.
    While with photography I have found it to be far more enjoyable.

Places such as here where you can post up shots makes you look back at what you have taken.
    Facebook pages where they run a theme are ones that let you go way back and find a shot you know will fit.
    And I really enjoy taking photos. For instance the moon.
    You go out take the few shot and download them and then you hit a top shot and it makes you smile (well for me it does).

So yes once I have got all my lose coins I will start to sell them.
    And all I have to do is know what is a fair price to sell it for.

Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200

Plus some Filters

And I have been selling some photography gear to buy coins, such as this one:

the HepKitty from Hepcat City.

I knew you collected coins Miss Lucille, but I didn't know you sold lens to get some of them.
    I am going to go the opposite, but I need to have them all in order.
    As no one will look at them being all mixed up.
    My biggest share of coins are from change. As here we have got coins that came out for special reasons.
    And some can be worth quite a good lot. Like the one they call the Wavey.
    Its a 20 cent coin and the base of the 2 has got a raise in it and these are worth over $200 on its own.
    Our new dollars which is called the Mob of Roos well one roo lis missing a leg and is called the 3 Legged Roo.
    There is a 10 cent released in 2011 and they only released a little over a million as these become rare.
    So just in change coins I have got a lot of money.
    I have 4 things I really want. 2 lens a 2x converter and an electronic shutter release.

Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200

Plus some Filters