Thread: A7r A7 II sensor cleaning

A7r A7 II sensor cleaning

I have an A7r and A7 II. I want to start at least basic sensor cleaning myself, cause these cameras get dirty fast and frequent professional cleaning gets expensive and time-consuming. The Sensor Gel Stick for Sony ( https://photographylife.com/product/...tick-for-sony/) looks good for first-generation Sony mirrorless cameras but I'm hesitant about using it with second-generation bodies with IBIS, since those sensors apparently move around when you clean them. On the video I saw, the gel stick sticks to the sensor pretty tight and you have to use some force to pull it off (possibly damaging the IBIS mechanism?). Does anyone here use the Sensor Gel Stick for Sony? If so, do you like it? It got a rave review here: http://blog.michaelclarkphoto.com/?p=2915. Does anyone have another method of dry sensor cleaning you like (especially for bodies with IBIS and non-stationary sensors)? I'm looking to start with dry cleaning methods first. Maybe move on to wet cleaning later, but for now if dry cleaning wouldn't work I'd probably go to professional cleaning then. Thank you for any advice you can offer.

I remember reading that somebody damaged Sony sensor with that brand, DPReview forum or something like that.
    I use Dust-Aid brand, it is similar set up but it is not as sticky. I used it on my A55, A57 and A77II with IBIS and never had any problems.

Here is the video from Lensrental where they use Dust-Aid

Thanks. I'll check that out.

Awesome info Obelix, thank you!!

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

I found this helpful and it's focused specifically on the a7 cameras:

http://briansmith.com/5-simple-steps...nsor-cleaning/

The more I read the more I want to try something non sticky first. Arctic Butterfly brush sounds good.

It was good to see that I have got all the things in this clip and doing it correctly.
    Thanks from me on posting up this information it will prove to be more than helpful for many others to.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters