Thread: General ISO question across the Sony Cameras.

Elite Member

General ISO question across the Sony Cameras.

I have always been curious by the comment "ios upgradable too...." and a value.

Ok , I think about this and move on , it seems very self explanatory.

But HOW do you upgrade your camera to a larger ISO if that feature is available...(see it on A series a bit on the sales material.)

Alos can the a6000 be upgraded so it has iso 50 etc.

Just interested too know....curiosity got the better of me today
    Camera : Sony A6000
    Sony Lens : FE 90mm f/2.8 G OSS Macro , 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS, 10-18mm f/4 OSS ultra wide,FE 16-35mm f/4 OSS ZA Lens
    Sigma Lens : 30mm f/2.8 DN

500 px : https://500px.com/stevemeier

This will be interesting to see what answers you get.
    I have no idea but I have got a wide range of ISO from 50 to I think somewhere to 6300.
    Sony A77.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

ISO is just the measurement of the sensor speed as it relates to film and is part of the exposure triangle. ISO is just a tool to help you get the shutter speed where you want it for the desired effect. ISO 50 and lower are considered luxury numbers sometimes, because of the slower shutter speed you can get. Often important for water if not using an ND filter for example. Also, can be applicable to using flash units that are two powerful and all the way down. Lowering the ISO controls the flash along with aperture.

Upgrading ISO usually means expandable to higher and lower levels and/or slightly more accurate results. This could come from firmware updates as an example.

I made this illustration a while back to help those still learning the exposure triangle and manual mode shooting:

I hope that helps??

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Elite Member
    yeah but how......the A series say its upgradable...but even the all knowing google has next to nothing on the process to upgrade it....looking at sony websites...is like looking in a dark cave for a piece of rock with etchings on it......still curious
    Sony Lens : FE 90mm f/2.8 G OSS Macro , 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS, 10-18mm f/4 OSS ultra wide,FE 16-35mm f/4 OSS ZA Lens

Its just an algorithm to clean up the noise and different voltage to charge the sensor ISO power. Upgrading could just mean changing those values. Its not possible to physically change the sensor, but changing the code can be an upgrade to the user for sure.

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Elite Member
    It must some how be related to sensor also.....if its appling voltage etc....and calculations to amp up the light response

Yes, the sensor voltages may change. However, sensors only have a native ISO value. From their the voltage can go up and down which raises and lowers ISO. The native ISO is unknown as far as I can tell and individual to each sensor type.

Firmware updates can do a lot to manipulate a cameras functions and capabilities for sure! I remember when the A7 II got an update which made it able to focus much better with Canon lenses via the Metabones. I think what they did was allow for the PDAF to work with non native lenses. That was a firmware update that manipulated the sensors abilities technically. Although the sensor was already capable, clearly...

Other than that I am not aware of any upgrade that can be done regarding the ISO etc, without a physical change, which Sony is not doing as far as I know. From what I gather the upgrading ISO is just a marketing ploy, to make you think otherwise. Reality is firmware updates I believe...

Jay