Thread: Best Macro Lens to get ?

Best Macro Lens to get ?

If you look down at the bottom of this post you will be able to see the macro lens I have now.
    I like it but I will admit that it really isn't the best lens for me who is allergic the bees.
    And this lens I have to get in close to then to get the shot.

I am looking at the Tamron SP 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Lens that will fit my camera.
    Macro is one branch I want to learn a lot more about and I am hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction.
    And thank you all for you time.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    I am looking at the Tamron SP 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Lens that will fit my camera.
    Macro is one branch I want to learn a lot more about and I am hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction.
    Hi Gramps,

I own a previous generation of the lens you are considering and it is great. One advantage of the 90mm is that you can stand back a bit while you are focusing in compared to a 30mm. Some of my favorite and most appreciated shots were taken with a Tamron SP 90mm/2.8 lens. Can't go wrong with this.

Regards,

Can't go wrong with the Tamron SP 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Lens Gramps!! One of the best options for the money, hands down... Only lens I used that was better was the killer Canon 100mm f/2.8 L macro lens, and of course the Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 OSS G macro Lens, but those are not compatible with your camera.

One thing to note, the older Tamron 90mm macro lens changes physical size as you focus, while the new versions are all self contained. The lens doesn't grow in other words as you change focus. Just want to make sure you are aware if buying used for example...

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony Nex-6, 18-55mm, 55-210mm OSS Lens, 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Elite Member
    Its a pity the 90mm macro from sony, In e mount is not available in a version for you gramps as its fantastic...8-( not any help but but I have and luv this lens.

I also use it as a prime telephoto on landscapes and is great for that also.
    Camera : Sony A6000
    Sony Lens : FE 90mm f/2.8 G OSS Macro , 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS, 10-18mm f/4 OSS ultra wide,FE 16-35mm f/4 OSS ZA Lens
    Sigma Lens : 30mm f/2.8 DN

500 px : https://500px.com/stevemeier

With a more than thank you to you all for your directions on this.
    The Tamron lens was one I got the numbers of ebay and thought that it sounded okay.
    I will see if I can find a Youtubey thing on this lens to be a little more informed about it.
    The major point to it is to get my big fat head out of the way, as I mentioned about Bees and that.
    So I'm on the right track which is very pleasing. Now to try and be a puppy when I talk about it to the wife.
    Could I get a E to A mount converter maybe to keep this going a little longer.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200

Plus some Filters

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    Could I get a E to A mount converter maybe to keep this going a little longer.
    You can adapt A-mount lenses to E-mount bodies using Sony LA-EAx adapters. There are 4 different models, 2 for APS-C and 2 for Full-frame. I don't believe you can adapt E-mount lenses to A-mount bodies as you would need optics in the adapter to "fix" the short focus (flange) distance. You would also loose some optical quality. In practice there are more A lenses than E lenses so that also is a factor why there would not be a large market to go from E lenses to A bodies. Lastly A bodies future is a bit of a gamble in my opinion.

So if you get an A-mount macro lens, you could eventually switch it over to an A7 or A6x00 if those cameras are in your future. Auto focusing may not be optimal but then again in the macro world focusing is often a manual thing anyway.

Cheers,

Stef

Excellent points Stef, thanks!! The E-Mount lenses are not compatible with A-Mount cameras to be clear. A-Mount lenses can be used on the E-Mount cameras however, as you said via the Sony LA-EA3 or LA-EA4 lens adapters...

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony Nex-6, 18-55mm, 55-210mm OSS Lens, 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Before getting a Sony A6000, I had for many years used Canon DSLRs, my latest being a 70D. Among my canon lenses was the Macro 100mm 2.8L IS USM lens. This is a superb macro lens. I tried it on th A6000 using a Comlite adaptor, however, this was not terribly successful, with a lot of 'hunting' and very slow to lock on. However, using manual focus there was no problem. With the Sony's MF system, focussing was rapid and accurate, and the exposure was spot on. In my experience, macro photography is in the main part manual focus. With automatic focus it is so easy to get te desired focus point wrong. So if anyone has the Canon lens, use it.

I used that Canon lens and must agree it is exceptional in all areas

Here is one shot I got with that Canon 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro Lens I was very happy with...

Jay

Thanks everyone for your input on this and I will say I am happy with what has been for forwards.
    I will try to get the 90mm that will fit right on to my camera as I don't want to muck about with adapters and stuff.
    I think I have got the wife almost ready to get me a lens after the trouble I had with my bag.

Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200

Plus some Filters

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I used that Canon lens and must agree it is exceptional in all areas

Here is one shot I got with that Canon 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro Lens I was very happy with...
    I would be happy too! That is an outstanding picture. Must have been interesting to set up...

Regards