Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sigma E-Mount 30mm f/1.4 DC DN Lens Review

Sigma E-Mount 30mm f/1.4 DC DN Lens Review

Brandon was recently asking about the newer Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC DN Lens that is now available for Sony E-Mount. It's a crop factor lens designed for the A6000/ A5000 style camera bodies, which helps make the price point relatively low @ $339 US.

I found an excellent review by my friends over at Mirrorless Lessons/ Mathieu Gasquet on youtube...

High Res Sample Photos from the review are here: http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2016/05...e-mount-aps-c/

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony Nex-6, 18-55mm, 55-210mm OSS Lens, 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Great review, but the the lens is a bit too costly new, considering one can purchase the Sony SEL35F18 with stabilization NEW for only 50 dollars more. And used one for about $300.
    Not to mention the Sigma art 30mm new for $170
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

Quote Originally Posted by OldNoob View Post
    Great review, but the the lens is a bit too costly new, considering one can purchase the Sony SEL35F18 with stabilization NEW for only 50 dollars more. And used one for about $300.
    Not to mention the Sigma art 30mm new for $170
    You can't compare those lens price wise, as neither is a f/1.4, IMO $339 is dirt cheap for glass this fast.
    the HepKitty from Hepcat City.

Mine will be arriving today

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHealy View Post
    Mine will be arriving today
    Please let us know how it works for you. I've been thinking about this lens for awhile. Reviews kinda go both ways, depending on what is evaluated. Sony also has a 28mm/2 that seems interesting. Not the same speed but FE coverage.

Yeah, I'm curious about your thoughts on this lens as well. I was thinking about getting it when I get the A6500 for review, because it is the best option for speed at that focal range and price point in my opinion. At least on paper.... Real world can be a totally different story though. Usually when you see reviews that are all over the place it means the lens is not the greatest, or the production of the lens is not consistent. All the other DN lenses I have reviewed though, and they were overall excellent I thought. We shall see...

Thanks,

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony Nex-6, 18-55mm, 55-210mm OSS Lens, 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Well first shot with it and me looking for a different angle of that bridge . Not sure I'm experienced enough to offer a valid opinion on the lens really

DSC00470 by Darren Healy, on Flickr

Based on that frame Darren, I would say it's at the very least a good lens Great photo as well! Cool angle of the bridge and s-curve composition going on. Flickr says f/10 and the sharpness looks great to me in this frame at that aperture.

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more...

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Based on that frame Darren, I would say it's at the very least a good lens Great photo as well! Cool angle of the bridge and s-curve composition going on. Flickr says f/10 and the sharpness looks great to me in this frame at that aperture.

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more...

Jay
    Thanks Jay , i'll do my best

Elite Member
    luv the shot and composition...because lights of car dont go all the way road wise...try an edited out shot of those.....bit distracting how the just end.
    Camera : Sony A6000
    Sony Lens : FE 90mm f/2.8 G OSS Macro , 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS, 10-18mm f/4 OSS ultra wide,FE 16-35mm f/4 OSS ZA Lens
    Sigma Lens : 30mm f/2.8 DN

500 px : https://500px.com/stevemeier

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    luv the shot and composition...because lights of car dont go all the way road wise...try an edited out shot of those.....bit distracting how the just end.
    DSC00469 by Darren Healy, on Flickr

Did you add the car lights to the original frame? Otherwise, incredible editing work removing them, wow! I like it better with the lights Totally subjective when it comes to this sort of thing, as it is distracting, but for whatevrr reason I like the added element....

Jay

Did you add the car lights to the original frame? Otherwise, incredible editing work removing them, wow! I like it better with the lights Totally subjective when it comes to this sort of thing, as it is distracting, but for whatevrr reason I like the added element.... Jay
    Like you said, this is subjective. I prefer the second version and I agree the editing is great, including the light glow aspects, etc. Initially, I didn't even see those lights, I was way more intrigued by the bridge ditching down. Disturbing but creative perspective.

When you continue testing the lens, try to go towards the wider apertures, i.e. f/2 and wider. This is the acid test on a lens this fast. And if you can comment on focusing speed, hunting, low light response, flaring, that sort of things.

Good stuff!
    Stef (leuius is latin for more light)
    Using:
    Sony A6000 + A6500
    (Native E-mount)
    * Sony: 16-50mm | 16-70mm/4.0 | 55mm/1.8 | 55-210mm * Samyang: 12mm/2.0 * Trioplan 50/2.9
    (Adapted to E-mount from SR | C/Y | AD2 | M42 lenses)
    * Minolta: 24mm/2.8 | 45mm/2.0 | 50mm/1.4/1.7/2.0 | 85mm/2.0 | 135mm/2.8/3.5 | 35-105mm
    * Tamron: 28mm/2.5 | SP 90mm/2.8 macro | SP 35-80mm * Tokina: RMC 500mm/8.0 | ATX 100-300mm/4.0
    * Pentax: 50mm/1.4 * Vivitar Series 1: 70-210mm * Soligor: 85-205mm/3.8

I wish i could edit that well but the 2nd was a frame i fired off after the car was there . I'll try this week to get something at the wide end for you guys

Ok just took 6 shots . Tripod mounted , first 3 wide open from approx 4 feet .
    1. focussed on bus 2. on large dog head . 3 on eye of teddy .
    4.5,and 6 same focus in reverse but at f1.7 .
    Focus seems instant to me . No editing etc , Jpegs straight from camera using a remote . Hope this helps

DSC00552 by Darren Healy, on Flickr

DSC00553 by Darren Healy, on Flickr

DSC00554 by Darren Healy, on Flickr

DSC00555 by Darren Healy, on Flickr

DSC00556 by Darren Healy, on Flickr

DSC00557 by Darren Healy, on Flickr

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHealy View Post
    DSC00469 by Darren Healy, on Flickr
    Luv it great frame and good editing....

Both frames are good...but luv this one very moody....especially with blown bulb in front light pole
    Sony Lens : FE 90mm f/2.8 G OSS Macro , 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS, 10-18mm f/4 OSS ultra wide,FE 16-35mm f/4 OSS ZA Lens

Thanks for the review and sample images, looks like an amazing lens and a great value! If I didn't have this focal length covered already it would definitely be a top contender.

@DarrenHealy, awesome picture of the bridge! Almost looks like CGI its so sharp and clear.
    a3000 & a5000: Touit 12/2.8, 32/1.8, and 50/2.8, Sony 55-210

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Thanks for the review and sample images, looks like an amazing lens and a great value! If I didn't have this focal length covered already it would definitely be a top contender.

@DarrenHealy, awesome picture of the bridge! Almost looks like CGI its so sharp and clear.
    Thanks very much

Luv it great frame and good editing....

Both frames are good...but luv this one very moody....especially with blown bulb in front light pole
    Its an incredible structure and my Dad was brought up in the village at the north side of it so i kind of feel drawn to it

Excellent "lab" test photos and based on those images I can say with reasonable confidence the lens is pretty awesome! I can see noticeable distortion on the horizontal dresser or cabinet, but other than that, which is understandable considering the focal length, it looks awesome! Buttery bokeh rendering and no other noticeable lens flaws visible to me.

Thank you for taking the time to snap those shots and excellent test for those in the market looking...

Jay

Excellent "lab" test photos and based on those images I can say with reasonable confidence the lens is pretty awesome! I can see noticeable distortion on the horizontal dresser or cabinet, but other than that, which is understandable considering the focal length, it looks awesome! Buttery bokeh rendering and no other noticeable lens flaws visible to me.

Thank you for taking the time to snap those shots and excellent test for those in the market looking...

Jay
    I'm pleased with the lens and in love with the camera

Here is another quality review of the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC DN Lens courtesy of my friend John Sison

Jay

Elite Member
    I am still so jealous we dont have a bridge like that in my country...8-(

Elite Member

Jay
    Yep its there but easily fixable with PS warp tool....or PS wide angle lens options if no lens profile available yet

I am still so jealous we dont have a bridge like that in my country...8-(
    No, but you seam to have the most gorgeous landscapes ever and no snakes if I'm not mistaken?

Jay

That bridge shot is one I would love to have in one of my folders.
    The different stages of focus is an interesting look and I found it informative.
    So a thumbs up for the lens but I don't think it will go on my A77.
    Good thread.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

No, but you seam to have the most gorgeous landscapes ever and no snakes if I'm not mistaken?

Jay
    At the moment guys its 05.57 very very windy and there is snow on the ground and worst of all I have to leave for work in 35 minutes
    Flying to Barbados in 6 weeks to do a cruise , can't wait i hate the cold weather .
    One thing i love about photography forums is seeing what others have to take photos of in their country

Elite Member

Jay

yep great scenery.....but no decent bridge......

Went out to watch a local band on Saturday night so decided to give the A6000 + Sigma 30mm a go . Pleased with the results in low and changing light .
    Focus was snappy at all times 1/100 th f1.4 iso 400
    DSC00672 by Darren Healy, on Flickr

1/100th f2.5 iso 3200

DSC00735 by Darren Healy, on Flickr

Elite Member
    great shots really nice....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast