Thread: DIY camo lens sleeve

DIY camo lens sleeve

DIY camo lens sleeve

Disclaimer*
    1.This is in no way to be compared to the quality of the camo sleeves that can be purchased at B&H or Adorama.
    2. Try this at your own risk.
    3. Nothing's written in StOne until you're GOne

What you will need:

1. a $4. dollar cotton camo t-shirt ( you can be weather smart and spend a tad more for a Nylon T shirt)
    2. a $3. dollar tube of Beacon Fabri-Tac fabric cement. This stuff is awesome, dries quickly, remains flexible, and bonds just about anything. ( and unlike hot glue, it won't melt the foam or leave your fingertips screaming in sensitivity.)
    3. a $2. dollar pack of Velcro (when is it not a good time for velcro???)
    4. a $1. dollar large sheet of craft foam. It can be any color. (i just choose black because, like Johnny Cash, it fits my uber happy, cheerful personality.-_-)
    5. a can of spray adhesive. You'll always find a use for this. I can't remember how much it costs (because glue fumes are awesome! 0~o)

Step 1
    Grab some paper and make some templates by wrapping it around the lens in the areas you want covered. Be careful to make sure to give a little extra diameter to your template so you can make corrections later. ( because doing accurate math to make for less work would just be crazy)

Step 2
    Once you have the foam sheets cut out using the templates you made go ahead and cut out the fabric from the shirt leaving about a 12mm on the sides to fold over the foam. Make some alignment marks of the corners of the foam this will help later when mating the foam to the fabric.

Step 3
    Spraying on the adhesive. Lay the cut piece of camo face down on a disposable surface and apply even coats. Spray straight down, do not spray the glue at an angle.
    *IMPORTANT* Do NOT reuse the paper or cardboard mat!. Make sure you have fresh paper or cardboard behind each fabric piece you spray glue (unless you are some sort of masochist who enjoys self imposed grief, cursing and everything being sticky)

Step 4
    Quickly lay the foam onto the glued cloth on a flat surface using the alignment marks you made earlier. Be careful not to stretch out the fabric.
    On curved pieces, cuts in the fabric edges may be needed to allow the edges to be folded over without stretching.
    *IMPORTANT* Do not pull the fabric tight when folding it over the backside of the foam. Cotton, and other things, tend to shrink as they age or after they get damp (insert "That's what she said!" comment here)

Step 5
    After the sides of the fabric have been folded over use the fabric glue to glue down a strip of Velcro to one end of the camo section. Do NOT glue the other velcro side yet.
    Take the camo section and rap it around the corresponding area on the lens and make a mark where the other velcro strap should be placed. be careful not to make it too snug.

Step 6
    Once you have the pieces of camo sleeving completed let the glue cure for about an hour before putting them on the lens. Putting the sleeves on the lens too soon may result in the velcro winning over the glue in the bonding war.

You can use what is left of the shirt to cover the whole camera and lens while in a blind or in the field.
    And possibly some sort of moister repellent could be applied to the camo sleeves to make them more weather resistant.
    Last edited by OldNoob; Dec 3 2016 at 02:49 PM.
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

Wow that is some super impressive work! I'd say it's better than the ones you could buy, cause you made it yourself and it looks really great to me. I know what your saying though

Thanks for for sharing the step by step as I love to see how things are made, and human creativity in general. Again, great job.

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony Nex-6, 18-55mm, 55-210mm OSS Lens, 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

I have made something quite close to this and I am yet to use it but I know I have got it.
    Mine is not as neat at your one so on that part well done.
    Amd I think every camera bag shold have one to suit their camera.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters