Thread: Do you use photoshop CC? help wanted

Angry Do you use photoshop CC? help wanted

can any one tell me what happens if you cancel you CC subscription , but still have the previous versions of lightroom and photoshop before CC on your pc?

can you still access your images and your raw data images ?

are they still on your pc as before CC?

what stops working if you cancel your subscription to the cc software?

I assume something will no longer work, but what?

Does the CC version import all my setting from my current version, user profiles, brushes and so on?

pre purchase jitters and worries here!!
    Last edited by adwb1949; Oct 13 2016 at 12:03 PM.

Great Question. I have wondered that as well since it's basically "renting" software
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

Elite Member
    i see no benefit for me in going to this and am staying with cc versions I have of lightroom and PS.

They do everything I need and more.....that outways....anything they can give.
    Camera : Sony A6000
    Sony Lens : FE 90mm f/2.8 G OSS Macro , 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS, 10-18mm f/4 OSS ultra wide,FE 16-35mm f/4 OSS ZA Lens
    Sigma Lens : 30mm f/2.8 DN

500 px : https://500px.com/stevemeier

Software is a funny thing. I have an artist friend who still uses a 1997 version of Corel Draw to edit her photos, and she swears by it.
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

I have got Photoshop cs6 and it is the full program.
    When I heard about this, it was what has been said you are only renting it and Photoshop make a good little fortune out of it.
    So I would really look to buy the program and stick the renting of it.
    I know this hasn't helped any but I think its a clever ploy by them.
    I am looking at getting Lightroom as the full program as I want to have a go at this RAW thing and that seems to be the best for it.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

What I was told (take it with a grain of salt, I have never tried it) is that if you stop paying for Lightroom CC, you can still access the files that you worked on prior but you can no longer use the development module. But if your non-CC version is older, it may have problems understanding the newer engine settings (i.e. the XMP file contents may not make sense).

As far as Photoshop is concerned, I have no idea but it may work in read-only/demo mode (you can't save any more work).

I am not a fan of software "rentals", I would rather pay for perpetual licenses up-front and avoid issues such as this. I hate it when a company "hijacks" my data.

There are alternatives to LR and PS. Capture One is a great tool, at least equivalent (better in my experience) to LR and very affordably priced (free for the Express version, around $50 for the full thing) for Sony users. Gimp is a free software that is Photoshop-alike. If you save your file in a standard format from PS, Gimp can normally open them. Don't go crazy with weird layers and fusion modes though.

Your mileage can definitely vary on this...

Good luck.

(double post)
    Last edited by OldNoob; Oct 16 2016 at 04:36 PM.
    Peacock Designs

Quote Originally Posted by leuius View Post
    What I was told (take it with a grain of salt, I have never tried it) is that if you stop paying for Lightroom CC, you can still access the files that you worked on prior but you can no longer use the development module. But if your non-CC version is older, it may have problems understanding the newer engine settings (i.e. the XMP file contents may not make sense).

As far as Photoshop is concerned, I have no idea but it may work in read-only/demo mode (you can't save any more work).

I am not a fan of software "rentals", I would rather pay for perpetual licenses up-front and avoid issues such as this. I hate it when a company "hijacks" my data.

There are alternatives to LR and PS. Capture One is a great tool, at least equivalent (better in my experience) to LR and very affordably priced (free for the Express version, around $50 for the full thing) for Sony users. Gimp is a free software that is Photoshop-alike. If you save your file in a standard format from PS, Gimp can normally open them. Don't go crazy with weird layers and fusion modes though.

Your mileage can definitely vary on this...

Good luck.
    Yep Indeed and you can get CaptureOne free for Sony cameras
    As well as Rawtherapee. There are plugins for the new sony raw files.
    And Gimp is very powerful now with a lot of user composed plugins
    Peacock Designs