Thread: Pretty slow lately on the forum....

Cool Pretty slow lately on the forum....

It's summer time and with all the crazy stuff going on in the world I'm finding it hard to concentrate on anything for very long. I currently don't have any equipment for review and I must say it's nice to take a little break I just updated the forum to a new patch and I had over 200 fake registrations to go through. Sorry if I deleted any legit ones, but they all seamed like similar IP's. Please just send me an email or private message if you are having any issues...

As far as life goes, it's pretty hard to find a balance between work, play, and purpose. I go through these cycles for sure and right now I am really struggling with what this is all about. Why are we really here and what are we supposed to be doing in this limited time we have? The more I learn the more it seams like we are actually living in the matrix or something. Everything is so crazy from politics, to war, to technology advancing, and so on... I almost feel like I want to just turn everything off and just live for a while. No computer, no smart phone, no internet, ect... A total reset for the mind is what I think I might need. Not really sure how to do this in the real world, but that is the feeling I currently have for whatever reason...

I will be around, and I do have new gear coming soon, but in the meantime I plan on continuing my little break and concentrating on spending more time with my family. I want to get outside more and actually do some stuff in nature. I feel a strong pull in that direction, and I don't want to ignore my gut. I also feel like I should be preparing for something and I don't really know what or why. It's probably just all the crazy stuff I have seen on the news and internet, but I am not alone. Some people at my job have begun collecting water and other things for some reason as well. They also seam to have a feeling that something is coming, but what is the big unknown... It can't hurt to be prepared, but starting the process is almost admitting that either your crazy, or that you are seriously worried about something. Either way it's scary and I'm just at a loss. I feel like I woke up and the whole world is going crazy at almost every level. Life is almost surreal to me when I look around these days and I keep thinking, why am I doing this exactly? For what purpose?

Like I said earlier, I go through these cycles and will snap out of this at some point. I just wanted to let you all know that I am still here, even if it seams like I am a ghost lately

Catch up with you all later and please be well my friends,

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

"200 fake registrations" wow How do you know they are fake? Ad spamming or something?
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

Hardcore Member
    Sometimes it's just best to downsize....
    I'll probably be turning off the pen blank website soon, 40hrs a week 'working' is enough....coming home to more 'stuff' is a pain and it gets in the way.

Think I read somewhere, "God didn't put us here to work all the time and be in debt." The debt part is easy, if I can't pay for it in cash....I don't get it. I have limited time....I'm going to enjoy what there is of it! Having to admin a forum puts a lot of pressure on a person, I admin on another forum and I must admit, it is way hectic with 22,500 members! My hat is off to you for running this place by yourself, and doing 'reviews and articles' too....WOW!

Scott (take a break if ya need to) B

Totally understand Jay. I just got back this week after being unplugged for 6 weeks. I was on a road trip vacation for 43 days and made a point not to pick up a newspaper. Probably caught a total of maybe a couple of hours TV for the entire time - that was mostly to check weather. I stayed away from the internet except 3 or 4 times to upload a few photos for friends and family and send them links with quick update of where I was. Did a lot of hiking and simple things that don't take money to do. Took a bunch of photos, but reviewed only a handful (meaning no time spent in front of a computer reviewing and editing).
    Anyway, I found this to be sort of mind cleansing experience and feel pretty much renewed. Since I got back, obviously I'm back at the computer, but my intention is to stay away from spending excessive time on it. Also, plan to limit my media intake from TV, Radio, & other sources of "news".
    Not that I want to stick my head in the sand, but I'm convinced that those in power, no matter what the political affiliation like to use fear to manipulate us. The media is their tool. The media is convinced that sensationalism and fear captures the audience, so that is what we're sold. Don't buy it. There are more normal and good folks than there are wackos, we just hear about the wackos over and over, so turn it off. When a friend or family member starts talking about the horror stories du jour, humor them slightly, but change the topic and try to re-focus the conversation on something positive or something you can actually do something about.

Anyway, think you're on the right track. You don't need to unplug for 6 weeks. However, maybe do it as much and as often as you can. Pull the plug and spend time with family and friends and enjoy nature, hobbies and the good things in the world. Don't buy into the fear others might be selling. The world's far from perfect, but the sky isn't falling either.

Ok, I'm off the soapbox & I'm glad to be back in the community, but if I stick with my intention, can't spend too much time here.
    take care,
    Willie

Elite Member
    Hi guys,

While not the oldest by a long shot here....I think we all do have those same moments Jay.

I am 45 in 2 weeks and had those moments the last month.....but have had those moments for years where you stop and think "is this it?....really"

I have had moments where I think should I change careers....been doing IT for 23 odd years...and I started in medicine...yes I was training to be a doctor.

The only think that makes me realise things are good.

My health, my luv'ed ones (friends , family, and partner)...and my new luv of photography...or me time.

I do luv my job but have gone as far as I could go with it....but am happy and enjoy it......so not going to change that unless I win the lottery and can spend all my time taking photos...which I would do...while travelling.

I guess what I am saying....maybe jay you need to have a break...but let some folks on here you trust post reviews of gear and tutorials and help.

Most of the camera websites sites seem to have a "boss" and others posting topics in their field of interest...and keeps things ticking over...so you can look over the virtual shoulder and have some me time as well...

Just a thought.
    Camera : Sony A6000
    Sony Lens : FE 90mm f/2.8 G OSS Macro , 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS, 10-18mm f/4 OSS ultra wide,FE 16-35mm f/4 OSS ZA Lens
    Sigma Lens : 30mm f/2.8 DN

500 px : https://500px.com/stevemeier

Hardcore Member
    Looks like we all share similar sentiments and thoughts. Time to concentrate on what we have and focus on only those things we can control. Limiting exposure to toxic stuff like TV news or toxic people is probably a good thing to do. Also, historically speaking life has been a lot more dire in previous generations. Attitude is always a matter of choice even in the worst conditions.

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of human freedoms - to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way." Viktor E. Frankl
    Gear: Sony A6000, Canon T5i, Zeiss 16mm-70mm, various Canon lenses, PS Elements, various Topaz plug ins.

Mike

Being totally serious and not wanting any of you poor bugger thing going on.
    But the reason to why I have not been here as much lately is down to my back again.
    We were supposed to got to see our sons middle daughter who was turning 3 years old.
    I was set to go but a couple of days before we were ready to go I was hit down with major back pain.'It was that bad that if I took in a deep breath it hurt like crazy.
    I was bed ridden for close to 2 weeks. So this even made me miss out on going to see my little Grandie on her borthday, the wife still went.
    She had to as we had booked a room and we would have still had to pay for it as it was too late to cancel.
    And I didn't want to be the grouchie old bugger so I stayed home. It was only by the day before the wife got home when the pain had lowered so I could do a few things.
    This is why I have been AWOL.
    And this also meant that no photo's were taken to. Also I hate winter even if its not half as bad as you get it, but its still too cold for me.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

Just coming back from 10 days vacation and it was worth disconnecting from the world, like Willie said. Total media blackout for me: no newspaper nor TV, just traveling and taking pictures when I felt like it (which was pretty often as it turns out - I was blessed with great weather and photo conditions). So if something "important" happened somewhere, I missed it.

It's a mixed feeling to come back. It's ok to return home and pick up on "normal" life activities but I wish I could extend this no-stress time. I totally get the general mood expressed in this thread. We all have a life to live and do it differently and with various constraints (health being the worst, gramps) but still we somehow connect to what is really meaningful and how we strive to be "good".

So Jay, hang in there. Use the time to appreciate your family and friends. And find the inner peace that ultimately becomes your next motivation to continue or reorient your course.

All the best to all,

Stef