Thread: Movie file format

Hardcore Member

Movie file format

Sony a7ii

Is there anyway to make the files .avi in camera?

Registax6 doesn't 'see' them. Registax6 is for stacking video frames of say the moon, or even Jupiter/Saturn. And it doesn't work with the 'standard Sony format'....so I'm looking for a way to either change the output file to .avi or even a freeware(non-virus having software) to convert the file. Anyone have any ideas?

Scott (can not edit a Sony format video file in LR CC2015 either) B

Sorry Scott there is no way to make the files .AVI on camera, but you can use .MP4 which you can directly upload to youtube as is. That format should work with your program.

Let me know,

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Hardcore Member
    I am trying to use the video file to get say a 1000-2000 frames of the moon, that I can use in a program called 'registax6'. It goes through the file and sort of the individual frames for only the best and then it stacks into one still frame.(whittled into a nutshell-sure its way far over my head to actually describe what it does)

I'm only concerned now whether or not converting a MP4 file into an AVI file with 'drop frames' or 'degrade them'. Got a few days to figure it out, as the Moon is only at 1% and setting right next to the Sun anyway.

Scott (easier then trying to press the shutter 2000 times making Jpegs) B

All video stills are low image quality, HD video is only 2MP still image.
    You would be better off with timelaps

Hardcore Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
    All video stills are low image quality, HD video is only 2MP still image.
    You would be better off with timelaps
    Not sure how to take a time lapse at the rate that I'd have to have?
    -The Moon changes size depending on where it is in the sky, the amount of atmosphere it is seen through, and even cloud/humidity that seeing allows.
    -I would like/need about 1000-2500 frames in under four minutes to keep from having to 'dump' frames due to the above'.

On a side note: I've obtained a Barlow and some 'new to me eyepieces'. With the Barlow installed, my optic is now 1200mm(but the f-stop suffers) f/15.....that'll increase the shutter time needed to capture On the plus side, I can image the Moon at 1.45arcseconds!(200x){True Field of View: 0.3°} That will be some serious detail, but I've got to be able to capture it quickly. If I can't do it with my a7ii, I'll probably end up getting into a cooled CCD monochrome using a Sony sensor and a filter wheel(set up for the 'hubble palate')

Scott (much smaller image though) B

I have got Leawo Video Converter Pro and I use that to converter files from AVI to MP$ and it will go the other way to.
    There is a trial one but I finally bought the one i use now and I have had no trouble, so it has to be easy.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

-I would like/need about 1000-2500 frames in under four minutes to keep from having to 'dump' frames due to the above'.
    Video is only option for this, 4K would be much better