Thread: Eyepiece projection is fun

Hardcore Member

Red face Eyepiece projection is fun

Moon is a fun subject. It's almost always there, and easy to line-up in the potic, even without a polar alignment...as tracking the ecliptic is wicked simple.

So...this is a no crop, full frame at ED80 with a 25mm Meade eyepiece:

Sort of boring, been there seen that....got no t-shirt.

Now, stuff a 10mm eyepiece into the holder, and BINGO!

Black-n-white

Cropped a bit and cleaned up in Lightroom

My next thing to do, when I get a free moment will be to take maybe 100 images in the same area and stack them in Registax6. I'll really need to try to figure out a focusing method that is 'better', as the atmosphere movement is difficult to predict, I'm hoping the stacking of that many more images will help the final image.....

Scott (thanks for looking) B

Great images Scott.

I don't get a chance to peer through a telescope as often as I used to but your images bring back memories. Your second shot in particular is excellent.

The alignment and stacking parts of Registax are fairly straight-forward. It's the wavelet de-noise that is really painful to figure out. I still haven't found a good recipe to this day.

You can also record a video to get a lot of images in a short time (i.e. 60 fps). Registax will identify the better samples but I typically exclude the first few and last seconds to disregard camera shake when pressing the video button.

Regards,

Stef

Hardcore Member
    I've read a little bit about the Registax6 stuff, and so far I'm looking at having to convert the video file from a Sony a7ii to just about anything else in order for the software to use it. That might be pretty straight forward to some, but I only see it as an additional expense, or worse....virus bound software that is 'free' on the interwebs. Either is something I really want.

I just did finish a mosaic of ten full frame shots in Lightroom, but I'm not totally pleased with the outcome....it all seems rather 'soft'. So instead of posting 'crapola', I'll try to find a better series of photo's and redo the post-processing.

Scott (need a better eyepiece too) B

Fantastic work Scott and thank you for sharing all the details and technical information for those curious The results speak for themselves! It's hard to pick a favorite....

Thanks again for sharing,
    Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

WOW! impressive! I'm getting in late on lunar photography, just starting. Ive been trying to get a good shot but the atmospheric refraction from rising heat (I guess) is really bad here. I'm wondering if maybe summer or early autumn would be better? Or if there is a time of night or weather condition that is best for lunar images?
    Last edited by OldNoob; Dec 3 2016 at 05:09 AM.
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

Now thats what I call getting close to the moon.
    Have to agree that its fun shooting the moon.
    So much more details in your shot that anything I have got.
    So more than well done on that.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters