Thread: General Shopping list

Elite Member

General Shopping list

Hi Folks,

I would like some suggestions on some gear to look at.

1) New camera bag
    2) Better tripod

3) computer screen for photo editing.....

They are in order of importance.

1) I have a good bag but unfortunately with a recent lens purchase I wont be able to fit it in.
    -(yes I know i could plan better ...but I am still learning as as a result I was 2.5 hours from home once and from planning and thinking I would not need a lens I had I left that at home...so based on that I take them all because it ended up I could have done with it......)

My current bag is a across the back and shoulder type arrangement so I can swing it to the front and take something out in a hurry , then flick it back when walking or climbing etc. I do like this design...but am by no means stuck to it its small and compact and for size has a lot of storage space.

2) tripod.--- I have found this to be the biggest issue as often standing in running fast water for shots. and the bit where the camera sits does not lock hard enough. ie with my a6000 and 90mm macro on it falls forward...now I know this is heavy lens and I might be out of luck on this bit and going to portrait the camera does not go level cause of head ball cock design.

Tripod needs to be able to small in size and light for travel locally and overseas(so can fit in international luggage....but strong and versatile....again might be dreaming.)

3) last but not least - I work in this space but would be interested to know what folks use for photo editing etc.(this one not too important or hurry)

I am basically after pros and cons and brands names of stuff to go look at....and what people think of stuff they have or have used or seen.

Open to all ideas and thoughts.

Cheers
    Steve
    Camera : Sony A6000
    Sony Lens : FE 90mm f/2.8 G OSS Macro , 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS, 10-18mm f/4 OSS ultra wide,FE 16-35mm f/4 OSS ZA Lens
    Sigma Lens : 30mm f/2.8 DN

500 px : https://500px.com/stevemeier

Few questions.
    What bag do you have now, what gear are you trying to fit in new one, is messenger bag design OK
    What tripod you have now, could you just replace head, does it have to be compact

Elite Member
    yep messenger bag is fine

Cannot replace head on tripod as looked into this.

Yes reasonably compact is important as walking and hopefully attached to bag or belt or something so hands free....light because of this but because of international travel.....and weight is important and space.

I not put brands down here just in case there are other products from the same company which may be very good and folks might think I dont want to consider them again...so I am looking as if I dont have ether items

have camera and lens as in signature and various filters and step rings and cloths for cleaning...notepad and little thing like that
    Sony Lens : FE 90mm f/2.8 G OSS Macro , 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS, 10-18mm f/4 OSS ultra wide,FE 16-35mm f/4 OSS ZA Lens

For tripod check out Amazon Basics carbon fiber tripod, all those small "travel" tripods look like they are made in same factory so why not get cheap one
    https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...n+fiber+tripod

Amazon Basics also have some affordable bags, including sling backpack like you described. I use Tamrac Rally 6 (for 4 1/2 years now) this is messenger style bag that can fit A77 II, Tamron 70-200 f2.8, sigma 17-50 f2.8, full size flash and lots of small stuff in 2 large pockets on the front. They have smaller sizes, I think would be better fit for your gear

Elite Member
    awesome thanks obelix...I will start to have a look and see what they got.

Look at Lowpro bags as they have a good range to suit so many different configuration and are not locked in as they are easy to move to where you want them.
    The tripod is something I am not real sure about but I just done what Obelix said and replaced the head on mine as I was happy with my tripod but with the 600mm lens on it I found the short comming of it.I found a head that will hold 20 kilos and it works well now.
    I would think you will find many say Lightroom but I don't have it and so know nothing about it.
    Though I do have Photoshop cs6 and I have found it meets what I need and even more.
    Not sure if this helps but either way its a little bit of info for you.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters