Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony FE 85mm f1.4 GM Lens - Testing Sample Photos

Sony FE 85mm f1.4 GM Lens - Testing Sample Photos

Hi guys!! I just received the NEW FE 85mm f/1.4 GM Lens and I can certainly tell you it is killer for sure I took a bunch of photos on the deck last night just to see what she could do and I was nothing short of blown away by the optical quality and that magic look this lens gives off. Have a look for yourself, and these were shot raw quality with only very minor adjustments made on a few, but pretty much straight off the camera. Edited, some of these photos would absolutely incredible I think. Anyway, I had to share these because I'm that impressed so far and only had the lens for less than a day...

Wide open @ f/1.4

f/2.8

f/8

back to f/1.4 and Jase's face was a mess from playing and what not...

A few more to come in a second...
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony Nex-6, 18-55mm, 55-210mm OSS Lens, 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

My girl, and again these are un-edited, so clearly I would normally clean up the face a bit if I were to show true potential, but I want you guys to see raw quality!

Bones Jones thru the gate fence and it just looks magical to me.

And lastley for now, our friend Helene is a dog lover just like us...

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony Nex-6, 18-55mm, 55-210mm OSS Lens, 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Advanced Member
    That depth of field!

Thanks for the comments SP The FE 85mm f/1.4 GM Lenscould be the best lens I have ever used, and that includes the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 L II Lens.....

A few more snapshots from the deck, and Jase clearly has a runny nose, but I liked the capture anyhow...

This one I cropped a little and added some contrast

Jay

I just spent about 5 minutes editing this photo and wow I am rusty in Photoshop let me tell you! I really don't do much portrait editing these days and forgot a bunch of tricks I used to be so proficient at It came out decent I would say... I plan on getting a real portrait with this lens in the studio and outside with off camera lighting etc... The lens is killer and I need an updated portrait of both the kids for sure!

Layla Snapshot by Jason, on Flickr

Thanks for looking,
    Jay

Best lens I ever used, it gets addicting. It also makes me wonder just how good the 70-200mm G master will be....

Nice shots..
    the HepKitty from Hepcat City.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Best lens I ever used, it gets addicting. It also makes me wonder just how good the 70-200mm G master will be....

Nice shots..
    Thanks Lucille for the comments and I totally agree! I have some really god Canon L lenses, and they don't compare to this bad boy, other than the 135mm f/2 L Lens. That sucker is similar in sharpness and killer bokeh, but ti does not have the same "look" that this lens has. It has that "something special" thing about it, that can't really be measured...

Jay

A few more shots with the killer FE 85mm f/1.4 GM Lens:

Screaming Eagle Fat Boy by Jason, on Flickr

Flowers or Weeds? by Jason, on Flickr

Bokeh Fun by Jason, on Flickr

Bokeh Fun by Jason, on Flickr

Thanks for looking,
    Jay

Beautiful lens, Jay. I've owned and used quite a few lenses over the years, but this one would have to be among the best of them.

Nice to see some of the images you've been getting. It just has a gorgeous look, even leaving aside the sharpness, DOF and bokeh. Love the colour and contrast, as perfectly exemplified by the first shot of flowers (in your OP) and the first Harley shot above.

Makes me just want to go out and shoot a Harley! : )
    ----------------------------------------
    Former Pentax, Nikon and Canon shooter
    Now a mirrorless convert with the advent of the Sony a7RII!

Thanks for the comments GhostWalker and I totally agree! Amazing optics on all levels for sure

Jay

How about a few Portrait style snapshots this time courtesy of the best 85mm lens I have ever used; The killer New Sony FE 85mm f/1.4 GM Lens, via my full frame Sony A7r.

Some very cute kids including Layla, form a awesome Graduation party we went to on Saturday.

The pool was heated and Layla pretty much stayed in the entire time we were there!

Thanks for looking,
    Jay

Sports Photography with the Sony A7r and Sony FE 85mm f/1.4 GM Lens?? Clearly the Sony A7r is not a sports oriented camera, but if you take your time and use the tool to your advantage, you can get some killer captures with any camera in my opinion. The trick with the slower A7r is to figure out the shutter lag timing and then snap the shot just before the "action" so the capture is where you want it to be. In my case it was about 1/2 a second before I would say. So I wanted the horse shoe leaving the hand, but still in the frame if possible. After a few tries I got it down really close and was actually surprised at my hit rate considering the slower camera. Using the Sony A6300 @ 11fps for example, would have made this extremely easy in comparison. The Sony A7r II would have also been much easier than the A7r, but if you know how to use your gear, it's possible with any camera assuming you have the light and shutter speeds to freeze the action.

The lens performed incredible and the super fast f/1.4 aperture kept the shutter speed fast enough without having to jack up the ISO.

The photos were taken at the same graduation party as the above sample portrait style images.

Horse Shoe Action:

KanJam Frisbee Game Action:

Basketball Action:

Thanks for looking,
    Jay

Here are two snapshots of Jase I took the other day and I really like the first one! He is a beast and makes this grrrrr sound when he wants to play ruff. Just look at that face!!

I did touch up the images a bit in Capture One Pro just to let you know. He had some gook on his face, and I added a vignette to help pull the eye towards the prize

My boy Jase take with the Sony A7r and killer Sony FE 85mm f/1.4 GM Lens

Thanks for looking,
    Jay

Very nice stuff!

Thank you Lucille

I stopped by that cool old bus I found a few weeks ago, and took a few depth of field play style test photos with the Sony FE 85mm f/1.4 GM Lens wide open @ f/1.4....

Thanks for looking,

Jay

Win!

What you show confirms what other far more technical reviews, full of charts and what ever , show.

Thanks for the real life images, it's the sort normal shots we would use it for ,not flawless models in New York streets, so to my mind a lot more use.m

So given the high price for the Sony 85 and the cheaper price of the undoubtably great Batis 85, do you think the higher cost realy justifies the extra speed?

I think the sharpness /resolution will be same, so, its all down to the tighter dof and the bokah rendition, I am having a hard time justifying the higher cost and weight for that?

It's a hard decisions, but the extra speed and better bokeh rendition is really what you are paying for in my opinion. Is it worth it? That is totally subjective and a personal decision my friend

Jay

Don't know why the duplicate post, apologies
    Last edited by adwb1949; Jul 22 2016 at 05:45 PM.

I would seriously like to test drive this one , but the only way is to order as nobody stocks it in the U.K.
    Mitakon Speedmaster 85mm f/1.2 ‘dream’ portrait lens

I'm a Newbie from Canada. This is my first post. In fact this is the first and only forum I'm a member of.

I've looked at several reviews of this lens and am quite interested. However, I have the A-mount Zeiss 135 1.8 and just love the quality of the pictures I get. The only issue is that it has to be adapted with the LEA4 and, as a result, slower to focus (even on the A7Rii) and doesn't have all the bells and whistles like eye AF. I know Jay also reviewed the 135 1.8 (I watched his video before buying it a few years ago), but I wonder if the 85 is so significantly superior that I should consider it. I know they have different focal lengths but both the 85 and 135 focal lengths are excellent portrait lenses.

Thoughts?

Pierre

Pierre,

Thanks for joining and I recognized your name straight away The Zeiss 135mm f/1.8 is an incredible lens and the FE 85mm is not really better, just different. It will work better because of the native mount and all, but optically the Zeiss is just as good I would say from my experience if not even slightly sharper. I agree they are both killer for portraits, but the 135mm is a bit more restricting for space at times. I find it better for head shots and what not unless outdoors with plenty of distance. The 85mm allows you to get significantly closer to your subject for full body shots and is better in some cases I would say. I think Sony will come out with a 135mm FE mount at some point hopefully sooner than later. It's a high demand lens for Pro's and using the adapter is far from ideal considering the speed and eye af for example as you mentioned.

Any other concerns that I might have missed? Also, please be sure to share some photos if you feel inclined as I would love to see your work!

Jay

The 85mm G Master is incredible, it has that magic sauce, some SERIOUS mojo, I couldn't imagine not having it in my bag. Yes Sony, give us a G Master 135mm.

Bokehlisious!
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

If that would fit on my camera I would seriously look at getting it, but I think it wont fit as my camera is an A mount.
    What a great lens to have in your kit.
    Just gotta add the thanks for the update of Bones and also to say your son looks like a boys boy and your daughter is a beautiful looking girl.
    Which has to be from her mother.
    Really like these shots you have taken to put it through its paces.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

Thanks for the comments everybody and Gramps in particular for the detailed complements on the kids I'm a very proud Dad and can't get enough of my children. They really are the world to me and I wish I could just stay home with them all day to learn and teach them the what I know etc.... They bring me such joy it is impossible to describe... Dogs are also amazing creatures of nature that I absolutely adore

Jay

Elite Member
    this is a wow lens ....the price suks.....here in New Zealand....which is sad.

Still an awesome lens and awesome pictures and awesome real world review...as usual Jay.

I do want one...but way too much at the moment.
    Camera : Sony A6000
    Sony Lens : FE 90mm f/2.8 G OSS Macro , 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS, 10-18mm f/4 OSS ultra wide,FE 16-35mm f/4 OSS ZA Lens
    Sigma Lens : 30mm f/2.8 DN

500 px : https://500px.com/stevemeier

Sangre de Cristo Mountains, Crestone, CO USA
    I recently obtained the 85mm f/1.4 and already love it. Super sharp resolution and so far the AF has been spot on. However I am having a problem and would like your (or anyone's) advice to correct this. When on my A7RII its motor keeps searching for the focus, even if I am looking in the menu (i.e. not only when I am pressing the shutter halfway). I also have the 24-70mm f/2.8 G Master and it doesn't do this (same settings on the camera). This constant searching is both noisy and annoying, especially since it uses considerable battery. If I throw the AF-MF switch on the lens that shuts this off, but if I need to always do this it is a real bother. Probably I made some mistake in the settings or on the lens so if you could help me out I would very much appreciate it.

Do you have pre-af turned on? Camera fully updated with latest firmware?

I agree it's a great lens,
    Jay

Sangre de Cristo Mountains, Crestone, CO USA
    OMG Jay, you nailed it on the first strike of your insightful hammer. Why that Pre-AF would cause such a drastic "running around" with the 85mm lens but hardly activate (and certainly never be bothersome) with any other lens is a mystery to me. Anyway makes me (rightly!) feel like an idiot for not being able to figure it out myself.
    Thanks so much for your patience. Always appreciate your advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast