Thread: Lucille the HepKitty. Total knee replacement.

Lucille the HepKitty. Total knee replacement.

Me and Lucille have walked in all 4 corners of the State of New Mexico (and the Western US) capturing images. Its what we do.

I am amazed by her, how simple she makes it all seem. I am the one that can get very technical and put a lot of thought into a shoot/scene, while Lucy simply takes a quick look and raises her camera and fires. She seems to make decisions in seconds that takes me minutes. I admit I sometimes watch her and think that there is no way she is going to get a decent image only to be blown away by what she captures... She seems so innocent and blends in as some one who probably doesn't know much, walking around with tiny cameras, a point and shoot person..

Lucille in Tucumcari

Over the years she has been complaining of knee pain, only to be told by her doctor she has really bad arthritis, and her knee is bone on bone... This didn't stop her from dancing, walking, doing what she loves. I have often said I see a passion in her images. I have learned much from her over the years.

She got several injections of a foam in her knee which kept her going, but the knee kept deteriorating and got to the point where the Dr. told her she will break her knee cap at any given moment. The next option became total knee replacement.

That happened on April 18th.

Lucille and me moments before they wheeled her away to surgery

We believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, and prayed, and off she went.

The surgery which was performed by a leading Sports Doctor was a success, Lucille had her new knee and now faces a long road to recovery. She was up and walking the day of the surgery.

This next image was her 1st physical therapy session a week after the surgery:

I had several paid events I had to cover without her and it really sucked, though I did ok and the clients were happy and didn't notice. One was a wedding. Now trust me folks, there is some pressure when doing a wedding, as you can't screw this up, to do it WITHOUT Lucille was a bit nerve racking, I realized how much of a security blanket Lucille has been to me, when she is with me covering a event I know it will get covered and I know she will capture special moments, in any lighting situation, in any environment, she is our Star, she is responsible for the look to our files. She doesn't work like most professionals would, she has a way of bonding with a client and making them feel so comfortable, she is never nervous and has a confidence about her. We have had some personal photography 'shoot outs' so to speak with other talented photographers, and I remember her telling a group of them "Who is going to come in 2nd?"... It isn't a arrogance, it is a confidence. I have seen photographers dismiss her when they see her with a tiny point and shoot and THEY have the big DSLR's and the pro look. Then when its time to showcase the files she routs them as she has talent, and that little tiny point and shoot happened to be a RX1R II. Lucille goes against the grain, she marches to the beat of a different drum, if you tell her she can't do it, she does it.

Last week she just had to get out and shoot. But she can't get around to much with the walker. She just had to shoot something, so we took a road trip with several local car clubs so Lucille could get her 'fix'. She shot cars from the pssengers seat with her tiny RX100 MIII. Here is a example of what she delivered to people from the various clubs:

This past Thursday with all her staples removed and the terrible purple bruising down to a minimum, she got to ride the bike. Her new knee can be seen.

She is improving daily, and I can't wait till she is 100% ready to go, as I miss my shooting partner, it isn't the same without her. She makes all of us better.

She has gotten tremendous support from the local community, it made me realize what a impact she has had on a lot of people.

Keep getting better Lucille.
    Last edited by LuSan; May 7 2016 at 02:50 PM.

Thank you Lu!!!

I miss not being with you, but I will heal and look to be out all summer improving my photography and having fun.

It was fun getting out and driving to San Antonio New Mexico, I loved riding shotgun in Chantilly Lace and capturing cars in motion.

As for the rolling shots I find the Rx100 MIII perfect, due to its built in ND filter. Since I used a slow speed of 1/50sec I turned the ND filter on to compensate for the light I was allowing to hit the sensor, I stopped down
    to f/6.3.

The shots came out ok, but I need to improve. I should have used a slightly faster shutter speed to get a sharper image yet still convey motion. Anyways thanks for taking me and allowing me to get my fix.
    Many of the car clubs were happy to get some rolling shots.

the HepKitty from Hepcat City.

Here is another example of the type of shot I can get from Chantillys passengers seat. a knee surgery won't stop me.

Sony Rx100 MIII, 24mm f/5.6, ISO125, 1/160sec.

First about the knee I am heading in the same direction I have had my knee cleaned out and he will not go any further as he has shaved off close on to all the bone he can. So not being able to move freely is hard when we are in this hobby. I know I can't get down low and I just do what I can as you are doing.
    It is good that you are now on the mend and I hope it all works out really good for you as your eye for a good shot is clearly visible with your shots you post.
    But please don't push yourself too hard too quick as this will make healing take twice as long.

To your shots posted here and I like the motion shown on the Nissan shot and must admit to doing this thing also.
    It a new way to take a few shot while on the move.
    The light flames in the paint jog on the Red Chevy look really good on the car but not sure if I would want them on my car but appreciate what has gone to get them to look as good as they do.
    Correct me if I am wrong but the Black GTO is the Holden Monaro but rebadge for your market there before they were shipped there.
    The White Chevy is what I think we may be getting soon as our Holden is not going to be made anymore.
    But Australia is more of a 4 door car people and these are 2 doors. So I wonder what will happen.
    Are we going to have to change to being 2 door car people, not real sure on this point.
    The old house looks like something from the movies. I particularly like this shot as it just looks so right.
    Thanks for post these for us to look at.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

Lu and Lucille,

Amazing post and thanks for sharing all the info and updates with us My Dad recently got his knee replaced and is doing excellent now, so I have no doubt you will be fully recovered in no time! Amazing frames as always and I do like the built in ND filter a lot as well. A great feature and I wish the RX10 III had one, but it does not appear the case.

It's so nice to hear how critical your team is and when a player is missing the whole team feels it! I can totally relate to the pressure of a wedding, and not having the normal support can be crazy stressful. Good for you guys getting it done and making the best of a necessary upgrade in the knee department. You must be mobile and pain free as best as possible to enjoy life as we try and do.

Thanks again for sharing and updating guys I'm really happy to see you recovering so well Lucille, and Lu is a super hero as far as I can tell! You guys are a fantastic team....

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

I managed to get a few shots off with Lu's help. I am now off of the walker but I still move slowly.

We went to a local weekly car meet, I had the A7S and 25mm Batis set on a tripod and used a remote to trigger the shutter. I normally only shoot with a tripod when doing long exposures, but need to use it as I recover. It felt good to fire off this image, I love photography and I need to do it.

Getting images at a car meet can be rather tough. Especially when the cars are parked next to each other. When I encounter this situation and see a car 'I Just have to Capture'.... I either get real close and shoot wide or I step back and shoot tight with a long focal length. The wide angle will give goofy distortions which I try and use for a 'artistic advantage', Telephoto will give me background compression and make my subject pop and allow me to shoot very tight.

Here is another image capture, simple yet in your face. The lens used was the wonderful 85mm f/1.4 G Master, this is simply THE BEST OPTIC I have ever shot with. It can make a simple shot stunning.

Elite Member
    so glad...to hear new knee going well......and the pictures welll one word amazing..

keep getting better.
    Awesome to read the whole story....and thanks for sharing it.
    Camera : Sony A6000
    Sony Lens : FE 90mm f/2.8 G OSS Macro , 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS, 10-18mm f/4 OSS ultra wide,FE 16-35mm f/4 OSS ZA Lens
    Sigma Lens : 30mm f/2.8 DN

500 px : https://500px.com/stevemeier

Your new post with that car is so good love to see it myself for real.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200

Plus some Filters

Sorry for the delayed reply Lucille!! Amazing frames and I agree the new GM 85mm f/1.4 lens looks nothing short of stunning! Incredible frames and depth, color, contrast, bokeh, etc... Serious POP

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Sorry for the delayed reply Lucille!! Amazing frames and I agree the new GM 85mm f/1.4 lens looks nothing short of stunning! Incredible frames and depth, color, contrast, bokeh, etc... Serious POP

Jay

The 85mm G Master, it doesn't get any better.

So sweet to see. And they say red is not the colour of the car you really want. Well they do here.
    I once took a red car in to trade and they made a song and dace about the colour. But yet had a lot of red cars in their yard.
    But I think red suits cars really well as shown here.

Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200

Plus some Filters

Nothing short of incredible, but it does remind me of the Batis for sure

Thanks again for sharing and I hope the recovery is going well!!

Jay

Pop! Pop! Pop!

I am very much trying to take my photography to another level, I like 3d pop, and I really want to draw people right into my subject and BAM! Punch em in the mouth!

Sony A7R II and 85mm G Master.

Well, photos like this will do that every time! The eye contact is killer in addition to all other aspects of perfection I can't wait to get that lens and your photographer does seam to have even more pop lately I must say...

Thanks for sharing and how's the knee?

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Well, photos like this will do that every time! The eye contact is killer in addition to all other aspects of perfection I can't wait to get that lens and your photographer does seam to have even more pop lately I must say...

Thanks for sharing and how's the knee?

Jay

I covered 2 major events here in Albuquerque in the car scene, they were 'all dayers', and I had soreness and swelling in the knee. I am told by my therapist this will be the case for around 6 months. I am not in pain but there is a weird throbbing sensation.

I have resumed normal activities. A client hired me to capture her baby's 1st birthday, here is a sample of that little angel:

Also the Rockabilly Band Whiskey Kiss from Phoenix arranged for me to cover their event and it was a blast! I was able to dance again, another test passed with the knee. When I cover Artists
    I usually dance around with the camera as I am photographing, I can't help it.

Last edited by Lucille; Jun 12 2016 at 11:56 AM.

Incredible captures and quality photography Lucille! You are one of the best I have ever seen for sure

Thanks again for sharing and that little girl is adorable, not to mention the insane depth of field and killer bokeh! That concert photo is also top quality on all accounts!!

It's great to here you knee is doing so well, and yes it will throb for a few months based on my Dad's knee replacement. back to normal activities is awesome to hear and great job with the often brutal and time consuming recovery process

Jay

I captured this a few weekends ago, She's Back!

Excellent capture Lu Thanks for sharing!!

Jay